Thread: Waterproofs

Hello, I've been looking through many pages to get some waterprrofs sorted for a 2 month trip to SE Asia, when I had an idea of taking a poncho, something to laze around on and something to keep me dry, jobs a good un. Does anyone know of any decent items available, I want to stay clear of any camo / army items for obvious reasons.

I'd abandon any hope of staying dry - with a waterproof or a poncho!

Just take a lightweight tarp to bivvy under...

Cheers, not actually going for a few months but trying to get a few things sorted. I'm hoping i'll arrive out of the rainy season and we'll be lodge and hostelling it so just want something to pack instead of my normal waterproofs so if they do go walkies im only losing a few quid and it'll keep my pack dry also.

Field & Trek do a waterproof poncho. Try the 'Shopping partners' link, left.

I'd suggest buying a poncho/cape when you get there - bound to be cheaper and more choice (but nb size comments below). I like capes 'cos they give an illusion of shelter in heavy rain.

Consider getting a Ventile shirt from www.west-winds.co.uk for general wear and to stop the condensation inside the cape from being too annoying. Get one a size too large and you have a ready-made, lightweight, waterproof windcheater (think boat trips). Snag is, they're dark khaki and quite smart - if you don't like the military look :-((

Capes work best when you can throw them quickly over packs, hats and other baggage, so get one that's big and long at the back . Sleeves aren't necessary but they're 'handy' if you need to work outside the cape.

The poncho-type (open both sides)is a pain in windy conditions. I prefer the zip-up variety (for which one needs sleeves to get at the zip!) A zip opening makes it easier to put the cape on over a bush hat too.

As for your normal waterproofs, in theory, Gore-tex, etc, won't work in a hot climate (no temperature differential) and rumour control says that's true in practice too. Someone on this forum will know if this is correct.

Mini Goon
    If it's not windy the best breathable, waterproof available is a large golfing umbrella strapped to your ruck sack.

It will keep both you and your sack dry without any condensation and both your hands will be free as well.

Didnt know the thing about the gore tex so thats good, cheers. Have seen a ripstop trek mates poncho for £25 that looks good tho no guy points, maybe i can sort some myself and by all accounts it looks pretty small in terms of pack size.

For guying points use small pebbles string.... Wont rip out like an eyelet might.

Yes, but before I'm formally introduced to Dr Gore's lawyers, I think I'd like to change 'doesn't work in a hot climate' to 'is alleged to have compromised breathability under simultaneous conditions of elevated heat and humidity, eg, in rain forests'.
    Pheww!

The material will, of course, remain waterproof, just like any other plastic sheet.

Pebble strings?

How about Integral Designs
    "Sil Poncho"?

http://www.thru-hiker.com/reviews.asp?subcat=4&cid=67

Available from Backcountrygear.com.

I ordered 2 last week, waiting for delivery. Will replace a Lair tarp+rain gear for me & my girlfriend. (Shipping was $30).

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar
    > Pebble strings?

I'm sure Mark meant to write 'pebbles and string', meaning to put a small pebble in a corner of the tarp, wrap the tarp around it and tie the string around the resulting lump. Acts as a load-spreader. You can even buy 'synthetic pebbles' to do the job...

You might want to try stuff made out of EPIC. I've got some Macpac Essence pants and they're very water resistent but very breathable. Craghoppers do a jacket for about £60 which I was thinking of getting. If you wear a wicking base layer you might be comfortable in a humid climate with EPIC. Anyone tried it?

The 'breathability' problem is potentially one of negative enthalpy rather than tiny 'oles. I can't believe that someone hasn't popped up to congratulate/slag off the manufacturer of an expensive jacket for its performance on the Mountains of the Moon or the Mekong Delta yet. Have I missed a bank holiday or something?

Oh, and since dampness will invariably occur, take athletes foot remedies / fungicide stuff. Trench foot is bad enough but when it starts cracking...

Ugh.