Thread: More Lakes Challenges?

Widdler

Hello All,

I may not be as fit and active as some of you on here, but it is with afeeling of beingslightly proud that I can say I climbed Jack's Rake on Pavey Ark last week. It is something I have, since I started going to the lakes, wanted to do, but never actually got round to.

Having done that, I was thinking about what I might set my sights upon now.

I guess both striding and sharp edges have to be done, so is there any advice that you'd be willing to offer please?

Aside, I was beforehand thinking of cycling from Clough Head to Dollywagon Pike. Has anyone done this and do you have any advice to offer please?

Regards

Damian

Well done Damian .

Nice little scramble and some stunning views to be had,did you get the weather???

Any pictures to post up?

As for the other scrambles you are asking about striding edge is more a ridge walk than a scramble with some major exposure until the final climb up onto Helvellyn,and Sharp edge well dont expect too much with that one.

most of all be safe have fun and if in doubt turn about

DIDDY

Mini Goon

Agree with Diddy.Sharp Edge and in particular Striding Edge are significantly easier than Jack's Rake in my opinion.

You're now ready to enter the wonderful world of scrambling. There are manyexcellent scrambles in the Lakes. Jacke Rake is a Grade 1 (easy) scramble. Other good Grade 1's are Cockley Pike Ridge on Ill Crag (one of the very best), Long Crag ButtressnearConiston,The Bell nearConiston, Harrison Stickle South East Ridge, Crinkle Gill on Crinkle Crags, Stickle Gill inLangdaleto name a few. If you're really keen on getting into scrambling you're best bet is to get the renowned guide books "Scrambles In The Lake District" by Brian Evans. There are around 200 scrambles of all Grades included in the two volumes.

As others have said, I wouldn't bother with Striding and Sharp Edges, they're just ridge walks with no technical difficulty but a fair bit of exposure, and you'd find them a disappointment after Jack's Rake.

Widdler

Many thanks for the advice guys.

This may seem a little silly but I think I will do Jack's Rake again.

I have to confess to having completed it rather quickly (20 mins), and not because I was good at all, but because I perhaps felt a little anxious about it. I never doubted my ability to do it, just that if I had come across some obstacle, getting down may have been tricky. It was truly exhilarating reaching the top and maybe it has buoyed me up a little to the point where I thought I might conquer all.

I was taking some advice on some Via Ferrata recently and I was told that I should get a head for heights before proceeding. I think considering my experience of Jack's Rake that same advice could apply here before I get onto some of the more exposed stuff. What do you think?

I will however get those books, they sound just the ticket for learning about what I may possibly like to do next.

Going back to the cycling has anyone cycled form Clough Head to Dollywagon Pike?

Also, I was wondering about taking a cycle along Stake Pass into Great Langdale. Has anyone done that at all?

Many thanks

Damian

Quote Originally Posted by Damian Kimmins View Post

I was taking some advice on some Via Ferrata recently and I was told that I should get a head for heights before proceeding. I think considering my experience of Jack's Rake that same advice could apply here before I get onto some of the more exposed stuff. What do you think?
    You're definitely ready to do more Grade 1 scrambles. None of them have any more exposure than you've already dealt with on Jack's Rake. One of the reasons that they're graded at Grade 1 is because they're not that serious in terms of exposure or situation. If you enjoyed Jack's Rake and it sounds like you did, then you'll definitely relish doing some of the other scrambles in the Lakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Damian Kimmins View Post

This may seem a little silly but I think I will do Jack's Rake again.

That doesn't seem silly to me. I'd consider myself a relatively inexperienced*walker and scrambler, and I have been back to repeat the same routes on several occasions. I think there is a common tendency to want to get to the top of a scramble as soon as possible, in an anxious*"let's get this*over with" fashion. I've found that going back again can be more enjoyable, knowing what is ahead, and I typically find myself doing less "scrabbling" and a bit more quality scrambling.*Doing the same routes solo can be quite liberating as well, but*maybe that's just me. Plus as you chalk up more and more graded routes you*can probably start to enjoy them more the first time as well.

I think that there's much more interesting mountain bike routes in the Lakes than the ones that you have suggested.

Have a look at the Mountain Bike Cumbria website for ideas and info:

Mountain Biking

Or how about trying one of the purpose built mountain bike trials in Whinlatter Forest. I work with a lot of guys who are seriously into mountain biking, and they really enjoy the challenge of the trials. There's a red grade trail of 19km and a blue grade one of 7.5km.

Whinlatter Mountain Biking Trails

i've done sharp edge in full winter, it wasn't a walk!

I wouldn't dismiss Sharp Edge and Striding Edge. Neither are difficult, but both are more exposed than Jack's Rake and a good way of gauging your reaction to airy stuff with minimal risk.

Widdler

Many thanks again for your answers chaps, they've been a great help in deciding where to go from here.

I have ordered the books to familiarise myself with something a little trickier, and the website formountain biking in the Lakessimilarly.

Sorry Didster, I did take some pictures from a mobile phone whilst up there though nothing to do it justice.

I have been really fortunate with the weather on my last two visits, but I've had some terrible times previous. Though the bad weather might limit what you can do with regards to scrambling perhaps, I'm of the opinion that bad weather really adds atmosphere to the place The crags become dark and foreboding , almost showing another face, or telling another story.