Thread: get me to norway...

Widdler
    hi guys..did a search on this but couldn't get the right info!..i am hoping to go to norwaynext summer in the landyand would like some adviceon the best way to get there..i have tried to find a direct sailing from the uk but can't find any..is there one? if not, i assume take the ferry to holland and drive from there? has anyone done this trip and if so, what route did you take? any advice/thoughts would be much appreciated..

The good ship Venus* (no, really!) goes Newcastle - Bergen - Stavanger - Newcastle. Tends to be full of drunken Norwegians at the weekend but otherwise ok. Take a few bottles of whisky with you as they make good currency, booze is seriously expensive over there.

Steve D

*Well it was called 'Venus' when we took it in the 80's

Sadly, I think the Newcastle/Bergen ferry is no more, just the Dutch route.

Sadly I dont think there are any ferries left that go directly to scandanavia. Check this... http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/blog/2008/sep/18/ferrytravel.newcastle

Shame! I took a ferry from Newcastle to Bergen a few years back, and then took a fantastic train journey to Finse (Its where they filmed Empire Strikes Back!) Then went wild camping for a week around the glacier. Ended it with a comfortable night at the hotel in Finse.

I think a budget flight to Oslo or Bergen is the alternative.

You're right, blimey it was packed when we were on it, I'm surprised it went under it must have made a fortune just on beer sales.

The nearest option seems to be denmark http://www.directferries.co.uk/esbje...wich_ferry.htm or fly, probably expensive with a landy tho'

Might be worth checking out freight carriers they sometimes take fare paying passengers.

Steve D

Mini Goon

I tried to find a ferry when all the planes were grounded by ash. There is a freight ferry from Immingham to Brevik:

http://www.directferriesfreight.co.uk/immingham_brevik_freight.htm

They will take cars but you need to book well in advance (more than a month).

Otherwise go from Harwich to Esbjerg in Denmark then drive north to Hirtshals then take another ferry to Kristiansand or Stavanger. Check out Colorline and DFDS.

Widdler

it's a pity about the good ship venus..that would've been right up my street!! thanksforthe info guys..will look into all those options..

isn't there a ferry that goes from one of the north scottish islands to bergen?
    i think this one Lerwick - Bergen?

Mini Goon

There used to be - but the Smyril Line 'Norrona' is now just on the Denmark-Faroes-Iceland route, having dropped both Lerwick and Bergen.

Harwich-Esbjerg-Hirtshals-Kritiansand/Stavanger is all that's left.

The best way is to take the ferry to Esbjerg in Denmark or Amsterdam. You can then either take the ferry from Copenhagen to Oslo (or above variant) or drive up through Sweden after crossing the √?resund bridge between Copenhagen and Malm√∂. If your driving up from Holland then its via Germany where you take the ferry from Putgarten to Denmark.

Depending on how far north you want to go it can be much faster to drive up through Sweden with its straighter and faster roads.

Its a bad situation. The main problem is Ryanair and other low fares airlines which take a lot of the ferries business.

May I ask if you really need a car in Norway? Depending on where you're going, you may find it's easier to fly, then use public transport (train or bus) to the start of a walk, walk cross-country ro where you can meet up with public transport again to take you to your next walk. Much easier than all the hassle of trying to get a car from the UK to Norway.

Widdler

i like to do things inthe mostdifficult way possible