Thread: Pick my destination

Widdler

Hi all, I end college this year and most of my friends are staying put here in the UKâ?¦ I'm not entirely down with that, so looking at going on a gap year, what you reckon? I've always been into adventure type stuff like hiking & skydiving (craziest buzz ever)

Any scrap of idea thrown my way will rewarded... somehow. And greatly appreciated might I add

Go back to college and learn grammar.

Other than that - enjoy yourself, Go to Canada and get in with the Inuit, innit. seriously though, make the most of it whilst you can.

I would head off to New Zealend .

I'd head for Canada, lots of different challenges / terrain there, nice people too by all accounts.

Just go where your head tells you, and good luck.

Widdler
    Haha what was wrong with my grammar? Cheers for the suggestions so far, have you guys been to Canada or NZ? They're both what I was thinking about. Possibly Aus too, but miles of terrain like this:
    doesn't tickle the fancy too much! Any more input on good places would be most welcome

Ultra King

You're not down with that? WTF is that supposed to mean? Is it Ninglish?

The Galapagos would be a good destination. You could make it your mission to witness three evolutionary steps before returning to Blighty, perhaps. What a great contribution to science and society that would be.

BTW, aren't you supposed to have a gap year before college? Unless of course, the college you mentioned is a tertiary college.

Mal, one can have one's Gap year at any time. Most of the Gappers we hooked up with in Oz were in their late 20s - they had saved enough money do it in more style and old enough to really appreciate it and not just piss it all up the wall and run out of cash in 3 months.

I'd recommend Oz and NZ or even SE Asia. The advantage of Oz or NZ is that you can get a working holiday visa to get some cash as you travel. Canada is a notoriously difficult country to obtain one unless you are a currently-serving student.

Yes, Oz has long roads, but there are buses! The Great Aussie Road Trip is not to be underestimated.

Ultra King
    Thanks for filling that enormous gap in my knowledge, NPC.

Initiate

Good grief you re so lucky,wish i could go back to that time of my life again...

You probably have some ideas were you want to visit but i wouldn,t just stick with the relatively bland western cultures,out of the 70 or so countries ive visited id do somethink like...

1) start Eghpht/Jordan'

2)India/Nepal.

3)Stopover Burma,fascinating.

4)Thailand/peninsular Malaysia followed by R and R in Bali.

5)New Zealand beautiful country,omit Aus although popular with gappers a big empty place.

6)Japan/ south Korea Beautiful amazing.

7)Western u.s.a.

If short of time and energy id probably go s/e Asia,N.Z and N.E. Asia.

Look into WOOFers if you go to NZ. Its working a few hours a day for food and board on farms, mostly small local organic farms that need as much help as they can get.
    The "pay" is nice food, fab locations and a way of escaping the constant travelling that some people find tiresome.

Falkland Islands, get a placement on one of the big farms. They'll work you like a dog and pay peanuts (oh yeah, and ruin your liver with alcohol) but if you want wilderness....well.....plenty of that down here.

Widdler

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, think I'm gonna go with NZ now, have a friend who did WOOFing and said it was great so will definitely look into it Justin.

Does anybody have any advice about visiting NZ or opinions on the place? Really looking forward to it now

Widdler
    Keen to hear anything to do with my hopeful destination

Henry, NZ is a great and uncomplicated place. Do some research, it's part of the fun - search out previous OM threads about NZ - there've been quite a few. Good book is Lonley Planet 'Tramping in New Zealand' There are lots of NZ pics in my gallery.

Widdler
    Thanks for that Milly, what do you think of the info over at http://www.goalltheway.to/newzealand/ ? Just flicking through now it seems pretty good, would be keen for your opinion though (sorry about the late response)

All depends on what you are looking for. While I've hardly ever left the British Isles, my younger brother has been travelling the globe the last 10-15 years and been all over North & South American, and Australasia. While he's not quite the outdoors type, he surfs and travels on foot / bus / however extensively. He got something out of every place he went to, most recently Mexico and Cuba. However he did once attempt to live in NZ but eventually left due to boredom! He's into music and outdoor parties and it seems not enough of a scene there for a long term stay.