Thread: Six nations rugby

Anyone planning to attend any of the six nation's rugby games?

If so which matches with a view to a possible meet up?

Ultra King Ddyrchafedig Gyrrwr (Beic Modur)'s Avatar

All of the home games @ the millennium stadium.

After the displays by England and Wales over the weekend, I can't wait for the opener, even if it is on a Friday night!

The problem for Wales will be what to do with the roof if rain is likely. Do they close it to allow their outsides to demonstrate their superiority(?) with a dry ball, or leave it open so that their forwards can blitz a soft(?) England pack?

I agree though that its a game everyone should be looking forward to, and not just Englishmen and Welshmen.

I have to admit Frum, I don't like the roof open/closed debate.

As an ex player just like you, and a referee, I prefer to take the rough with the smooth, rugby is an outside game, and you play what is in front of you and to the conditions that prevail.

The only caviat to that though is that with the MS pitch being so "fragile," if the roof IS open to heavy rain, then the state of the pitch might spoil the game for both sides and supporters alike.

I hate with a vengeance the thought that one way or the other, the open/closed roof delivers a tactical advantage to one side or the other, but hey............................................... .......that's professional rugby for you!

We always go to Rome for the away England game (not this time obviously). Cheaper than going to Twickenham with a hotel stop over. The Italians have really started to embrace the sport and Campo de Fiori has an excellent atmosphere between the opposing fans.

Regarding the Millenium Stadium, I've always been of the opinion that the roof should be used for protecting the pitch in the days preceding, but not from conditions on the day. It would save all the arguments as well.

Should be a cracking game never the less and fingers crossed that both sets of players remain in form and fit (and England do the business ).

Not looking forward to watching the WC2011 though. In 2003 my club were doing a beer and breakfast offer at some ridiculous time in the morning (night), it just felt wrong.

I went to the very first 6 Nats game between Italy and England at the Stadio Flaminio - the touts weren't able to sell their tickets and we picked them up at face value just as the match was starting. It was one of the periods I was living in Italy so I was supporting them, rather to the confusion of the Italians in the crowd It has helped them to understand, though, that Inghilterra isn't the same as Gran Bretagna.

That's always been the case with me too Kate, if you don't have a ticket just wait as long as you can before the kick off and you will be able to pick them up at face value. They always end up approaching you with silly offers to start off with as long as you stand your ground they are desperate to get shot of them & just recover their money.

It's always hard work trying to secure tickets before them match but I have been lucky enough a couple of times.

So no one going then?

There are one or two of us hardened fans of the noble game, but I think you will find that the majority on this site either follow the other game involving the "pretty boys" or are "jingoists" and fair weather supporterswho use the annual occasion to take the pizz out of other person's nationality!

There are however pure fans of the game like Frum, Kate, Mal Mawr, Julian and others who appreciate team efforts and put a good game first and nationality second!

Every year mind ewe I still reflect on the Sterophonics song "As long as we beat the English," and whilst some may take offence at it, it is actually a compliment to the "old enemy" in as much as no other game really matters that much.

If as I hope it will be a cracking opener to the 6 nations, if we can beat the English in a sepctacular game, then great, but if the English win in such a game, then hats of to them!

The game comes first!

Welsh twonk!

Quote Originally Posted by Ddyrchafedig Gyrrwr (Beic Modur) View Post

There are however pure fans of the game like Frum, ...
    Who are you calling "pure"? That sort of libel could get me kicked out of the Front Row Union.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ddyrchafedig Gyrrwr (Beic Modur) View Post

The game comes first!
    That will only be true after no side. Until then nothing matters more than winning (while sticking to the spirit of the game, of course ).

Crikey, I finally get to watch one of the Wales games live on tv, and they're awful!! I fear they're going to get shredded by the All Blacks next week. So much thoughtless play

I would say we are going to get slaughtered!

It was on too late here last night so I shall just have to read about it on the net

Tony, I presume you recorded the Welsh game from TV as well as watching at the MS. If so, would you watch again the offense which caused the Welsh penalty try (about 58 minutes on the match clock. To me it looked as if the ball did emerge from the scrum before Fiji tried to pick it up, then Wales should have been penalised for kicking it back in. Now it was a split second decision for the Ref, and well within the limits of his discretion, so I don't suggest that even Fijians have grounds for complaint. Even so, I'd be glad to hear what you think with the benefit of several slow motion replays to help you.

My biggest laugh of the season so far came when the commentator (a Welsh ex-international HALF BACK, who shall be nameless) commented as the front row collapsed for the nth time in that series of scrums "well it must be Fiji's fault because the Welsh have nothing to gain from a collapse". This was just after and just before saying again that a penalty try for Wales was due because of all the collapses. I admire Jones' performance even more because his beard inhibits, by hiding much of his face, the traditional props' technique of getting up from a collapsed front row with an expression of slightly hurt innocence on his face for the Ref's benefit.