Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vango Apex 200

Has anyone seen this tent yet? There's a strange arrangement over the front that looks almost but not quite like extra poles? Any comments?

Initiate

It looks like the TBS¬ģ Pro ‚?? Tension Band System

You mean at the apex of the porch?

http://www.vango.co.uk/vmchk/tents/apex-200.html

It looks like a cross pole similar to the MSR Hubba but with a Y shaped end to increase porch headroom. I'd like to see a 360 degree image but I'm quite interested as it's not disimilar to the layout of a Phreeranger. Not too heavy at 1.6kg with room for 2.

What I don't like about it is side-on entrance that strands one of two sleepers away from the entrance, so if they want to get out while the door-side partnr doesn't it's a case of clambering over. The sleeping area looks a bit on the narrow side for two, and deeply lacking in porch space, but it looks like it might be a nice solo tent.

Pete.

I agree Peter, side on for 2 is less convienient but as you say for a solo tent it looks quite good. I checked the set-up pdf and the cross pole is Y shaped at the porch side only (mentions locating the pole on 3 clips)

I suspect you could get the weight down a bit, Vango tents are pretty tough given the price and usually pretty well put together andnicely fitted out includinga decent repair kit, stuffsacks etc(again at the price point)

I see they've released a Superlite version of some of last years range, the Helium 200 looks pretty spacious and light enought for use as a solo tent, headroom would be a problem for me.

http://www.vango.co.uk/vmchk/force-t...rlite-200.html

However designed the website should be thrashed.Flash sites are generally rubbish but thistakes it to a whole new level.

Thanks for all the input - very helpful.

Yes I did mean the contrivance at the apex of the porch (I've never got the hang of technical terms). I guess that's why it's called the Apex 200.

We bought a Macpac Microlight last year and the Vango seems to be based on it but has seems to have improved a bit on the design with the entrance and inner door, although the Macpac probablyhas more porch space.

The Vango also only seems to have two guying points, although the pitching instructions mention pegging the front of the inner.

Apart from the rather limited view on the youtube video, it has been hard to find much about it.

Very interesting tent will have to get inside one to check out the headroom,oh and if anyone connected with Vango is reading this congratulations of having replaced Cotswold as the most annoying camping website yet!

I couldn't resist ordering one of these and it arrived today (£145 inc delivery from Breakoutdoors).

First impressions are very favourable. The poleslides through the sleeve very easily, and the whole tent only takes a couple of minutes to put up.

There is a a large mesh vent with zip cover on the back, whichmatches the front, and the y-shaped apex pole lifts both the rearandfront vents. The top of the door under the vent is also mesh, andmesh panels in the inner line up with the vents.

The inner is plenty big enough for two, and would take two full-size mats. The inner is prevented from sagging by being attached to a guying pointon the back of the tent about halfway up. There's alsoample headroom for two, and it will be a good tent for sitting looking out of through the large doors, with the front vent offering quite a bit of rain shelter, probably enough to cook under.

The tent feels robust andgood quality, withnothing flimsy about it.For the price you get a lot of tent, with plenty of well-thought out details. It'll be good for a wide range of weather conditions.

I'm not too happy about the lack of guying points at the front, and may take a couple of spare guys to fix to tape loops where the apex polesattach. The pegs are doll's tent pegs which may be OK forthe front of the inner, but I'll use full size ones elsewhere. Finally, having shaken the tent out and checked it over, it was impossible to get back into the narrow stuff sack it came in. After three attempts I gave up.

I don't know when I'll have time to try it out for real before a big trip in May but thought I'd pass on these observations as there is so little information available about it.

Just one question - in windy conditionswhat would be the optimum direction to pitch it? Any suggestions?

I pitch my Phreeranger end to the wind if possible, thats how I'd pitch the Apex.

I'll look forward to your report, quite interested to know the weight of Inner/Fly/Poles only.

£145 seems like a very good price.

According to the kitchen scales, the inner/fly/poles weigh 1.59 kg.

BTW the door on the fly has a two-way zip, which is another plus. The door is shaped like an inverted "j".

Widdler

Just bought one too, from cheaptents.com.

Very impressed as it's bigger than the photo may suggest.

Think it should be pitched with the wind hitting the side of the tent (parallel with the main pole). That way the tension band system inside will take up the strain caused by the wind. (hope that makes sense!)

First use in anger this weekend.

