Thread: Must dos in Exmoor

Goon

For a first time visiter, what MUST I do in Exmoor?

Thanks

I think that the walk along the valley of the river Barle, up from Dulverton, is quite wonderful. A stunning river (I'm biased - I caught my first ever salmon there, on Turn Pool, just above the sadly now defunct Tarr Steps Hotel, with a very small - size 16 - Connemara Black fly) in a valley of untouched English woodland. Great villages (especially Withypool, with its splendid pub, which is one of my favourites anywhere.)

It's also great country to explore on horseback, as you'll notice if you're there in deer-hunting season.

If you stumble across a bivvy-bag hidden in woodland near a river somewhere round there, with fish hanging from an oak-branch nearby, say hullo - it may be me!

(My avatar, of Snufkiin camping and fishing beside a river, is meant by me to refer to the Barle)

Goon
    Thankyou Kisk that sounds very interesting. I have actually beento Exmoor once before, but only for a day, and I was impressed with the ancient woodland on offer.

Always worth walking from the coast at Bossington, up through Horner Woods to the top of Dunkery Beacon.

Quote Originally Posted by Kish Logan View Post

I think that the walk along the valley of the river Barle, up from Dulverton, is quite wonderful. A stunning river (I'm biased - I caught my first ever salmon there, on Turn Pool, just above the sadly now defunct Tarr Steps Hotel, with a very small - size 16 - Connemara Black fly) in a valley of untouched English woodland. Great villages (especially Withypool, with its splendid pub, which is one of my favourites anywhere.)
    Damn! I didn't know that. There was an excellent beat on the Barle that belonged to the hotel. Any idea who has it now, Kish?

I haven't been toThe Royal Oak at Withypool for years but if it hasn't changed, it is indeed an excellent pub.

For walking,The Chainsprovides a nice moorland walk and the Lyn gorgeprovides a spectacular (for England) riverside walk. Also, don't miss the Valley of the Rocks - very impressive sea cliffs.

The cliffs at the Valley of the Rocks are pretty good. This part of the coast have the highest sea cliffs in the UK

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Damn! I didn't know that. There was an excellent beat on the Barle that belonged to the hotel. Any idea who has it now, Kish?
    I know every inch of that beat. I fished it every September when there was a good run of water, until Desmond Keane, who ran the place, was suddenly chucked out. I fished at his leaving party.

The hotel has now been turned into a private house, belonging to banking friends of Boris Johnson, and the Tarr Steps water is in private hands. There is fishing to be had lower down the Barle, towards Dulverton (though I've never tried it), through Patrick, who now runs Lance Nicholson's tackle shop in Dulverton, and is very helpful. (Most of my chalk-stream fishing is done with a tiny cane rod that the late Lance made for me).

If you fished there often on the hotel water, we probably met.

Thanks for the link to the Barle Fishing Club, Kish, I hadn't heard of it before.

Unfortunately I never fished the Tarr Steps Hotel's water - I only knew of it by reputation. It's sadthat the water has fallen into the hands of banksters.

I'm seriously thinking about joining the Dulverton Angling Association next season as it's only £25.00.

When I had a week or so in Exmoor some years ago, I followed the coast path, then headed inland over the highest part of the moors. Lousy weather, but otherwise great fun.