Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trying to Convince Fiancee to move to Peak

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Mycroft View Post

believe me as one who lives there and has done for most of the last 30 years......if you want to impress her with the area don't go to the usual honeypots on a Bank Holiday, and that includes Ilam and Matlock bath from the above list The same applies to Castleton and Buxton.........go on a quieter weekend if at all possible.
    Good advice. </blockquote>personally, and living in Sheffield for the last 40 years (i'm 40) i avoid the honeypot areas at all times, can't stand them, full of selfish me me me people who only give a toss about themselves.</blockquote>If i could afford it i'd go for one of the areas like fulwood, crosspool, totley, dore etc as that would put you within at most 10 minutes drive of the countryside.</blockquote>I live on a council estate a mile outside the city but can still see the Peaks from here and it's only a 20 minute drive to get out there.</blockquote>Btw, i could never move far from the peaks, i love the history too much.</blockquote>Mine and Stu's website. </blockquote>

Goon

Interesting Twiglegs. Know what you mean about feeling close. I used to have a lovely view from Crookes.

Cool website by the way.

Hi Twiglegs

I cant add anything to the thread but if you are ever in the Fisherfield area you want to have a wander around between Shenavall and Loch na Sealga and look at the ruins of buildings ( not stone circles though ) above the track.

Even though it's frowned on here it's why i insist on wild camping in the Peaks, maybe it's just me but the "glampers" and day trippers etc feel they own the places mentioned above, the "that's my parking space" mentality really pisses me off, so much so when i walk the great ridge i refuse to look down to castleton keeping my eyes towards the vale of Edale, who'd want to se the monstrous hope cement works anyway.

Take her somewhere nice, Froggatt village and the walk along the edge or do the walk to alport towers via crook hill farm, Derwent edge on a week day, anything that the tourist sites, it is easy to avoid them and still see great breathtaking beauty, just explore a map or ask here for a route, i'd be only too glad to help if it means her impression of the area wasn't blighted by visiting one of the regular places.

Btw PD, thanks for the compliment, the site still needs a lot of work which i intend to dedicate very soon.

Edit: Btw Pd, Crookes, were you a student here. ?

Quote Originally Posted by alexander rae View Post

Hi Twiglegs

I cant add anything to the thread but if you are ever in the Fisherfield area you want to have a wander around between Shenavall and Loch na Sealga and look at the ruins of buildings ( not stone circles though ) above the track.
    Hi alexander, my period of interset is anything from the late mesolithic to early bronze age, i barely have time to see everything from this period that i want to, thanks for the heads up though, i'm a very blinkered man in some aspects.

Goon

I was....

And I know much less about the peaks than I should, as I didnt really take advantage of it as I'm a fool. Thanks for your kind offer, I'll pop back on here to say hello when we decide to go, not on the bank holiday!

Twiglegs, you are quiet right, i am interested in local history and you have to draw the line somewhere, i compare it to a hens egg, it is compact in its shell but break it into a hot frying pan and it goes in all directions !!.

Mate, it's on my bloody doorstep but besides visiting the ancient sites i've done the same, i didn't walk the peaks for walkings sake till a couple of years ago, to be honest a bloody notts bloke opened my eyes to it's great walking and scenery, a certain mr terrybnd of lfto fame.

I mostly walked the barren moors looking for ancient sites and very rarely took in any of the best walks.

I suppose at times we all take things for granted, not myself anymore though, it was only about 6 weeks back i did cutthroat bridge to lost lad, what a walk that is. !

It's shameful really but i'm correcting it now, in the last 6 months i've wildcamped Kinder 3 times, one occasion in 6ft of snow, Alport towers area twice, somewhere close to stanage edge twice and a good few other places.

I must admit though some of these wildcamps were to gather info and pics for the website, i do try to combine the two now, best of both worlds.

Btw, im the ugly one, Geoff.