Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Media on politics

The politics is very interesting - exciting even - but I do wish the Media would gets its pompous head out of its self-important arse. It's US, the people, who are important, not them. I'm getting so fed up with their over-aggressive interviewing and sanctimonious pontificating on what's going on, especially Nick Robinson who should be reporting, not spouting such biased commentary.

Two things irritate me especially: criticism of Gordon Brown for staying in Downing Street. It's his (unwritten) constitutional duty to remain as PM until we've got a new one. And howls of protest that we might end up with a second 'unelected PM'. We don't elect the PM, ffs, we don't have a presidency (though one might be forgiven for thinking that towards the latter end of the Blair years). Is the media advocating the establishment of a Republic and election of a head of state?!

/rant mode

Ultra King

Hear! Hear!

I'd go as far as to say, unless you are one of his electorate, you'd be doing entirely the wrong thing in voting for a party leader rather than the local candidate.

Go Kate go!

Ultra King AT (http://AyrshireTiger.wordpress.com/)'s Avatar
    Well said Kate, it's been annoying me for ages the fact that many politicians/commentators either can't or won't understand that we don't have a presidential system! Ditto Brown staying as PM - he couldn't do anything else until a deal is done to form a new government.

well said kate.

brown stays until he resigns or her maj says "i'm queen and you're out" - which will only be if anyone can form a government i imagine.

So much for unbiased media types - murdoch must love him!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8edUIcCK9Tw

Yep, been annoying me for age's.

I voted Lib Dem's in Northampton North as Andrew Simpson was easily the best and most pro-active candidate for the area. A redundant, non-active Conservative MP got voted in that had done absolutley nothing for the area... simply because folks did not realise this fact and wanted Gordon Brown out.

I even heard people saying "I wan't to vote for Lib Dem's in this area but where is my national vote"???????

It is fun though. And getting somewhat more amusing this evening it seems.....

The continental thing to do would be a Lab/Con coallition

Anyway I'm sure the civil service will keep the country running nice and sensibly for as long as it takes.

And since when did MPs become celebrities whilst in office .?

Ultra King

Since they started courting the media, doh

Why do Lib Dem's want PR, ? Coz they think it will work in their favour and get them more MP's. For local elections over here we use PR and if not enough 1st preference votes to get elected, who/which/what party's are "transfered" can be a real nightmare.

If I had the choice I'd go for who ever gets the most votes gets elected, never mind quotas, percentage of votes. Stick with whoever finish's first wins. !!!!

It works in sport, etc. and has worked up till now, so why change ??

Ultra King
    Oh come on now, Husky, we all know the Lib Dem obsession with PR is pure altruism born of a high minded desire to secure true democracy for the masses.

‹bermensch
    Latest news. Chelsea did not get a majority of points so Manchester United have formed a coalition with Burnley to win the premiership !!!

Changes of government ALWAYS take place while I'm travelling somewhere. This time is no exception, but I have my doubts that there's going to be ANY kind of government in place by the time I'm finished!

Sorry, remind me again how the Labour party leader is elected?

And then explain to me how this reflects the wishes off the electorate who put a cross next to the Labour candidates name?

Although with any luck this will be a wake up call about the fact that PR is a daft idea!

anyone see the arguement between sky political correspondant andalistair campbell last night. campbell accused the sky bloke of being a torry. it nearlyturned into a fight. the sky anchorman had to stop his coleague from getting too close to campbell. throughout this, campbell wore his usual spin-doctor smirk.....it was interesting to say the least !!!

What I do find interesting/disturbing is the wave of rose tinted nostalgia for the 80's that is being currently pushed by the media, I can hardly recognise the world I grew up in.

Ultra King AT (http://AyrshireTiger.wordpress.com/)'s Avatar

Elfed - see Kelvin's link earlier! Very entertaining!

As for PR being a daft idea - why? I guess because of the extended negotiations currently going on. However, this is becasue we don't have PR currently and parties don't really expect to have form coalition government. If PR was the electoral system parties would know this before the election and would have discussions with each other beofre the election as happens in many other countries. And to dispell the myth that coalition government produces weak countries and economies Germany has a PR system!

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Space Pilot View Post

What I do find interesting/disturbing is the wave of rose tinted nostalgia for the 80's that is being currently pushed by the media, I can hardly recognise the world I grew up in.

Same as same as. I did well under Maggie but the last two years at school, left in '82, seemed as disturbed as any I've witnessed. Working around the country there seemed huge displacement of male workers away from their families in the north, just to keep their heads above water.

Short memories and rose tinted glasses are already affecting the history I lived through.

I mean how great were the late 70's. Unions holding the country to ransom, 4 day working weak, high inflation, massive public debut.

The 80s were simply the inevitable result. Just as the next 5 years will be the result ofthe current budget defict.

You're right Germany has a PR systemwhich seems to just about work although it is hellishly complicated and has the 5% rule (adios greens, SNP, PC, DUP, UKIP, BNP,SDLP etc.).

However lets have another look at Israel, Canada, Italy New Zealand etc. Not working so well there is it! The idea that if the parties know that PR exists then we won't go through this negotiaing phase every 6 months-2 years really is rose tinted spectacle wearing. Just read the political history of countries with PR. Germany included. What PR gives you is weak, unstable governments who are unable to push through connected political, social and economic policies as you'll never get agreement across all members.

Israel can't realy be compared to any other country, irrespective of voting system.

Whats wrong with Canada and New Zealand? seem to be largely pretty decent society's to me, or do you only count greed and the attainment power as success.