Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: billy no mates

‹bermensch
    hi all recently moved to horwichnear bolton lancsand have lost most of my walking mates, anyone near here want to meet up, i do like to wlk on my own sometimes but also would like a bit of company sometimes either local or trips to lakes wales etc, i generally dont have access to a car so more than willing to contribute to any travel costs.work shifts so am free both during week and weekends depending what shift im on. cheers les.

‹bermensch
    bump

Ifenbo,

Get to one of the OM Meets. Plenty of the regulars live oop north.

‹bermensch
    yea ive considered that nick i just nothad time off work at the same time as the meets, thanks for the reply though was begining to feel invisible

....eh? Who said that?

I've not got to a meet either, I'd like to one day when the dates are right....

‹bermensch
    excactly , also then got to get the other half to agree with it

That's a seperate issue

‹bermensch
    yes will cross that bridge when the opportunity arises . anyway thanks for bringing this thread alive. If only between ourselves .

my pleasure, roll on tomorrow night for the Test!!

‹bermensch
    yes will be there (in spirit anyway) 2.30am start tomorrow morning .

OK, I was about to miss the first day!

Thanks. 0700 my time tomorrow and tomorrow is a holiday for Ashoura so I can work from home!!!!

Since you two seem to have been whiffling on to each other in rather sad isolation, I thought I'd chuck in my two pennyworth...

The best way to be able to go on a meet is to organise one, or help to organise one. Decide where you'd like to have a meet, and then post up asking for preferences on dates / campsites. You can always stick your head into one of the chat thread where quite a few of the OM regulars hang out - Windy or Bennachie - and ask for opinions. You'll get some, whether they'll be at all helpful or not is another matter...

Organising a meet is dead easy because it doesn't actually require much effort - find a location, find a weekend. That's it.

‹bermensch
    thanks for the input kate i will take it on board and have a think. i have stuck my head in those threads u mention a couple of times and end up losing the plot very quickly . although i have had time on my hands this morning normally i wouldnt be able to keep up with the chat. . have been hovering around the meet up in march but not able to commit at the moment.

Horwich... that's at the foot of Winter Hill... and every winter I keep thinking I might climb it. I have an aged aunt on one side of the hill and a cousin on the other... and I'll be walking on various parts of the Pennines over Christmas and New Year.

‹bermensch
    thats right paddy ive been over it too many time to count from all directions since moving here. the moors around it are quite substantial being so near urban areas and its quite easy to walk all day without too much tarmac getting in the way. if you are over this way over xmas let me know maybe we could join up at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Dillon View Post
    Horwich... that's at the foot of Winter Hill... and every winter I keep thinking I might climb it. I have an aged aunt on one side of the hill and a cousin on the other... and I'll be walking on various parts of the Pennines over Christmas and New Year.

A good walk, Winter Hill. There's some otherinteresting routes around there, too. 'Underrated', I think the West Pennines. I've noticed the number of walkers on themhas become higher, in recent years, though, often people who've travelled a fair way.

Is that avatar of yours Darwen Tower?

lfenbo... call a West Pennines mini-meet for some time over Christmas and New Year and see what happens. There must be some folks right on your doorstep who'd want to walk off the Christmas pud. Last year, the Didster and me climbed Pendle Hill in the snow, and if I remember right, we arranged it only a day or so in advance.

I don't know exactly what I'll be doing yet, but I'm generally able to leap at last-minute opportunities if the wind is blowing in the right direction. I don't have a car, so I can only start from places that have good public transport.

‹bermensch
    yes neil you can wander over to anglezarke moors with the wellington bomber memorial by the lead mines clough, also over to your way and darwin hill, via great hill etc. theres also the pike an two lads hills in front of horwich though these can be very busy at weekends . also holcombe moor. so yes plenty to go at just not quite up to the lakes welsh an scottish mountains but good for when cant get away.