Thread: Mozzies

Ultra King
    I read somewhere recently that due to the increase in cases of Malaria in the UK, due to travel abroad. The 'native' mozzie is becoming a carrier of Malaria by biting infected people. Does any one know if this is correct, I can't find the article I read to check it.

‹bermensch
    A piece, I think on Countryfile, a couple of months ago. They were catching the introduced mossie which carries maleria. Don't think our native mossie can carry it, till evolution has a say I guess.

I am not an expert at (at all) on the subject, but I believe some British native mosquitos are capable of transmitting the parasite, and malaria was endemic in the marshy areas of southern England (e.g. the Fens, the Somerset Levels and around the Thames estuary) until those areas were largely drained in the 18th century.

The latest copy of TGO had an article on insect repellant/creams etc and it was mentioned then about the mozzie's being able to carry diseases like malaria. Interesting reading.

On that note, if you want I can scan and email a copy of the page (probably against all rules)

‹bermensch

The telly piece I saw explained that the maleria mossie rests at an angle to the alighting surface i,e butt in the air ,whereas the other mossies rest parallel to the surface, just so you know which ones to swat.

Initiate

I contracted Malaria in 89 firstly in Zaire and then a couple of months latter againin Zimbabwe.On my return to the u.k I was admitted to the hospital for infectious diseases were they decided I had Malaria and Typhoid.Anyway one of the doctors there told me 500 to 1000 people a year contract Malaria who have not recently (enough) been abroad.Don,t know how true that is...

I was in hospital for 6 weeks (mainly isolation) but have not had any malaria problems since 92.

Didn't Henry VIII die from malaria?

According to Sallares, Malaria and Rome, Oxford 2002, there may well have been malaria in Britain, and the disease that afflicted the army of Septimius Severus in Scotland in the early 3rd century AD may have been malaria. However, the evidence is very thin, Severus' troops may have been hit by some other disease, and there's certainly no evidence that malaria was 'endemic' anywhere in Britain during the Roman period.

Roman roads tend to take the most direct route from a-b but geographical and topographical considerations are more likely to be behind the route of a road rather than medical.

The role of malaria in the decline of the Roman empire is probably up there with lead poisoning and goats in my book!

Quote Originally Posted by Metric Kate View Post

....... and the disease that afflicted the army of Septimius Severus in Scotland in the early 3rd century AD......
    According to that distinguished historian Mike fae Dundee, the Romans never penetrated Scotland, though he phrases it rather more colourfully.

Septimius Severus sounds like a nasty disease.

Pretty poor choice of name by Mr and Mrs Severus

A history of malaria in England.

Damned linky thing doesn't seem to work! try:

http://malaria.wellcome.ac.uk/doc_WTD023991.html

Ultra King
    Quote Originally Posted by SD View Post

The telly piece I saw explained that the maleria mossie rests at an angle to the alighting surface i,e butt in the air ,whereas the other mossies rest parallel to the surface, just so you know which ones to swat.

Don't know about you I swat first then check if I've got the damm thing. I don't have time to check out its @rse in thee air or not. By the time I see them they're usually pretty much parallel, to my hand that is.

Ultra King

BTW a little off topic but I thought I'd take this thread to warn people about Nikwax bite relief stick. I bought it with their repellent spray and I found that one of them gives me a really bad allergic reaction or skin reaction (might not be allergic). I actually got badly bitten not so longago and decided to use it. Anyway I covered my legs with the stuff as I had many bites. Within about 5-10 minutes my skin swelled up in blotchy patches. It was very itchy, worse than the insect bites it was supposed to ease. Anyway I walked like that for the whole day with it getting worse. My friends on the walk were shocked at it as it looked really bad.

Anyway I got home and washed any residue of the stuff off and it soon went down.

Now I doubt it will happen to everyone but be warned with anything you put on your skin to prevent bites or ease them. Test it before you use them properly. I know one guy from that company sometimes posts on here and he comes across as a level guy. I suspect it is likely to be just an allergic reaction so probably won't effect many others but I do think it wise to teststuff like these product first. Even the ones that sell themselves as natural products. Anything can cause a reaction so best be sure. Anyway the worst bit of it is that I now have these pricey repellent and bite relief stuff that I'm unable to use.

I'm sure it was fully tested before going anywhere near the shop shelves, ttg, and that if such reactions were common it would not be on sale. I'm allergic to Lucozade classic and spray-on Deep Heat (though not necessarily in combination with Lucozade!), but doubt it's a general problem.

Initiate

I'm allergic to nearly all under arm deodorants,hence the pong.

I once had a friend who when bitten by a mossie flecked his muscle quickly thus stopping the mossie retracting his blood sucking tube.Mrs Mossie got redder and redder until she went POP!Literally.What a mess.

lol!

Ultra King

Not saying its a common thing to have a reaction to the bite relief stuff just a general warning that pretty much anything you put on your skin can cause reactions so should be tested first by you and not just rely on the fact the manufacturer has tested it. Afterall most sutff you can buy to put on your skin is a chemical product and should be treated as such. Even the ones that claim to be from"natural" products. Personally if any productsays "aqua" in the ingredients it is most definitely an industrial product I mean why not say water?

I would be most interested to hear from a manufacturer (such as the Nick guy) to her what testing does go on and what their views on reactions. I wonder if they are aware of any others who react. It could just be that I used the repellent then the bite relief. Could there be a problem with the combination? BTW I do rate the stuff, IME the Nikwax repellent stuff works but not for me for the reason described. It really was a nasty reaction and if I had been in the hills for a few days I could have been suffering for those days. Lucky I had done the overnight and was on my last day out when I used it and got the reaction. Although I had used it before this was the first combined use.

Julian - I heard of someone allergic to soap once. I mean had it tested by doctors and all. I think she had to get special products. Anyway what an excuse to become a soap dodger! Personally when in the hills for some time Ifind no excuse is needed. Just a dip in the stream or tarn on the way back down to civilisation does it for me.

Ultra King

It's not only stuff you put 'on' the can make you react. You can also have reactions to drugs, (legally supplied ones).

If it's sunny, like the last few days, I have to put on sun cream, because I'd come out in 'blisters' due todrugs I'm taking making me "photo sensitive", though I still tan,if I don't use sun cream I break out in 'itchy blisters', and have to cover up till 'IB's' go away if I go out.