Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pubs showing world cup in lakes

have planned a trip away to lakes on 11th june but just realised there is a a game against usa on the saturday.dont want to miss it so anybody know any pubs that will show it away from towns as we are planning to wildcamp. otherwise i dont think i can go :0((

I remember sitting in a tent on top of a hill in the Howgills at a Saunders Mountain Marathon checkpoint, listening through an earpiece to the 1998 World cup finals in 1998 when Beckham got his red card against Argentina.

Whatever happened to that fellow Beckham?

I was lucky -I was born without the F gene and remain unaffected by F in any way

I absolutley hate missing my beloved SUFC's matches, but England, couldn't give a flying about them and i'm a born and bred yorkshire man of 40 years.

Not quite the same Ray but won't anyone have a phone you can watch it on, that way you'll have best of both.

Regulars may be aware that I'm a fanatical Welsh rugby supporter, but I wouldn't let a 6 Nats or world cup group match get in the way of a good day / night on the hills.

Sorry, Ray, no answers or sympathy here!

The hills might be queiter that weekend bud and its only England.....

mind you they will not be in it for long so you might as well watch them when you can

can do the week before if needed....

fecking gits the lot of yer!

As Harry Hill would say Fiiiiiiiight

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barry View Post

This is so interesting...

so far everyone has either

said...get a grip and go wild camping

or

taken the pish (a bit) and then said get a grip and go wild camping.

So how come I have a horrible feeling that I will have difficulty finding a pub/eating place without football when it comes to the time?

I do apologise - no-one appears to havetaken the pish a lot.

Football is a game run by crooks, played by thugs and watched by morons - get a grip and go wildcamping .

BTW thanks for the reminder to stay away from pubs with big TVs this Summer.

OK, I'll wade in with a sensible suggestion: can't you just record it and watch it later?

Alternatively, get a life and go wildcamping and forget about the bl00dy football.

I don't know why you're so keen to watch a game against the USA. They're hardly a football powerhouse nation so it's not likely to be very exciting and if for some reason it is a close game then I wouldn't expect our bunch of over-paid show-pony pillows on legs to get any further in the tournament anyway.

Ray!I think Golden lion back of the main street in Keswick facing the car park andnear tothe brewery is about the best place. It's a the pub which lookslike a kind of Barn converstion.

The big screens are upstairs, Geta fewbadly dressed plastic geordie locals in.

Thethings i do know is Football, Pubs and Scottish Mountains in the winter.

Have a great world cup and don't get toocarried away with England, every time people do!

England v Aussie's in the next stage will be a classic!

‹bermensch
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick the Mod View Post

Ray!I think Golden lion back of the main street in Keswick facing the car park andnear tothe brewery is about the best place. It's a the pub which lookslike a kind of Barn converstion.

The big screens are upstairs, Geta fewbadly dressed plastic geordie locals in.
    ...watched Fulham lose to Athletico Madrid there last Wednesday.

Largely depends whereabouts your camping I suppose. Another place is The New Dungeon Ghyll Hotel

its not the game i want to see but beating the crap out of the opposing fans is what i enjoy when we lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray !!!!! View Post
    have planned a trip away to lakes on 11th june but just realised there is a a game against usa on the saturday.dont want to miss it so anybody know any pubs that will show it away from towns as we are planning to wildcamp. otherwise i dont think i can go :0((
    Ray, I will be sat in front of one of those huge display screens that they use for outside broadcasts of events like this.... supping a few (many) lagers, enjoying a bbq. watching the game

Whilst in Le Mans, so that doesn't help you either, sorry

Ultra King

Ray

The Boot Inn in er Boot has a large tele on the wall and is very aptly named for you .

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL TEAM

Mini Goon

Ray,

Try the Sun Inn at Pooley Bridge. They were definitely showing all the games last word cup because we staggered in after completing the High Street ridge to check the score. Can't remember which game it was but as the only non-football fanatic in the group I had to get the drinks whilst they hogged the screen with everyone else. Bastards.

cheers for all replies even the pish takers.we are going away the weekend before now.

Just for the record.

theres a sports bar in ambleside(forget its name) near the strange football picture museum place . they have 3 or 4 screens.

in keswick theres a sportsbar(who's name i cant remember either, something in the beer perhaps...) thats in the main square and down a side alley near the pizza restaurant with a donkey on the sign. I cant remember the name of pizza place, i must of went there after the sportsbar... i think..

The basement bar of the Queens Hotel in Ambleside will have it, I'm sure.

The pub at Rosthwaite, Borrowdale (forget its name) had a big screen and showed the World Cup matches last time round.

Ultra King

Gordy means Churchills in AMbleside. That was what I would recommend. Good food and you can stay there too. They do karaoke on a friday night too if thats of interest to you.

There will be loads with TVs of varying sizes. I know the Stickle Tavern in Langdales has a huge projection type tv upstairs. Or did when I was there once watching some music satellite tv channel playing on it.

Seriously though I doubt you will have any difficulty finding a pub with a tv showing the game in the Lakes. Try any of the towns failing that try any pub. You never know. There is even a pub in little Askham just east of Pooley Bridge that regularly has footie on a tv. You have to realise that there are still some locals living in the Lakes and they have heard of the newfangled television thingy and there are pubs wanting to make money and locals willing to pay money for beer and football on tv so seriously, get a grip and come up here and join in with us watching England get through to the quarter finals then losing on penalties. BTW where can I watch Scotland and Wales first game in England? If anyone can tell me when their first games are so I can follow our home nations in the World Cup.

Hey! Just thought, anyone else think that the USA v England game might make a good terrorist target? Might be worth watching for that. I do think I'd get some macabre satisfaction in seeing Beckham ending his carreer in all areas of the pitch, at the same time! If you get my drift. Never liked the one footed show pony. Prefer the old hard men Pearcey, Beardsley. The sort who got away with two footed tackles. The guys who would soon sort out the show ponies who take a dive when the ball runs away from them (probably resulting in a red card now though).