Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: winter hill meet.

‹bermensch
    hi all following some advice from other omers im gonna try organise a meet for some time inbetween xmas and new year. so the actual day/itinary are open to debate. i can do 27th/28th/29th/or 30thdeconly as working the rest of the time. so any of those days that you are free please get in touch if you are interested, maybe then the daywhich is best for most people is the daywe will opt for. hope thats not too complicated and hope we can sort something out. cheers les. blimey sorry that should be 28th/29th/30th/31st of dec sorry

Hi,

Where are you thinking of having it?

Cheers

‹bermensch
    hi steve i was thinking to meet horwich or very near to there, easy to get there by car bus or train,

Hi Lfenbo, Forgive me but there are parts of the UK I am familar with (I am from Ireland) I had a look on Google Maps and from what I can see Horwich is near London or by the Lakes, I presume its the later I am in Scotland myself during those dates.

cheers

‹bermensch
    sorry smm horwich is in lancashire at the southern end of the west pennine moors about 12 to 15 miles west of manchester. scotland sounds good hope ya have a good trip cheers

Cheers Lfenbo

Ultra King

I'll be doing it from Rivington on Feb 12th as one of the idiots doing the Anglezarke Amble. Its a LDWA challenge walk that is a good laugh despite being 24 miles in 10 hours in winter. Should take about 7 hours or less I reckon. I want to get as close to 6.5 hours as I can. Even 6 hours would make me happy. They do snacks at each checkpoint and alsoa good hotpot at the end too. Can't knock that. You are welcome to join the 200 or so people also doing it.

The mast on winter hill has ice warning signs. Apparently in very cold conditions it forms icicles on the cables holding it up which can cpome down to cause injury to some. I heard from somone who has seen this happen. Not the injury but the icicles dropping. Bitter weather at times up there I think.

Bit too far for me to make it down there that often. Will be a 5 am start for me on that day as it kicks off at 8am. I would like to do something down there one day Ifenbo. I will keep an eye out for another opportunity to join you on a walk next year. Used to walk RIvington Pikes as a young kid in all seasons. REmeber it as my first proper winter walk when about 8 or 9. We were only on the paths through from the centre in RIvington but we were walking on half metre deep drifts at times. Then falling through and being unable to get out. Fun times for a kid to get soaked on a snowy walk. Snowball fights and slipping down hillsides without a sledge! First timne I did the anglezarke amble it brought back so many memories.

‹bermensch
    hi pc thanks for the input, the anglezarke amble looks good i might just join you if i am free then. yes the ice warning signs are still there i avoid the problem by walking long way round and so avoiding the access road for the tv mast. the weather can be surprisingly bitter sometimes and i like that so close to where i live now. if you cant make the meet your more than welcome to get in touch anytime you are in this area. i tend to avoid the rivington side as thats where it tends to get busy especially at weekends. 6 hours to do 24 miles up there would be good going especially as how boggy it can be. cheers les.

I'll keep an eye on this spot if I'm allowed internet access over the festive period. If it turns into a solid day's meet, and there's a good weather forecast, then I'd be able to get to Horwich Parkway by train. Could always twang the cables holding the mast on Winter Hill and send all those icicles flying!

Might be interested in that, been around Anglezarke/Winter Hill many times, day and night...Might even try a little "wildcamp" up there on Xmas eve

‹bermensch
    ok paddy hope ya can make it. it is a bit short notice compared to other planned meets but hopefully we will get a turnout of some sort.

I work best on things that are short notice. A couple of weeks ago I was asked to stand in for someone who'd been booked to deliver a slide show. They phoned one Monday, wanted me to talk on the Thursday, and it still felt like a long way ahead! This afternoon someone phoned to ask if I'd go out for a walk. When? Oh... let's say in the next couple of minutes! That's MY kind of short notice!

Paddy, get your kit on, we're off for a walk!

‹bermensch
    so thats me and three possibles so far then

Bump!

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight Shadow View Post

Paddy, get your kit on, we're off for a walk!

Of course... I reserve the right to look out of the window on the day of the walk... and if it's lashing with rain... to say "Not on your nelly!"

If it's really cold and frosty... that would suit me fine!

Would I get picked up from Horwich Parkway... or would I have to walk to the start?

‹bermensch
    i live 20 min walk from parkway paddy and would meet you there if you like. i might not have use of car but if i do will give ya a lift to the start otherwisw were both on shanksys pony.

20 mins wouldn't kill me too much...

But what about map-reading my way to your gaff?

A frustrated hour wandering in and out of cul-de-sacs before breaking down in tears?

‹bermensch
    would be easy to find me but i will meet you at parkway anyway wether have car or not, also if the meet does go ahead i will need to sort out where start of walk would be etc etc, dont like to see a grown man cry

‹bermensch
    bumpety bump... i know this is a short notice meet so could anyone coming let me know please so can sort exact day etc. cheers off to bed now will check in morn for any replys