Thread: Breakfast nr Penrith?

I'm staying at Penrith Travelodge next Saturday night after a day around Keswick town and hills. I'd rather avoid the "little thief" next door for breakfast and wondered if anyone could recomend somewhere good for a full english brekky on the Sunday morning somewhere between Penrith andUllswater (we'll be taking the A592 the next morning from the Travelodge towards Ullswater).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

‹bermensch
    If you drive back in towards Penrith and take the first road in towards the town after crossing over the M6 you'll see a filling station on your left after about 200 yards. Next door to it is the Red Rooster, an establishment serving large helpings of all things fried and grilled at very decent prices. It's about five minutes' drive from the Travelodge.
    Heading towards Ullswater you will pass Rheged, where you will probably be able to get a breakfast -- providing you don't get there too early and are willing to pay the (high) price. Doubt it will be a trad fry-up tho.
    There should be at least one cafe open at Pooley Bridge, and more than one at Glenridding, but I reckon you might need to take out a mortgage to get a full English at any of them -- even if they do them.
    I'd pay the very slight time penalty and go to the Red Rooster if you want the real deal.

Ultra King
    In Glenridding there is a cafe actually based next to the main carpark. The food is good there but probably not that cheap. It is that house that almost feels like it is in the middle of the carpark at the other side of the carpark to the visitor centre. Not sure of its opening times though. Its called Fellbitesand this clicky is the link to the directions.

‹bermensch
    I think the place in the car park in Glenridding is more for sandwiches, teacakes or scones with tea than full breakfasts, although I could be wrong because it's a while since I was in there.

If you want a proper sit-down full English, then you'll either have to pay through the nose or dine outside the area you're thinking of. An alternative would be to go to the post office shop at Patterdale and get a hot snack from them in the morning. They've a good selection. You might also see if some of the hotels will do breakfast for you... just phone them up in advance and see what they say... it'll either be yes or no.

Ultra King
    Good idea Paddy. Can I suggest the White Lion (or whatever that white pub where the road is constricted is called)? They have rooms I think and their food is good IMHO. If they would do a breakfast for you it might not be too expensive considering where you are. Their meals are actually quite reasonable IMO for the Lakes.

Yep... it's the White Lion... and the big hotel nearby is the Ullswater Hotel... which has big windows where you can see lots of tables and people eating meals. I know that if I was in the hotel trade and wanted to make a bit of extra dosh, I'd have no problem plonking a full English in front of a hungry walker.

Then again... anything goes. One winter I descended from an extended yomp around the ice-crusted Cheviot Hills, and I'd not only eaten all my food, but also my emergency rations, and a can of vegetable curry that had been left behind in a hut. On my way down a road in the morning I saw a B&B. I marched up to the door and asked the woman if she did the breakfast without the bed. She thought about it for a moment, saw the opportunity to earn a bit of cash, and fifteen minutes later I was tucking into the full fry.

‹bermensch
    Still reckon the Red Rooster would be a better bet Paddy -- it really is close to the Travelodge, and it would avoid having to turn up at a set time, or hanging around too long. Proably much cheaper as well.

The Post Office Shop at Patterdale is a great shout - best bacon buttie I've ever had. My mate had a sausage baguette and was equally impressed.Not a full English sit down, and not really between Panrith andUllswater either....but worth a try maybe

Thanks for the replies everyone. The red rooster gets the vote - cheers Guy! I'll have the Mrs and two kids in tow so they'll want to eat fairly early and with four mouths to feed good value is essential. We're used to Petes Eats when inSnowdonia so this sounds ideal