Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to pitch a tent in strong winds? eg. the Akto

[Yes, I knew it was an older topic]

Im still pretty sure that Hilleberg recommend pitching Tunnel Tents with the Vestibule into the wind.

I think in part, because the outer tent is less likely to be forced to touch the inner tent.

Ive sent them an email to enquire

Blimey! Hilleberg Customer Service are on the Ball! Hi,

Tents with one vestibule are best placed with the vestibule facing the wind That will avoid the wind pressing the rear of the outer tent against the inner tent.

Mvh / Regards

Hilleberg The Tentmaker AB

/Kenneth Westman Drake

Goon
    That presumably makes it a right pain in the arse to actually pitch it in strong wind though, as you're going to get the wind 'balooning' it up all the time.

Initiate

That makes no sense to me at all. I always try to pitch my Nallo 2 (and 3 GT) with their arses into the wind. They are far more steamlined that way, cooking is more sheltered and when you get in and out, the rain is not blasted straight into the innertent. I accept that the fly will touch the inner at the foot end, but that, for me, is way preferable to the difficulties of pitching face into a gale.

I have huge respect for Hilly, but this adviceseems odd. I'll find out more in Patagonia in a few weeks!

That presumably makes it a right pain in the arse to actually pitch it in strong wind though

Much is at sounds wrong overall to me, that's not the reason. The door should be closed when pitching so it wouldn't make much odds which way around it was for pitching. You peg down the windward end to start with, insert the poles and pull up the lee end.

If it were a problem then a two-ended design like the Keron or Kaitum would be a pain to pitch in any sort of wind, but it ain't so.

Pete.

Initiate
    Pete - I bet you use the leeward entrance when it's blowing and wet??? And with a tapered design like the standard N2 etc, the process of pitching surely is easier if you start with the small, lower profile end into the wind first? It's far more aerodynamic, and less likely to be snatched out of your hands/ripped away from your initial pegging points? I have had this in the Gorms - had to chase the tent down through the heather and peat hags - and I was aware this might happen, but the sudden gust wasincredibly strong abd completely caught me out. Miles from anywhere, light fading, glad I had a bivi bag in case! Could've been a good recipe for a broken ankle or leg.

Rob, I agree completely. All I was saying one up was you're not guaranteed a billowing windsack if you do it t'other way around. I agree doing it t'other way around is Not a Cunning Plan.

Never used a Nallo, so can't say how much having the tapered end of the inner rub against a back-blown fly is. I'd never really consideed it, but now I have yet another reason to prefer two-ended designs...

Pete.

Initiate
    Pete, thanks. Happy with my choices, and glad you are with yours. The N2 is great, and the foot end isn't really any problem and the weight is kept low. Its porch is capacious, too. The N3GT porchprovides a massive space, capable of accomodating more sleepers or bikes etc, and one can sit up in it, host other campers for tea and chatetc, so for me, it was what I wanted. I did look into the Kaitum - you may remember advising me on this a few years ago - 3? And thanks!

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar

> Tents with one vestibule are best placed with the vestibule facing the wind That will avoid the wind pressing the rear of the outer tent against the inner tent.

I suspect a problem of nomenclature... The vestibule is probably formed in the area on the other side of the door. So the advice may be suggesting having the door in the lee of the wind.

I think...

‹bermensch

The thread specifically asks about the Aktos which isn't a tunnel. I would pitch an aktos feet to wind and have the porchy bit to the side. However, with regard to tunnel tents; I always pitch rear to windward.... Who the heck wants to open the door to a gale of wind?

The Akto can be considered a single hoop tunnel.

‹bermensch

That's an interesting observation; I had always considered the aktus a single pole structure with a transverse opening. Either way, pitching it with the porchy bit to windward would be daft.

Belgium (What did I do to deserve this ?)

So what is the conclusion on the Akto ?

Pitch it one end into wind or side on (not the door/porchside) ?

Does the same theory apply to LC, Lizard, etc ?

‹bermensch

Peg the windward end securelyfirst so the tent can 'flag' down wind. By leaving the windward vent open a draft is created between the inner and outer which blows them apart rather than the wind compressing them together. Try to pitch with your foot end to the wind and dont pitch it broadside on with the opening facing the wind..... That would be silly.

Belgium (What did I do to deserve this ?)

When I read back on this post, I see mentioned side on as opposed to end on.

I've always pitched foot end into wind to get the advantage of porch being shielded from wind with door open.

Just curious to hear more about the side on theory.....

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian_Hiker View Post

I've always pitched foot end into wind to get the advantage of porch being shielded from wind with door open.
    That's what I've been doing with my Zephyros (which apparently is very similar to a Laser Comp). It never occurred to me to pitch side-on to the wind because it seems to me that would present a less smooth airflow, increase the area of exposure to the wind, and the sideways force would flex and deform the arch of the pole.

As for the door opening towards the wind, that seems a recipe for ballooning and rain penetration. I was in Cornwall in near-gale winds a few weeks back pitched arse-end to the wind and (apart from a bit of faff actually pitching) the tent took the strongest gusts in its stride.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian_Hiker View Post

When I read back on this post, I see mentioned side on as opposed to end on.

Just curious to hear more about the side on theory.....

Me too.

I'd far rather have the foot end of the tent blown inwards onto my feet than be smothered by the head end deforming inwards over my face. As you say, the Akto will then give you a sheltered porch with the door open when pitched this way.

> That's an interesting observation; I had always considered the aktus a single pole structure with a transverse opening.

If you consider it as a tunnel tent, you would pitch it as a tunnel tent, i.e. with the hoop(s) perpendicular to the wind direction (aka one end into the wind). You also erect it as you would a tunnel tent; fit the poles into the sleeves/clips, peg out one end, and pull the other end tight and peg out. Then sort out the poles & their pegging.

> Either way, pitching it with the porchy bit to windward would be daft.

Indeed...

‹bermensch
    Quote Originally Posted by captain paranoia View Post

> That's an interesting observation; I had always considered the aktus a single pole structure with a transverse opening.

If you consider it as a tunnel tent, you would pitch it as a tunnel tent, i.e. with the hoop(s) perpendicular to the wind direction (aka one end into the wind). You also erect it as you would a tunnel tent; fit the poles into the sleeves/clips, peg out one end, and pull the other end tight and peg out. Then sort out the poles & their pegging.

> Either way, pitching it with the porchy bit to windward would be daft.

Indeed...
    Yes I would have thought so too...