Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: outdoors lighters?

ok i know its kinda silly. but i could really do with a decent windproof lighter. i hate zippos and i had a turboflame original once but it stopped working when i got a little bit of sand in my pocket, so no marks for durability there. Ive also heard the more outdoors specific offerings from Silva and such arent worth the money.

Usually i take the good ol' clipper (for rollys, yup i like walking and smoking!) and matches for fires, and just try and huddle out of the wind. but its a PITA and i like having unnecesary things! sooo....

whats the most durable, reliable, windproof, useful, outdoors-proof, awesome lighter going?

A couple of cheapo lighters sold in the pound shop

A firesteel? But it might be interesting trying to light your ciggies with it!

‹bermensch
    The best lighters areIMHO still the see through throwaway lighters. They must be see through to know if you still have enough fuel in your lighter for your trip. Better yet they are so light always carry a spare...

Havent used this shop, and they are very new on the scene, but they have some good lighters at good prices

Firstly this as the main lighter, better than disposable, as its not that great an idea to buy stuff to chuck away, and it has a cover to protect the head

http://www.survivaldepot.co.uk/Turbo...3_1780562.aspx

with a peanut lighter squirreled away someplace as a spare (they are tiny), big bonus on the peanut is that it the lighter fluid is sealed in via an oring to stop it evaporating (unlike zippo)

http://www.survivaldepot.co.uk/-PEAN...3_1857362.aspx

‹bermensch

I go for the really cheap adjustable disposables, where you can see how much gas is left. But I have found sometimes that those with a feeble flint wheel do not work well (at all?) if your hands are wet, so it's worth getting the type with grippy outer rims to the wheels. Just checked my collection - those by Ronson and BALDE look identical and are great, while that by A-Liter looks very similar but has a poorer flin wheel, with smooth outer rim.

I think the better ones, possible the grotty one too, may well have been bought in a set of perhaps 5? I usually carry two, or make take one and a firesteel. But lighting a Nova with the latter is difficult - I burn paraffin and prime with meths.

I can't see the point of spending big bucks on fancy lighters when the disposables are so cheap, light and you can seehow much fuel they contain. But will check the links above - always interested in fire!

‹bermensch

Jon C - they do look fun - thanks! And small bucks, too.

Hmmm...

I prefer Ronson disposable lighters generally as you can see how much fuel you've got, agree that they can be hard to light if your hands are wet so I'd carry a Ronson Piezo version if I expected to have wet hands (surfing for example)

Talking about petrol lighters I actuallyprefer the IMCO Triplex to the Zippo as you don't actually touch theflint wheel, also the fuel tank/wick is sealed at the bottom and removeable once lit so you can use it like a match to reach into a meths stove without getting burned. They only cost about £5 but the fuel evaporates a bit faster than a Zippo.

The absolute worst gas lighter I ever owned was a Silva Helios, the Turboflame ran it a close 2nd. The Helios is nothing more than a cheap plastic lighter in a flash looking plastic outer casing, the tin box it comes in is better quality. The Turboflame is vastly better as far as build quality but you can't tell how much fuel is left and it won't work when it's cold, even if it's been in your trouser pocket. My Helios stopped working the day I got it, took it back for a refund. The Turboflame lasted a bit longer (about a month) but the piezo stopped working.

I use windproof matches as they are....umm, light and work.

I only use piezo lighters (and firesteel) - flint ones are often no good (temporarily) if there is dampness around.

Hoever. Recently went to use 2 different disposable piezos which I'd left in storage. (different kinds - both 4 for £1) - both were empty of fuel and I know that the last time I used them they were over half full - so, not reliable for storing as spares IMO.

Windproof matches are on the shopping list now!

I like the look of that cheap turbo Jon C linked to - thanks.

see they do the Freedom Microlite torch on that site too - brilliant piece of kit - mine gets used all the time - clips to my specs as a mini headtorch!

Become a smoker, you'll soon learn how to lite up in the foulest winds and the heaviest rain...

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight Shadow View Post
    Become a smoker, you'll soon learn how to cough up the foulest phlegm and the perform heaviest breathing after very little effort
    I know
    luckily I gave up years ago

You're a better man than me then...

Nah - I have terrible will power.

But I had a cunning plan - I regularly told everyone and anyone the date I would give up from about 5 years before the day. I couldn't not give up after that - I'd never have lived it down!

Never seen those peanut lighters before, i might get one of the split pea ones as a back up.

"The Turboflame is vastly better as far as build quality but you can't tell how much fuel is left and it won't work when it's cold, even if it's been in your trouser pocket."

Umm, all I can say is "mine does".

I know some folk say they're crap and they break but I've got two that are several years old and just keep on working.

Maybe the older ones were better quality? I know mine was very reluctant to lightoutside at home on cold days even though it was in my pocket, it was good when it did work but mine was very unreliable. In the end it seemed as if whatever made the piezo button return (spring?) broke or the a tab in the button that operated the piezo broke as it didn't make the clicky sound anymore. IIRC the refilling instructions run to 9 steps, the 9th being "if it doesn't work repeat steps 1-8"

I probably should have sent it back but to be honest I'd lost all faith in it by then.

I just use a clipper - I have had the same one for 3 years.

Stuff just works

I have to say this thread leaves me baffled, never thought some much thinking had to go behind what choice of lighter to take camping...

‹bermensch
    Twiglegs - true, but I was glad to have a spare on two occasions this year when I happened to have taken one of the less good lighters with me. I couldn't make the wretched thing work! Luckily the other one had the better flint wheel so I was OK. Lesson learnt.