Thread: GPS for 'caching

Widdler

Hi all

Appreciate this is probably a re-post but I couldn't see that most useful feature of online forums, the Search function.

I'm in the market for a simple GPS system that I plan to use for Geocaching and as a lifeline / back-up for general walking. I usually use a 1.25k or 1.50k OS map as the primary route planning tool so the GPS would be used to store the odd trackpoint / waypoint and to navigate the last few hundred meters to a location (a Cache, for example).

Other featues that would probably be useful are measurement of altitude, total ascent, distance travelled, etc. I don't think I need mapping as this seems to dictate more sophisticated (and more expensive) devicesbut what I do want is for it to be useful globally - so I can use it to nav back to a start point of follow a pre-planned route in France, or Vietnam for example. Conpatibility with GoogleEarth and gpx files also seems like a good idea.

Ideally I'd like a watch-based system for under £100, I'm also considering the Garmin GPS60 (not the Etrek).

ANy advice or suggestions welcome!

Thanks!

I won't try to recommend a gps because I don't do geocaching so don't really know if some are better than others. But pretty much any gps will do the type of things you indicate, certainly the basic Garmin ones do.

But the search facility is right up at the top centre of this page, next to the OM logo... and a quick search for 'gps geocaching' produced a few results.

Widdler
    Cheers, didn't think that related to the forum!

It searches the whole of OM initially, but once the results are returned you can filter it to just the forum, or articles, reviews etc.

If you have a Android phone then the (unofficial) c:geo app is very powerful and will link up with geocaching.com.

It would really depend on what exactly you want from the GPS.

For a good basic GPS, the Garmin eTrex H is very good. It will give you your location in just about any format you desire, it will log waypoints, tracks and store routes downloaded from your computer. It will give you an approximate height, which in my experience, is reasonably close, typically within ±5mtrs.

It also gives you the time of day, sun rise and sunset, along with moon rise and set times.

The only thing it doesn't do, is give you a map to read from, and the software is not compatible with theMAC operating system. But I did say itsa basic GPS, and IMO, a very good one.

You can get one from about £70 if you shop around, though recently I've seen them closer to £80.

I use mine purely to log tracks and download them to my mapping program, along with any new waypoints gathered during the walking or climb.

I have never had any issues using my SatNav. Been caching for several years with no problems. SatNav's sort of blend in when urban caching. Very useful for misdirecting muggles. Although, we did look like idiots running around with it at Virginia Water.

i use my iphone as i can get all the logs maps and sometimes the hints!!

i have a standard etrex as a back up.

i also just bought an ipad and have the app but not used it yet as the iphone is brilliant

Generally I use the official geocaching software on the iPhone which has improved massively over the last year and is now really good. The only real downside to it is a) Needing an iPhone to run it on, and b) Only get about 3-4 hoursout of it using it continuously for caching.

I have also used my Garmin eTrex Vista CX for caching which is just about perfect, apart from having to download the co-ordinates. If you are using geocaching.com they have a web plug in which will download caches to your Garmin (Works fine on Macs actually!) direct from the website. They even show up as little cache symbols on the map display and there is an alert beep from the unit when you get close to it. The unit lasts for about 24 hours on 2 AA batteries, and if you have the UK topo maps installed on it it will also give you a pretty good map display.

Might be worth a look?