That would be the end rather than the side surely? I'm assuming that you're meant to lie with the main pole running from head to foot, I'd consider the side to be where the door is, where you're head or feet are I would class as theends. Lying down I'd pitch with my head or feet to windward.

It would seem to make sense to line the pole up in the direction of the wind - like a ridge tent.

MG, I'll be very interested read how you get on with the tent next weekend - flappiness, stablility etc etc.

Widdler

Had a great walk into Glen Etive with the Apex last weekend.

Cygnetory - no problems with flappiness and stability, but then, no wind!

Plenty space inside for 1 person and fine for two people. Obviously not masses of space but at the price and weight it's perfectly acceptable.

I disconnected the TBS straps from the sockets at the top of the pole - good conditions meant no use for them. Initially thought the pegs were a bit short but actually held quite well - a flattened C shape. Rolled the tent into its stuffsac on the 2nd attempt!

Stove was set up in the doorway, the big vent / flap type thing over the door would have just covered it.

Overall, very happy with the tent.

No photos unfortunately.

Great review, MG, thanks for your impressions of the tent in use. Can't wait to try mine now. I'll even give the little pegs a go. But I do think my life's too short to battle with the stuffsac.

I am reallyglad you had a calm weekend in Glen Etive, although it means thathow the tent performs is still an unknown.Since we always seem to haveterrible weather when we go away, I will have plenty of opportunity to find out.

Hi - can Apex owners answer this q?

On the Vango web page, the photo of the tent appears to show the angled porch layout the opposite way around to their plan drawing - which way around is it in reality?

The plan version would be better for a right handed person IMO.

Widdler

Cotswold Outdoor website has a pitching video of the Apex 200. It allows you a 360 degree view and a better overall insight into its shape and construction.

They are asking £170.00 so I purchased mine from cheaptents for £145.00. It is important that I have a fabric and not mesh inner as I have a terrier who doesn't understand mesh (she tries to claw through it). Having researched all of the tents with fabric inners that allow me to sit up on an exped mat without hunching over AND provides comfort for solo trips with the dog, the Apex 200 came out on top all things considered (weight, space, price etc). It even came out better than the MSR Hubba Hubba HP!

Apart from all that it reminds me of the phoenix phreeranger / runner and my mispent youth. Vango have a reputation for solid research / construction. Lets see if it lives up to my expectations.

If the Apex had been available last year I would have more than likely bought it.

It reminds me of the Phreeranger too but even more like an enlarged Micro with a cross pole. I'm not convinced that the flat/straight front/rear porches are an improvement over the tapered porch/rear of the Phreeranger (Phreeranger EB did of course have a flat/straight porch) from a wind shedding point of view butmy main concern would be the amount of wind the front/rear hoods would catch if the wind turned, they do look pretty big. I'll be interested to hear how it performs though.

One question about the porch door as it isn't clear from any of the images or video, does it have a single center zip or 2 zips, one each end of the porch.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich: :thinking: </blockquote><blockquote class="quoteheader"></blockquote><blockquote class="quoteheader">Cygnetory View Post

BTW the door on the fly has a two-way zip, which is another plus. The door is shaped like an inverted "j".
    Quote Originally Posted by </blockquote><blockquote class="quoteheader"></blockquote><blockquote class="quoteheader"></blockquote><blockquote class="quoteheader"></blockquote><blockquote class="quoteheader">Mole View Post

Hi - can Apex owners answer this q?

On the Vango web page, the photo of the tent appears to show the angled porch layout the opposite way around to their plan drawing - which way around is it in reality?

The plan version would be better for a right handed person IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clifford Sax View Post

Cotswold Outdoor website has a pitching video of the Apex 200. It allows you a 360 degree view and a better overall insight into its shape and construction.

so the plan on the vango website is left-right reversed to reality IMO.

The plan direction would be better for a right handed person to use when lying down IMO, but the 'real' version better when sitting up

Well - i'm probably unlikely to buy one anyway! (agree about possible wind catching vents too).

Off out to do some real camping now I've done me chores - managed to timetable an overnighter on the moor before seeing a client tomorrow late a.m.

[QUOTE=Mole;816078]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich: :thinking: [/QUOTE
    </blockquote>Cygnetory;811945]

Quote Originally Posted by </blockquote></blockquote>

:flushed: Mole;816078
    Off out to do some real camping now I've done me chores - managed to timetable an overnighter on the moor before seeing a client tomorrow late a.m.
    </blockquote>

Have a good one