Thread: Wild camping in the chilterns!

Hi everyone, I live in Milton Keynes,buckinghamshire and want to do some local wild camping before I go of to the lake district, totest my gear etc. Just wanted to know if anyone has wild camped in the chilterns or have any other suggestions of places to camp thats near to me.

look at a map. there arelots of places.

‹bermensch
    As someone who lives and walks extensively in the Chilterns, I can assure you that there are countless places that are ideal for a one-night wild camp. Here's what you do:

1 Plan your route from the appropriate Explorer map.
    2 Towards evening, keep an eye open for a suitable pitch, preferably the edge of a field or in a grassy woodland clearing away from the path and nowhere near any habitation. Select a site where your tent is unlikely to be seen. If you choose a field, ensure that no animals are pastured in it.
    3 When it starts to get dark, pitch your tent.
    4 Wake at first light and strike camp.
    5 Ensure that you have left no trace of your camp except for the outline of the footprint of your tent.
    6 Walk for a mile or so and then have your breakfast.
    7 I've never been caught in sixty years of wild camping but if you re discovered, don't argue, just apologize and move on.

‹bermensch
    I should have mentioned that you need to carry everything with you includig water. If you want to keed the weight down, you can find a pub late in the day and ask for your water bottle to be filled before you leave. There are few streams in the Chilterns and I wouldn't dream of drinking from any of them.

An easy option I used to do was walk some of the ridgeway path. I never got any trouble there and frequently found places for water, even water taps but I was nearer the western end. Great place to go and walk.

Widdler

Hi, I am also based in MK and looking for suitable locations. Did you find any?

Ummm, if the "secret" places you can go to wild camp and get away with it if you're not discovered, get listed on th'interweb here, it seems likely to me that the secret spot isn't going to be secret for long but will instead attract more of those in the know... The result could be something of an own-goal perhaps?

Just sayin', that's all...

‹bermensch

A secret is something known only by one person. Passing the information on

I think is a confidence. I prefer Toot,s answer. Cheers.

Initiate

I'm sure you can share a secret and keep the shared secret amongst those who share it !

‹bermensch

Andy. The English/Cambridge dictionary reads"A piece of information that

is only known by one person". Cheers, it's football on the box.

Initiate

Im sure it says more than that !

As a noun it can certainly be shared.

Nice one, gentlemen. I now have an amusing vision of said "secret" spots becoming quite lively places as "confidence" about them is shared. There'll be a circle of tents and argument as occupants with dictionaries in hand try to determine whether the location is a secret or a confidence. The row will be silenced and the matter cleared up by whoever is able to say "Git orf moi land, the lot of you".

Incidentally, I'm now wondering if the Official Secrets Act should be rebranded as the Official Confidences Act...

On a more sober note, the comments by Simon, Hugh and Parky have more merit in consideration by those looking to wild camp.

Mini Goon

I am sure Hugh is correct if you are looking for wild camping. But I like wild country, so if I lived in Milton Keyes I'd probably head up the M1 after work on a Friday night and pitch on top of the Welsh mountains or in the Peak District.

Widdler
    Hi my name is Jason I live in Wendover bucks and am looking for a wild camping buddy to go out round Chilterns its hard to find like minded people if anyone is interested email me jasoncaple@googlemail.com many thanks