Thread: The Lakes, early december.

Hi all,

I'm thinking about going to the SW Lakes, starting at Boot or Fisherground or thereabouts, at the beginning of December. Wild camping for a few days. I've let the year slip away again, and I desperately need to get up there asap, which early December is.

My two main problems are these: I live in Kent (Tunbridge Wells) and train tickets - even 6 weeks or so in advance - are hard to get under 100 each way and; I don't really know that much about winter wild camping.

So I'm looking for someone who's thinking of the Lakes at that sort of time, who might want a car-share or something like that, and who knows how to a) keep warm and b) not get killed by winter-type stuff

(looks like there's one ticket every other day in that time frame that is reasonable, so just meeting up with someone who fits the paragraph 3 description would do... in fact, I'll be honest, that's basically what I'm looking for! Someone who knows how to not die in the Lakes in December, and who has an ironic sense of humour about how fate chooses their hiking partners.)

Thanks, Alfie.

Ultra King

Alfie

if you go on monday the 13th dec, the 12.30 train (euston to ravenglass) has tickets for 20.50 and the return on the friday at 11.18 is 20.50 to.

The Caravan and Camping club site at Ravenglass is good and just next door to the station.

I'm just up the road from you in SE London and i'd love to join you but my wife won't let me

Morning Mick,

Where do you find these tickets? I can never get close to these prices.....

Ultra King
    There is a website called bigbus and the same company has one called bigtrain or something like that. If you book through them you get really cheap train tickets. I know people who have had train tickets from LAncaster to Glasgow for 2.50. If that distance is that much I'm sure the London to Lakes ones will also be cheap.

Thanks TTG.

(Sorry for the slight hijack Alfie)

Ultra King
    Quote Originally Posted by NickNick View Post

Morning Mick,

Where do you find these tickets? I can never get close to these prices.....

Morning Nick and Ttg

Nick, i got those fares from the Virgintrains website.

Ttg, if thats Megabus, i don't think they go north from London.

Just googled bigtrain and got nowhere, I'll try megabus and see.

Thanks Mick and TTG

Oi, you lot!

Thanks Mick. Yes, I was looking on national rail which eventually stooped to provide me with those prices, after nudging me and winking a kind of "First Class, surely, is more you, don't you think?" kind of way. 23 up and 17.50 back, from my home town, which is pretty extraordinary considering it costs almost that just to get to London Bridge before 9.30 on a weekday.

So really all I need now is someone to go with.*

I've wild camped before - though not particularly expertly, judging by the arch of my spine when I eventually took my rucsack off - and, apart from a single Boost wrapper that I chased down the edge of Burnmoor Tarn but failed to retrieve cos it took a violent left and landed in the middle of the water - I think I've got the right kind of respect for the hills etc. But I'm still basically a 'newbie', and going up there on my own in winter is a pretty daunting notion.

So, yes, I guess I'm saying what I've already said again! D'oh.

Anybody else interested in Lakes in December? Perhaps if you happen to be up there and fancy spending one day/night chuckling silently (silently!) at the efforts of a relative ingenue? (I thought I'd better italicise that so I don't sound like too much of a ponce )

Thanks, Alfie.

Ultra King

Alfie

can you activate your PM.

Mick,

I thought I'd already activated it, but upon reflection I realised that I checked the box just after Susan Sarandon called me to arrange dinner tonight, and just before my appearance on Parkinson with Kenneth Williams and Buck Rogers, so I have to assume I dreamt it.

Harumph.

This time I checked it and all that happened was a little tick appeared in the box and then, spookily, the phone rang. So I think it's on now

Initiate
    hi i live in barrow in furness and have wild camped a lot but since kids made an appearance 10 years less in the winter months..but planing more for this winter.i could poss meet up for a night or two depending on my shifts at time.i take my dog on all my day walks and camps so hope thats ok let me know when you have dates and i,ll let you know if i can meet you peter

Hi Peter,

That sounds ideal! Plus dog, too.. perfect. I regret never having taken my dog camping, but she was a bit daft and prone to chasing things over cliffsides etc, so it was probably for the best.

I'll sort out train tickets and then let you know.

Cheers,

Alfie.

Initiate

hi just an idea but i,ve recently bought some freeze dried food off a bloke called leezo(on this site if you search for expidition food im sure youll find it,very tasty easy to make and light may be worth some off your pennys as he starting to run out....the 4 th 5th or 12 th 13 th would be better for me ..if not may be able to meet for just one night..give me a shout sometime and i cud give you some tips on what to take...if you need any pointers that is...had a good camp at three tarns below bowfell yesterday night good sunset sunrise and a clear night ..droped to around -5c but excellent views

peter

Leezo's food is excellent, fond it on the classified section but go there NOW as he is running out.

We're not related and I don't get commission

Ultra King

Hi Alfie

have you got anything booked yet?

Hi Mick,

I haven't yet, mostly because I'm a little worried that my gear isn't up to winter scratch. Especially cos this particular winter is apparently going to be the coldest since the last ice age. I suppose I'm having cold feet..

Then again, I can't wait, so I think I'll probably sort the tickets out when I get back to the UK on Monday

Quote Originally Posted by Alfie Noakes View Post
    this particular winter is apparently going to be the coldest since the last ice age.
    Makes a mental note to get some really boggy moorland walking done!

Ultra King
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfie Noakes View Post

Hi Mick,

I haven't yet, mostly because I'm a little worried that my gear isn't up to winter scratch. Especially cos this particular winter is apparently going to be the coldest since the last ice age. I suppose I'm having cold feet..

Then again, I can't wait, so I think I'll probably sort the tickets out when I get back to the UK on Monday
    Rightio , i've been granted 3 nights for good behaviour.

I was interested in the recommendations of Leezo's food and it appears that it could be BE-Well meals.

http://www.bewellexpeditionfoods.com/Base-Camp-2400-Kcal/

Just ordered some so be interesting to see how they compare

Widdler

HI Alfe,

I notice you said your fairly new to all this. I've just come back from four days in the lake district, All i can say is i hope your well equiped especially if your doing a wild camp. We where ment to on saturday night but being sensible we camped on a site. Saturday night was not to bad at -8 in Boot, but sunday at -16 wasn't much fun. We were ment to walk Scarfell but withalmost four ft of snow on the essent and drifts on the top along with a couple of novices in the group we played it safe and stayed fairly low level. Good luck if you go and take it easy my friend. Steve