Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to Convince Fiancee to move to Peak

Goon

How do I go about this?

First of all I am planning a weekend away on the bank holiday at the end of the month. Where exactly in the peak is the nicest part, do you think? Open to suggestions of where to stay too, but really want to know what I should do to 'wow' her.

Look forward to your suggestions!

Cheers

What are her objections to moving there?

Goon
    None specifically, I just need the area to charm her more than anywhere else, but the tipping point I suppose is to make her realise that the south sucks, which I concluded long ago.

Ultra King
    I suggest manipulation.

P, you're not any clues about your fiance├ęs likes and dislikes, so it's tricky to make a suggestion. Start here?If crowds are her pet hate, I'd stay away from any well-known areafor the late May Bank Hol !

South Peak - Ilam and the Manifold and Dove valleys

Central Peak - Lathkill Dale, Tideswell

Western Peak - Cat & Fiddle pub and Goyt Valley

Eastern Peak - Matlock Bath

Norther Peak - gritstone edges (Stanage/Millstone etc)

Goon
    Will it really be madness on a bank holiday? Will it seem nicer on a quieter weekend?

believe me as one who lives there and has done for most of the last 30 years......if you want to impress her with the area don't go to the usual honeypots on a Bank Holiday, and that includes Ilam and Matlock bath from the above list The same applies to Castleton and Buxton.........go on a quieter weekend if at all possible.

Quote Originally Posted by P Doran View Post
    Will it really be madness on a bank holiday? Will it seem nicer on a quieter weekend?

Not madness, exactly....but if it is warm and sunny the crowds will be out, with the associated traffic jams, parking hasslesand tea shop queues in the towns and villages.... Dave's suggestions are good for a non-BH weekend, but on a BH Sunday or Monday there'll be oodles of bikers out at Matlock and on the Cat & Fiddle* I think it's uncontroversial to suggest it'd be nicer on a quieter weekend

* unless the new speed cameras are a big deterrent

Goon

Easy decision made then, esp as a lot of places seem full. We'll replan.

Dave - I am envious of you. I was at uni in Sheffield have missed it everyday since I have left.

Quote Originally Posted by Milly. View Post

Not madness, exactly....but if it is warm and sunny the crowds will be out, with the associated traffic jams, parking hasslesand tea shop queues in the towns and villages.... Dave's suggestions are good for a non-BH weekend, but on a BH Sunday or Monday there'll be oodles of bikers out at Matlock and on the Cat & Fiddle* I think it's uncontroversial to suggest it'd be nicer on a quieter weekend

The new average speed cameras do seem to be a deterrent......while they remain intact

Goon
    Out of interest, what will a 3 bed house cost in the peak?

It depends entirely on where you buy. Prices inside the park are expensive (250k ish) but pick somewhere on the edge like Leek and prices will be 1/3 to 1/2 that. Buxton has gone expensive since the University moved in. Bakewell area is extortionate - same with matlock area. In general cheapest prices are on the west side as east is close to M1 and Sheffield/Nottingham/Derby so in demand for commuters. West side is a lot further to main transport links so less interest to commuters. Also consider winter when planning....Buxton gets cut off on avergare 2 days per winter.

[QUOTE=Dave Mycroft;833112]
    Quote Originally Posted by Milly. View Post
    <blockquote class=quote>Will it really be madness on a bank holiday? Will it seem nicer on a quieter weekend?

The new average speed cameras do seem to be a deterrent......while they remain intact </blockquote>

As if anyone from oop in the lawless hills would even think of squishing them flat. There's no history of that kind of thing up here

Goon

Interesting, thanks Dave. I am always suprised by how even the S10 area in Sheffield is reasonable value for money.

They should ban Londeres etc from buying, though, didnt something like that happen in the lakes? Its a disgrace to ruin these areas with holiday homes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Mycroft View Post
    ...Also consider winter when planning....Buxton gets cut off on avergare 2 days per winter.

Not entirely cut off, they usually leave us with one way out, via the A6 to Stockport...but that's not too handy if you wanted to go in the opposite direction.

I would start by thinking where you might get suitable employment and then plan from there - unless you are a quarry or hotel worker, there aren't masses ofjobs here, so your commute will be a significant factor

Goon

I'm a lawyer, at the moment though hopefully not forever, soI will commute in. I have a motorbike so it won't be all bad. My fiancee is a conservationist.

I am sure the commute won't be as hellish as it is now in London, which is at least an hour to do anything!

It happens in the Yorkshire Dales but not in the Peak......wish it would as prices are ridiculous and kids just can't afford to stay in the area if they want to.

Goon
    Disgrace

Disgrace
    Glad you agree. Buy a house next to your work and leave the houses to the locals.