Thread: 3 peaks in April

Widdler

Is anyone up for the 3 peaks challenge in April?? myself and a friend are hoping to do it and also need a driver??

Who else is up for coming along, maybe fashion a sort of 3 peaks challenge race?

Why not do the welsh 3000s instead - you wont need a driver then, it's harder and you'll save on fuel.

No thanks. Take a look at http://www.blencathra.org.uk/ukrw/n3pc.html for some reasons to think about an alternative challenge.

Widdler

However, Peter I have lots of experience on mountains and munroes so fingers crossedI won't be needing a mountain rescue team called out, by paying for fuel and campsites at the start and beginning I will be contributing to local economies, consider that the driver spends 5 hours in the towns surrounding the 3 peaks thus spending money, I take a strong approach about littering and IDO NOT EVER litter, I want to do it in the best time possible thus will save my eating for the car journeys, I have also always been taught "leave only foot-prints, take only photographs" If a driver was to speed between destinations then it would be obvious and is against the rules of the challenge and somewhat less importantly UK law, can you honestly say you always obey speed limits??

And due to the amount of energy one would use trying to summit the 3-peaks then I don't think water would cut it as a form of hydration, due to the lack of necessarynutrients i.e. salt and sugar required for the physical exertion to complete the 3 peaks.

So whilst some so-called mountaineers may cheat and do not do anything to help our image, most of us are good guys.

You're on a hiding to nowt, hawthorn; you'll find precious little support for the so-called challenge on here I'm afraid.

If you're that experienced you'll find it way too easy anyway. Do the Welsh 3000s instead. Or the Bob Graham Round. Plenty of scope for record breaking on those

Widdler

Whilst the Welsh 3000s looks fun and challenging and indeed I will probably be doing it, to people outside of the outdoors community which would you rather give your money to considering its for charity?

You have a point. But if folks stopped doing it the big charidee organisers would be forced to look at alternatives and folks outside the outdoors community would soon adapt.

The National 3 peaks simply isn't that challenging. Lardy office workers manage it day in, day out during the summer months. The biggest challenge is for the driver.

I'd rather give money to people who are actually pushing themselves beyond their normal limit. Explaining that you'll be doing 15 mountains in 24hrs rather than just 3 mountains and two road trips in 24hrs should go a long way towards attaining any funds you hope to raise for charity.

The lad I climb indoor with isn't a hill person at all, he's a road racer, and the other week he rocked up and declared that he wanted to do a challenge to push himself. He'd decided on the 3 Peaks and wanted me to do it too. I suggested doing the W3000s, as it was harder, blah blah blah. He wasn't too impressed at all however until I mentioned it was 15 mountains and he's have to do them in 15hrs, he was fit enough and I know I can do it as well. So off he went not too happy about this, until he mentioned it to a few lads at his gym who were all seriously impressed by the 15 mountains in 15hrs.

Find something that impresses you - that you'll find hard in the mountains. People will respect that a whole lot more IMO than the usual charity trail.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do tho and I hope you raise plenty of funds.

Quote Originally Posted by hawthorn View Post

Whilst the Welsh 3000s looks fun and challenging and indeed I will probably be doing it, to people outside of the outdoors community which would you rather give your money to considering its for charity?
    I donate to folk if I support the CHARITY, even if it is just a 5Km jog like the Race for Life that my daughter does every year in memory of a friend who died of cancer at a young age. I don't care if she sits in custard, jogs 5Km or climbs 29 mountains; the charities I support will get the same value donation from me if someone I know makes the effort to get off their arse to do something. And some of them get an annual donation anyway.

BTW, I hate High Street Chuggers and they get bobbins from me.

hawthorn, you've missed the point... that you don't need the MRT or that you don't drop litter doesn't alter the point that plenty of people do, and the more people do the 3PC the more it encourages more people to do the 3PC and the more the negative aspects become problems.

As with Ninja Marmot, I'll donate to support the charity. But I wouldn't donate to someone doing the 3PC because the money spent on petrol could be going to the same charity notionally being supported and the most challenging thing is staying awake driving. And while I'll donate to the charity I might put my hand in deeper for a better challenge, so a local mountaineering club did a (no driving) "most Munros in 24 hours" and they did well enough that I gave a bit more. Jamie Andrew's "Titanium Man" challenge similarly got a bit more.

Sorry... I'm giving an honest opinion that I think it's a Bad Idea and you can have more fun and raise just as much doing something else with less impact.

Pete.

What's the problem with giving direct to charity?

Instead of paying for fuel for the car... give it to charity!

Cut out the middlemen... don't climb anything... just give the money!

Too easy that Paddy!

Must admit that when I did the W3000s twice last year, a few people said to do it for charity but at the end of the day I was doing for my own enjoyment. About the only thing I would ask people money for, would be if I walked into an room full of birds of the feathered variety - I'd want at least a quid a minute! I know just how uncomfortable, scared and panicky I would be. In fact I'm not even sure I could do it. That's my phobia and it would be outside my comfort zone. Walking hills really isn't.

Too easy?

It's the only way I'll do it!

Seriously... why should anyone have to go on holiday to convince me to give to a good cause. If it's a cause I want to support, and if I have the money to spare, then the money is theirs. I don't sign up with 'chuggers', because it's well known that the first donation goes to the private companies that hire them. I don't give through Just Giving because again, it's a private company that takes a cut... several millions of quid per year! Nope... when I give to charity I want absolute guarantees that all my money is going where I want it to go. No middlemen... no fees... no free holidays... just money direct to where it's needed.

Paddy, pardon my ignorance... what's a 'chugger'?

Quote Originally Posted by Mick w. View Post
    Paddy, pardon my ignorance... what's a 'chugger'?
    Charity Mugger...

Those lot on the streets in tabards who greet you with a friendly smile... And then try to get you to sign a direct debit form.

Thanks for answering that Mr Sworld...

And it's often the case that a sum equivalent to the first year's direct debit actually goes into the pockets of the people who employ the chuggers, because they're just doing a job, after all, and they have to be paid. If someone cancels their direct debit after a year, it basically means that the charity they thought they were supporting gets nothing. Nope... not even a penny. That sort of practice just makes me keep my eyes open, and I won't part with any cash if I think someone else is going to pocket it before it reaches the charity concerned. In my opinion, there are far too many people getting fat on money that should be going to charity, and it seems that only the loose change finally gets through the system.