Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phoenix Phunnel tent

Widdler
    Hi there

I would welcome members views on the Phoenix Phunnel Tent, produced in the early 1990's by Phoenix Mountaineering

Comments and advice on the following would be most welcome:
    * performance in extreme conditions
    * pitching tent for optimal performance
    * repairs to tent - fly and seams
    * members experiences of using this tent for long distance trail walking

Many thanks

Jane

Hi Jane, I don't have any experience of the Phoenix Phunnel in use although I did buy one back around 1990 but returned it as I thought it was too big, I'm pretty certain that the Phunnel was a 3 person tent, the 2 person version was the Phalcon.

I currently use a Phoenix Phreeranger, mine is a pre 89 model and still going strong. As I say I don't have experience of the Phunnel but as I'm using a tent from the same manufacturer of roughly the same vintage there are a few things you need to consider.

Repairs to Fly/Seams - I imagine your tent has taped seams, Phoenix started taping seams in 1989 which is how I know mine is pre 1989, (I also have a post 89 Phreeranger but the seam tape is coming off) If the seam tape is coming off yours it'll quite likely take the waterproof coating off the flysheet to, the chances of having it repaired aren't good to be honest, I asked Scottish Mountain Gear about making a new flysheet but they said it wasn't financially viable for them or me. You could try re-taping it yourself but if the fly is no longer waterproofit might be a waste of both time and money.I addition depending on the amount of use the tent has had the flysheet may be weakened due to UV degradation which brings us on to,

Performance in Extreme conditions - Phoenix tents were pretty storm proof but as the structural integrity of the tent relies on the strength of the flysheet it's anyones guess how it would hold up now due to the problems mentioned above. If the flysheet was in good condition (if it doesn't look dry and the coating isn't peeling or flakey it may be ok, you can try twisting the fabric to see if it'll tear) it may be fine. If the poles look corroded you should be able to get a new set made by Hampton Works (they made the original poles, I had a new pole set made for my Phreeranger) In the end though it's a 20 year old tent.

Members experiences using this tent for long distance walking - No experience but it's a 3 man tent and likely to be heavy, I'm guessing but it's likely to be around 4kg maybe more. How many people are going to be using it and where?

To be perfectly honest (although I wouldn't consider swapping my Phreeranger for any solo tent currently available) you're likely to be better off getting something newer and lighter, of course I don't know the condition of your tent, where you intend using it or how many people it needs to sleep.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Widdler
    Thanks for this excellent appraisal. Weight is 3.6kg and condition of fly looks to be very good, other than tapes seams now showing signs of deterioration, poles, inner, zips and guys all sound. I really like the shape of this tent, but given your comments it will be too big for me. Just had visions of enjoying additional space for longer trips, but with a weight penalty.

As luck would have it I have a Phreeranger too, so will test this out.

To the contrary your post has been both interesting and informative, for which I thank you. Much appreciated. Thanks

Jane

‹bermensch The Tallest of Paul's's Avatar

Kev Reynolds usedaPhalcon on his Pyreneen trips back when tight shorts and chest hair was all the rage.

He rated it very highly.

If it is the one with three poles of different lengths - I used one for cycle-touring for a few years and it was great; I think my friend still has it and uses it.

Widdler
    mines a pre 89 Phreeranger then - still in use! great tent love it

Phunnel was a two man tent. I still have mine and it is still going strong (unlike me!)

Most extreme weather mine was used in was one time on the Isle of Skye. Winds in excess of eighty mph and driving rain. Slept as snug as a bug, so did my mate in his Phunnel. In the morning our tents were the only two still occupied.

I had a Phunnel throughout the nineties and used it on back packing holidays both in the UK and in the Pyrenees with my two young daughters. It was an excellent tent, very strong and lightweight with plenty of room. It withstood a terrible electrical storm in Gavarnie, France, when all about us was chaos and destruction - my two daughters slept through it all! We used the tent to wild camp along the UK South West coastal path for over five weeks at a time, to do the West Highland way, Cumberland Way, Westmorland Way and Furness Way as well as regular trips to the Lake District plus half a dozen holidays on the Scilly Isles. A brilliant and well used tent. Eventually UV light paid its toll in 2002 and I gave the tent to a down-and-out who looked as though he was in need of some shelter. I wish I could replace my phunnel as no other tent has come close to its quality.

