Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: pubs showing world cup in lakes

Ultra King
    BTW to all those who don't like football (people from Wales or Scotland I guess) it is quite possible that Scottish pubs and Welsh puns will not be showing that many games. Of course if it is like the Rugby World cup you might find some areas of Scotland doing good trade in the replica shirts of anyone playing England.

‹bermensch
    Quote Originally Posted by Time to go View Post

I do think I'd get some macabre satisfaction in seeing Beckham ending his carreer in all areas of the pitch, at the same time! If you get my drift. Never liked the one footed show pony. Prefer the old hard men Pearcey, Beardsley. The sort who got away with two footed tackles. The guys who would soon sort out the show ponies who take a dive when the ball runs away from them (probably resulting in a red card now though).
    Beckham won't be playing.

...and I bet that's the first time Beardsley has been described as a hard man!

i was in wasdale head innduring the last world cup and the miserable cock who owns it had a sign outside saying

'we are not showing the world cup so go else where if you want to see it'.

Quote Originally Posted by gordy scott View Post

i was in wasdale head innduring the last world cup and the miserable cock who owns it had a sign outside saying

'we are not showing the world cup so go else where if you want to see it'.
    my kind of pub

. Prefer the old hard men Pearcey, Beardsley. The sort who got away with two footed tackles. The guys who would soon sort out the show ponies who take a dive when the ball runs away from them (probably resulting in a red card now though).
    being an arsenal fan and having seen two players in two years having their legs snapped by two footed tackles i agree to differ ..

Ultra King

With a face like his I guess I just assumed he was hard. Scared me anyway. Pearce was though. I do know that. I was going to say Vinny but I don't think he ever played for England, probably because he played for Wales or was that just a dream. Kind of a case of if you have someone in your distance ancestry who came from Wales you can play for them. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Giggs an English schoolboys player? What on earth made him switch to Wales if I'm right? England would have done well to have him in their side.

Beckham not playing? Well at last an England Manager has made a good decision and left him out.

Anyone see the photos of the upcoming Rooney ad? The one where he's a failure living in a caravan with a beard having totally fluffed at the World Cup. BTW living in a caravan does not make you a failure just in this ad he was a failure having failed toperform in the WC 2010.

Anyway, as you can probably tell I vaguely remember snippets of facts on football and don't really care about it apart from every two years when they have an international competition to valiantly lose at. Prefer rugby union.

Ultra King

Yeah Gordy you are totally right but I remember seeing in football of 80s and 90s plenty of two footed tackles and very few broken legs. I wonder if the speed and athleticism of the modern game has meant breaks are more prevalent or more likely to happen. I'm only thinking that modern jet fighters are designed to be unstable so in a dog fight they manoeuvre quicker so with top flight footballers they are more manoeuvreable and so more likely to have their legs at angles where they would break easier. Just thinking out loud. Or is it the lighter boots?

Anyway, does anyone have a prediction for the top goal scorer in this World Cup?

Ultra King

BTW to all those who don't like football (people from Wales or Scotland I guess) it is quite possible that Scottish pubs and Welsh puns will not be showing that many games. Of course if it is like the Rugby World cup you might find some areas of Scotland doing good trade in the replica shirts of anyone playing England.
    People in Wales and Scotland do like football - the crowds at football matches are vastly larger than those at rugby matches at club level. We're just a bit more realistic about the abilities of our national teams and don't expect them to repeat a 44 year old miracle every time there's a major tournament.

‹bermensch
    TTG, you're undoubtedly a font of knowledge when it comes to football.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Giggs an English schoolboys player? What on earth made him switch to Wales if I'm right? England would have done well to have him in their side.

He didn'y play for England because he's Welsh. He went to school in England and so was selected to play for England school boys, but when it came to national selection he couldn't play for England, he was born in Wales and he didn't have English parents or Grandparents .... unlike Vinny Jones ....