Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Munro bagging 16-19 July?

Ok well I've filled out my public profile now so maybe i'll get more interest, although I suspect the lack of replies to my last post was more down to me posting at 1:40am on the day I was looking for a partner No photo as yet but I can't upload one from an iPhone.

Onto the point:

I made a goal to tick 31 Munros before I'm 31 (February). I did two in January so I need to get on with some more although I'm a bit lacking in free weekend this summer. I've got a spare one coming up, 17/18 July, so eager to head up north then. Was thinking of taking the Friday afternoon and the Monday morning off work (can't spare much more than that) for travelling, and getting two full days of walking in (either starting the journey back on the Sunday night or getting an early night in order to start the return drive in the wee hours).

My knees are a little dodgy but manageable - depends on the angle of the terrain. I have absolutely no preference which Munros, as long as it's not the two I've done already (Ben Chronzie and one if the Ben Vorlichs).

I live in Stoke-on-Trent and a partner I could lift share with would be preferable. Happy to drive (I have a van, although it's got an issue with the fuel pump so actually better if we don't take my transport! Unfortunately I'm not insured on other vehicles so can't split the driving)

Cheers,
    Sarah

Sarah

I am heading off for Austria the following weekend so Scotland is 700 miles in the wrong direction for me. But I am hoping to get north later in the year to have a play around Glen Coe and possibly the Grey Mamore.

I tend to go for a week at a time as it is expensive for me to get there but I'm sure we could meet up at some point.

Good luck in your munro bashing

Steve D

Ultra King
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike fae Dundee View Post

Just spotted that bawldy headed tawts reply. I'm off work on the 16th? of Julie for 2 weeks. I have a rough plan for wandering about the Gorms.

G'night.

Suave, sophisticated. OM's resident dashing young blade.Or is thar DW ....and single.

Mick....

Hi Sarah, I'm in Buxtonwith no plans for Munro bagging in the immediate future. If you can be more flexible aboutavailability, I suggest you look at this threadas the plan continues to evolve

Steve - I'm looking to head up for the August bank holiday too, maybe Fisherfield.

Mick - Erm... you lost me, what? And the original of the snippet you quoted says 24th July not 16th?

Ultra King
    'Twas a little joke Sarah

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Clough View Post
    Steve - I'm looking to head up for the August bank holiday too, maybe Fisherfield. Mick - Erm... you lost me, what? And the original of the snippet you quoted says 24th July not 16th?
    and appears to come from a different thread?

anyway I was looking at October time as I have to take No 1 daughter to view Uni's and we may stay on for a few hills. Will likely be doing something around christmas time if the weather is kind.

Steve D

Milly - I can be flexible on which Munros but less so on dates and leave as I'm pretty booked up until September!

Thanks for the link, useful although a little hard to follow with everyone already knowing each other, it's like I've walked in half way through a conversation

Ultra King

It's a very friendly place here Sarah . Lots of people do know each other from `meets' etc.

I'm just not allowed to go with..............................girls

Mick - I figured that but with the typos and the fact that I don't know who you all are I couldn't follow it...

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Clough View Post
    Milly - I can be flexible on which Munros but less so on dates and leave as I'm pretty booked up until September! Thanks for the link, useful although a little hard to follow with everyone already knowing each other, it's like I've walked in half way through a conversation
    As they're still deciding where to go, what to do & when, it's worth posting an interest for the weekend(s) you are free New folk are welcome...

Fisherfield is good if you want to bag quite a few in a weekend. It's a tough round though and pretty (very) remote.

Cluanie ridges in Glen Shiel likewise; lots of hills close together.

Fortunately for you, we're in North Waleshire that weekend though

Sarah, good luck with your 31 munro before february you sound very enthusiastic.

Im based in Nottingham and do alot of walking in scotland, unfortunately i don't start my munro campagin till after October.

Scotland is just fantastic in the snow,it's just not the same without it.

So i don't do much over the summer, tend to stick local, (snowdonia,lakes,dales etc... )

Best advice i can give you inregards to scotland is the further North and the further West you cango, the better it gets.

Steve - well I've got a lot more to tick even after the weekend in question and August, so happy to plan something in for October. Trouble is leave - I currently have 12 days left to take this calendar year. I was originally thinking of doing a long (week) and short (long weekend) trip abroad, leaving me 4-5 days for extended weekends in Scotland, but I don't think I can afford to goabroad (certainly not twice, maybe get lucky with flights and staying with friends for one trip), so I may have more days to play with, especially if I can do a couple of trips with just a half day off either side for travel.

Sean - Remote and tough is fine (knees withstanding), I've got enough hill nouse (although not done much wild camping and don't really haveany lightweightkitso bothying or camping close-to-carwould be preferred).

Nick - Snow on the hills is nice but the more winter stuff (i.e. if it involves crampons) I do the less I want to do, so my preference is for summer Munro bagging.

Although Fisherfield is possible as two day walks from civilisation, or indeed one monstrous outing, basing yourself at Shenavall bothy is probably the best option if you don't wildcamp.

Cheers, I'm not really looking for advice on the hills (at the moment at least), just a partner. Making the plans is part of the fun, and I'm already aware of Shenavall and have the Munro book. I'm quite happy to wildcamp I just don't have a small tent or stove. Depends who I went with really, you only need one tent and stove between you. I could probably manage lugging my sleeping bag around.

Ah. So what you're really looking for is a sherpa service

I didn't say I wouldn't carry stuff, more than happy to. But I ain't lugging my Dreamcatcher down bag, Robens challenger 2 man tent, roll mat and Colemans basic stove round 6 Munros.

Hi Sarah,

I won't be able to join you on these dates (I'm off to Austria on the 18th for 2 weeks), but I have a week off in October and I'm already thinking about going up to Scotland then (it would be my 4th trip up there this year).

I'm from Stoke too, and I know it's a very long way to drive on your own, which is why I usually use public transport. Don't mind driving if I'm with someone else, and a car does come in handy to get around whilst you're up there.

Happy bagging

Jim

Thanks, I'll add that to my mental list of options for October!