Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MRT Simple Funding Idea

Mini Goon
    Everyone must have read/heard about the increasing demand and the constant funding struggle for the mountain rescue teams in the uk, something I do at the end of a day in the hills is call into a local for a beer, I drop a quid the MRT collection box, I know I'm probably preaching to the converted here but if we could get everyone to do the same I guess the funding problems would be improved somewhat, you only have to see the number of folks out in Snowdonia or the Lakes on a weekend to think how much could be raised, and in my mind, a quid for a day out is nothing these days to most of us, is there a possibility through this site (or any other) where we could perhaps promote an idea like this among walkers/ climbers?

Ultra King

Well done you. Of course your are doing two good things there. Supporting MRT is one the other is supporting a local business. Especially important in less frequented areas is visting local establishements whether puns, shops or cafes. For examples Tebay has a cracking little cafe in the old school house. Not many people (even relative locals) know about it. It is good in that area to get into the Howgills but when you come down it is not too mcuh trouble to go in, have a cup of tea and a cake then drop a pound in a tin for MRT.

In some places your custom as a visitor is very important for say the farmer in the Borrowdale valley who has a little tea shop in summer. Or to the country pub the summer hoards are also important to their annual takings. It can be the difference between a good year and another country pub shutting down.

Visit a local establishment and drop a pound in the tin, a lot of the local shops, cafes and pubs also support the MRT with collection tins. At least up in the Lakes they do.

Ultra King

I went to a well known lakeland pub last week to treat myself to a lunch

I waited the customary 10 minutes at the bar while the staff had a chat, ordered a mixed grill from the menu only to be told `grills can only be cooked after 6pm'.

I ordered a Lasagne which was crap *

* but not as crappy as Mountain House dehydrated spag bol.

WH, by any chance?

"grills can only be cooked after 6pm'"that would be after the deep fat fryerhas been plugged in by someone suitably qualified with years of experience? microwave training only takes several weeks to perfect.

Ultra King
    Quote Originally Posted by Posh Totty View Post
    WH, by any chance?
    No. Think little trains.

legoland?

Ultra King
    FFS ...ol' ratty.

what has kenneth grahame got to do with it?

i genuinely don't know, mick, forgive the teasing...

so where's the pub?

(i must have used that phrase about 80 trillion times in my life so far )

The pubs right next to the railway Posh.

I've been in there a couple of times... not as bad as others in the lakes, imo. (If it is still the same owners that is.)

eh oop, cripple how's the limb?

While we're on the topic of supporting MRT, I have gone so far as to run the Yorks 3 peaks and will run the Mont Blanc marathon next month in support of my local MRT. It's a bit cheeky I know but if anyone feels so strongly that they'd like to donate......

Apologies for gate-crashing the thread but it seemed relevant

www.justgiving.com/amanda-seims

Mini Goon
    so has anyone any ideas as to how this can be promoted? we all use the net via this site, facebook etc, has anyone got the contacts/resources to publicise this as an idea to encourage folks to donate a quid every day they venture into the hills, not forgetting of course that MRT collection boxes are seen in more than just pubs!!

Are the MRTs actually short of cash? Lots of folk donate regularly.

Maybe the Snowdon railway could put it's prices up by 50p and donate that

Limbs fine Toots.

Personally, I would like to see a lot more investment and funds go into MRT. Because it is a voluntary organisation a lot of their "services" fall outside normal working practices and they do not receive standard health care and counselling support that standard emergency services do. For instance a lot of their work is grim body recovery and clean up - not mountain rescue (IMO thats taking the piss from paid services!).

When someone falls and goes pop, these guy's deal with that trauma through the night and go to work the next day - without any sleep, help, support or counselling. Proper hero's in my opinion and I hope everyone donates accordingly!Llanberis pass are charging a tenner for parking and the facilities are sh*te!! Surely half of that can go to MRT.

Widdler

Basecamp

Basecamp is the national support group for all mountain rescue teams in England and Wales.

Single membership is £24 per year (minimum), joint membership £42 (minimum). In return you will receive a lapel or cloth badge, a car sticker and a copy of our quarterly Mountain Rescue magazine.

The mag is a good read ...

Andy

Widdler

I think that all of the national charities that promote the Three Peaks Challenge as a fundraiser should give a percentage ( at least 10%) of their monies received from that event to the MRT organisations.

It seems silly to me that their fundraising activitiesrely upon other charities goodwill for event cover.

Ultra King
    Well I've done charity fundraisers for MRT before and still feel in their debt. People don't think about volunteers just equipment. WE should think about the MRT volunteers as they are more expensive to produce than the equipment I'm sure. Afterall they have a lot of experience before joining then get trained up so all that has cost them and MRT money. Then you should support them as any emergency service whether paid or voluntary will have to deal with stuff that is hard. Some will inevitably need support. PLus body recovery is the grim part of their job IMHO. Of course the SARDA dogs are nice. Real friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by Time to go View Post
    Of course the SARDA dogs are nice. Real friendly.
    Yeah, except the ones that jump all over you when they find you - over-excited lab on the stomach, anyone? And the ones that collide with you because they're so excited to have found you they can't stop? 6 month old collies have very hard skulls!

No, seriously, Ttg's right - here's Merlin from SARDA South Wales

Another way to support MR - or at least SARDA - is to spent a day 'bodying' so the doggies can train. Anyone interested in trying this in South Wales, send me a PM!!