Thread: 20_Derelict_Works.JPG

Oooo.....I love it at the miners deserted village....so spooky!

This is the abandoned works on the broad col between Cwm Croesor and Cwmorthin (GR 665 462). We went through it on an overnighter from Croesor, taking in Cnicht and Moelwyn Mawr, and camping up near Moel Druman.

Just beyond the buildings was a fine example of modern Health and Safety in the hills - the local council had posted a notice closing a public footpath which went up past a large spoil heap, they'd even put a crowd barrier and a piece of orange tape across the start! Of course we just walked around it but I guess it meant we couldn't sue them if we stubbed our toe on a bit of slate

The Welsh hills are full of old industy like this and I generally find it adds a lot to a walk, even if I don't know much about it. It's another world to imagine the communities based up there undertaking 'hard labour', especially when the cloud is low and the rain blowing horizontally....

I find fascinating the density of population that there would have been in places like Snowdonia 100-150 years ago, there's so much industrial archaeology in the National Parks, mines riddled over Snowdon for example. Really interesting

Ah, I found the 'Heath and Safety' photo.....

Yes Matt, I've been there! I loved it and agree it certainly adds interest to a walk!

Ooh, naughty MoS!! I walked up that way when we had that bank holiday meet at Dolwyddelan. We did the Nantlle Ridge on the sunday, but on the saturday a couple of us did a circuit from Tanygrisiau over the bwlch between Moelwyn Bach and Moelwyn Mawr, to Croesor, up Cnicht, then Cwmorthin and back out along the llyn. We couldn't find the top of the footpath down the spoil heaps from the derelict village so ended up taking the track instead!

Mini Goon
    Vivian quarry (near Nantle) is worth a walk around as well. There are some interesting buildings on the side and (if its still there) part of an old Newcommen (spelling?) steam engine. There's also lots of buildings under the water as well and the remains of the drag line crane, including cables and bucket.

Quarries are spooky places

Mini Goon

There's someting about Vivian Quarry, its always nice - even when the weather is foul and I've had a crap dive. I really ought to do some walking in that area.