I wish I could replace my phunnel as no other tent has come close to its quality.

3 pole tunnel, reasonably light, reasonably stout, plenty of space, excellent quality... check out the Hilleberg Kaitum which does all of the above, and it should resist UV degradation a bit better too thanks to the silicone fly coating. Not cheap but IMHO you get what you pay for.

Pete.

Widdler

late to the discussion, but I still have my Phunnel, still going strong after 20 years. (has been re-proofed and is always well dried packed, cleand etc etc) Excellent in extreme weather with one caveat - the difference between pitching tail to prevalent wind versus side to the wind is huge (you would guess this just from tent shape). as long as tail is into the wind it'll sit strong in very bad weather.

‹bermensch

Just recieved delivery ofa Phoenix Phalcon today

Mini Goon

I had the smaller phalcon some years back. Re storm worthiness, it was ace. I was in the Borrowdale campsite one night in an exposed position and there was a terrific wind (it was gusting in the sides of a friend's Vango Force 10 (the old A frame). The peg holding one of the middle guys (ie the main guyline!!!) kept blowing out so I stuck a rock on it. However, the wind blew so hard it snapped the guy and so I had a worrying night with the tent swaying. It stopped up no problem so they are pretty rock solid.

As mentioned, the problem is how far has the flysheet degraded and they are pretty heavy for one person to carry. It also used to take up a fair bit of room in the pack as I remember. However, it was lovely and roomy and had a substantial groundsheet.

I still have a Phreebooter but the flysheet has degraded pretty badly since 1987.

‹bermensch

Ian it is one of many tents I have for lighter weight I have the Phoenix Phreeranger and Phreeranger EB plus a serious mountain tent that is even lighter. This tent is my wet weather alternative to an ME Snowline 2 person tunnel tent I have.

The flysheet is fine guy lines look like new as does most of the fly the inner tents groundsheet has a tiny punvture which will be sealed and looks like some degredation to the neoprene in two spots again fixable but other than that the rest of the inner looks like new.

jim the Phreebooter was great and if you ever decide to part with it let me know

Pics of both tents mentioned are here

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/m.../56241-93.html

‹bermensch

I think the tent in this pic from 1991 is a Phunnel - if not certainly a Phoenix. I only had it for the weekend. Vango 'hired' it for me after they cocked up some work on my Hurricane. Canny tent but huge for one!

Other tents in the pic are 2 x Vango Hurricane Alpha's, Phoenix Phreeranger, 4 x Wilson 400's & one I can't identify

‹bermensch

SB it is either a Phunnel or a Phalcon.

‹bermensch

If there are any Phoenix Phanatics who are interested in a Phortress I am willing to put mine up phor sale. Hasn't been used phor years so would need to check out the condition of the phabric.

‹bermensch

Well Phor the right price let me know condition and how much you want Phor it

‹bermensch

I'll phorego the chance as I already have one & it would be daft to phork out for another.

Quote Originally Posted by speed View Post

Ian it is one of many tents I have for lighter weight I have the Phoenix Phreeranger and Phreeranger EB plus a serious mountain tent that is even lighter. This tent is my wet weather alternative to an ME Snowline 2 person tunnel tent I have.

The flysheet is fine guy lines look like new as does most of the fly the inner tents groundsheet has a tiny punvture which will be sealed and looks like some degredation to the neoprene in two spots again fixable but other than that the rest of the inner looks like new.

jim the Phreebooter was great and if you ever decide to part with it let me know

Pics of both tents mentioned are here

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/m.../56241-93.html
    It is a cracking tent but I can't bear to part with it, even though the PU has started to delaminate.