Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: outdoors lighters?

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight Shadow View Post
    I have to say this thread leaves me baffled, never thought some much thinking had to go behind what choice of lighter to take camping...
    Perhaps you have a view on the rococo intricacies of shoe laces?

I can dissert at length about cheese....?

‹bermensch
    I got a Silva Helios years ago as a present and it's performed just about faultlessly ever since. Doesn't always light first time, but always at the second or third attempt, and then it will stay lit in the strongest wind. It does drink fuel, but at least I can see how much I've got left. I'd hate to lose it, cos by the sound of it any replacement I might get would probably fail.

Goon
    Without a shadow of a doubt its the PB207, don't buy a cheap Chinese knock off

My has been ultra realiable and it lights meths burners without any chance of burnt fingers! Its also useful for lighting my bushbuddy

You can point the flame downwards with fingers out the way. Plus the reservoir is huge and you can see how much fuel is left. Its surprisingly economical too

By chance, I was also looking for a good outdoor lighter and bought a Primus Power Lighter a couple of weeks ago. It seems to work very well. Has one of those powerful pencil flames. I even managed to solder some brass plate with it!

It has a window for the reservoir to check on fluid capacity, and has a built-in nozzle guard which swings out of the way when operated. Good for keeping pocket fluff out of the nozzle. It was about £15 online but seems to have been built to last.

As an added item, I also bought the Primus Filling Adapter as well. It's a metal screw-on nozzle so I can re-fill lighters from big butane stove cartridges! How cool is that?

as a smoking walker of some 24 years experience now...

... i have ended up carrying plastic refillers - but the ones with the press down button rather than the wheel, since that can hurt in the cold. if they're full of gas and the flame is turned right up, then even howling winds don't matter if you huddle over them.

i had a couple of turboflames, but not only were they comparatively very heavy, they also ran out hideously quickly - and if you're out for 3 or more days then it's another thing to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by Posh Totty View Post

as a smoking walker of some 24 years experience now...

... i have ended up carrying plastic refillers - but the ones with the press down button rather than the wheel, since that can hurt in the cold. if they're full of gas and the flame is turned right up, then even howling winds don't matter if you huddle over them.

i had a couple of turboflames, but not only were they comparatively very heavy, they also ran out hideously quickly - and if you're out for 3 or more days then it's another thing to worry about.
    you're not that old Posh!

i started smoking at 14

i started walking hills at 3 (allegedly, i remember nooooothing)

well done,

you have now told 50000 people your age

fortunately...

it's the age i am, or it might have been embarrassing...

annnnnyway, back to the thread.....

I have a Helios lighter and a turboflame too

the helios does stay alight really well but like a car engine, you can flood this little beast if you put too much fuel in it

the turboflame is very robust and is my current lighter of choice

Quote Originally Posted by Imperial Dave View Post

the turboflame is very robust and is my current lighter of choice
    yes, but it's only robust for about two days. and it's only robust because it's heavy.

having said that, my single biggest lust object in the lighter line was a desert turboflame someone gave me, that didn't even bother with a flame, but just blasted disintegrating air over a filter at a zillion degrees c. it could cope with anything, but was heavy.

admitedly it is a tad heavy........but it is reassuringly chunkily heavy

ok so it seems turboflame is the name in lighters!

surprised to see no one banging on about true utilities stuff. which i guess confirms my experience of them as utter pish. still their keyring lighter thing looks smart!

as far as i can tell the pb207 mentioned above is just a more expensive turboflame original clone. but with a clear bottom. as such i would imagine it is equally useless against grit and sand (my old TF jammed up irrepairably within a week)

maybe i'll try one of the phoenix or turbo2's. turbo2 looks nice. dunno about fuel consumption though...

surely im not the only one who would love to have essentially a turbo-clipper? simple, indestructible (well ok new clippers suck, but maybe like a swan copy), refillable, convenient prodding device (all lighters should come standard issue with pokey sticks!) but with a windproof flame and waterproof cap?

What about somethingclassy like a vintage Ronson or something?

I once bought a storm lighter from ASMC, the actual lighter lookedpretty similarto the lighter part in the Helios which believe it or not appears to be the same as the lighter part of the Windmill Delta. The one from ASMC was ‚?¨4.99, the Helios £17.99 and the Windmill Delta £39.95. I'dlike to thinkthe actual lighter part only looks similar.

Mini Goon

True Utility: wrong in every sense, cheap rubbish posing as mid priced work horse. Wasted my money twice (mug) on two different models they don't last.

Better off with good honest cheap lighter.

Goon
    Don't underestimate how long the lighters last. I guarantee the PB207 would last way longer than 2 days, probably more than a week, even with constant use for lighting fags etc. Seriously, I'm amazed just how long it does last.

I don't know who knocked off who but I'm a big fan of mine, its very well regarded and rated by owners

Its not heavy at all, only a gram counting SULer would notice it

after looking through the blazer website (makers of the pb207) i have to take back my last comment. it seems both blazer and turboflame claim to have invented the same lighter. im presuming the pb207 is better quality hence the price. either that or just a ripoff like most other fancy cigar lighters.

Still check out the CG001 and Venture on the blazer site. Now THOSE look like their heading in the right direction.

ended up buying a turboflame tb2 in nevisport today, with the assurance from the guy if it brakes anytime soon theyll do something about it! so we shall see. so far it seems much sturdier than my original TF and with no silly vents for sand to get in!

I had a PB207 that worked for years, until eventually it would no longer spark. I am unable to replace the flint, but keep it in a drawer in the hope one day I will find out how to. It really did feel like a quality piece compared to all others, though I have baulked at spending £30+ to replace it.

All lighters I have had since it have been cheap tat in comparison (I only buy the "blue flame" type, not the typical yellow flame lighter). All except one of them have failed fairly quickly too. The one that has survived has no name or numbers on it, but is a dual flame thing with a cap that I bought in Cotswold years ago. Unfortunately my wife has co-opted this lighter as it had proved so reliable (despite getting quite scratched and tatty looking over the years).

I've also got a Silva Helios and Primus Power Lighter. The Helios seems to be holding up well. It lights usually 1st-3rd time, though does have a risk of flooding, as others have reported and also drinks fuel like it was free. Another down side is the flame is invisible rather than a nice blue that many others are. Damn hot when you don't remember to watch out for it, but I guess that is operator error rather than a real problem with the lighter. The Primus looks an odd penguin shape, but is too new for me to really comment on its reliability. I do like the beak on it, which I think will help me avoid removing the hairs from my fingers when lighting stoves. Take a look at a picture of it to understand what I mean!

‹bermensch

Hey if you want an all singing all dancing lighter that is designed to work at different altitudes you could try this...... the Windmill Fielder lighter £66.95!!

www.ee33.co.uk/Lighters/Windmill/c-1-101-279/