Thread: The Bowes Loop

Mini Goon
    The Bowes Loop

The 1st of May has been arranged for this fine awe inspiring expedition all FM/OM members are welcome (that is apart from the really old ones who will only hold us up anyway)(I`m not mentioning any names here, but they know who they are) I`ll be driving up to Bowes and the meeting point will be Bowes railway station, say about 8.30am on saturday 1st May, I don`t know the town as I`ve not been before, but know they have a preserved railway there and have renovated the station, so it should be an easy location to find

this will be a circular trek of about 16 miles,many on low lying ground (so no really steep hills) from Bowes the expedition will be walking south on the Pennine Way down as far as the Tan Hill Inn (you can have a pint here if you wish), we will then double back but take the Baldersdale PW branch, across the mighty A66 until we eventually arrive at Baldersdale, from whence we return southwards towards Bowes

We expect to cover the 16 mile in around 6 or 7 hours, no psycho stuff

anybody else interested please email me.

Mini Goon
    thanks for the emails, there`s about six of us at the moment,its turning out like a joint Outdoor Magic/Fishing Magic Trip

Mini Goon
    please note our new meeting place, new meeting place apparantly the railway station is derelict

The Ancient Unicorn Inn.

On the Pennine-Way, Bowes, Teesdale, County Durham, England.

I've walked out of Bowes a couple of times, there's a little car park by the community centre at NY 996 135 (just off the crossroads at the east end of the village) where you can leave the motor.

Mini Goon
    many thanks for that Stouffer, most helpfull mate

fancy being a guide mate?

heh :-) thanks for the invite but i'm actually off a wee bit further along the A66 on saturday to do cross fell.

I've done a shorter version of that loop a couple of times tho, paths are mainly ok, and as you said there's no overly steep bits. God's Bridge (NY957126) is a cool spot to sit and have a sarnie. And don't spend ages looking for Ravock Castle marked on the map over the other side of the A66 as its nothing more than a few stones! Cool little castle in Bowes tho.

mind I have to admire going all the way to tan hill and back just to make sure there's a pub en-route!! Just hope it's open by the time you get there!

Mini Goon
    cheers mate, I should hit Cross Fell in a few weeks, working myself North on the PW

Looking at the OS map it looks pretty bleak up those parts, looking forward to that section, Cross fell of course being the highest point on the PW

yes I have the Wainwright books, Gods Bridge and Ravock Castle are famous PW landmarks, I`m looking forward to photographing them when I arrive, , passed another Gods Bridge down on the Three peaks route near Ribblehead last year, seems to be a popular name

have a good trip mate and thanks again