Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long does it take you to boil a litre of water?

Goon

Can you please post your boil time and First Vapour Timefor one litre or half a litre of water using whatever stove you use for camping, can you also post the name of the stove, if it was gas roughly how full the canister was (just say half full or whatever, it doesn't need to be THAT precise) and the type of pan used.

My Jetboil took 5 minutes 34 seconds to boil a liter of water and 3:54 for the FVT using the PCS cup.

Whisperlite internationale using coleman fuel took 4:30 for a boil and 3:35 FVT using the small aluminium pan from a trangia (it was the first one to hand).

These are both in a stiff breeze, boil times with the small aluminium pan from a trangia would be ideal in the interests of uniformity.

This is for a comparison of 6 or 7 different stoves that I have to do for AS coursework, if you could post the times it'd be a massive help.

quick stove boil time google search gave me lots of info. is that cheating if you do it?

You've pitched your tent, you'vestowed your manky waterproofs and unstowed your bag and mat. Your boots are in the porch. Your feet are out of them.

That's it - you're home (ish) and dry (ish).

Put on another layer. You're warm. Time has alreadytaken a new shape.

Relax. There is no such thing asstress at work,fear of getting lost, Jeremy Kyle, or roadworks on the M6.*

Mmmm! A brew would be nice.

So......WTF does it matter if the brew takes 43 seconds more than it might?

*Or AS coursework deadlines.

Nothing in this post is to be construed as suggesting thatvariation in boil times is not an interesting subject in itself or not worthy ofserious and disciplined enquiry - good luck to youSpen. Can't help you with boil times; I do keep figuresfor fuel consumption/per person/type of trip i.e. minimalist vs. six brews a day and proper cooking.

Goon

As long as I can get some edible tortellini down my neck within 15 minutes of lighting the stove I really don't care, and that really doesn't require that much fuel... Jetboil cup and a sideburner stove may prove to be the ideal mix for backpacking.

For comparision though, yes they are useful figues. I'd include efficiency for all of the stoves but that is getting into the realms of silly and too complicated for the project I'm doing.

Getting into the tent is great for forgetting everything, as long as you don't break a pole and have to spend the night shaking the outer!

Loads of very (some might say excruciatingly) detailed opinion on BPL......just do a search there....

Quote Originally Posted by Spen View Post

Getting into the tent is great for forgetting everything, as long as you don't break a pole and have to spend the night shaking the outer!
    Christ, I hope that's not cadet slang for something unspeakable...

Goon

Good lord! You have created some cadet slang there! What actually happened was that I took a running jump into the tent, missed and broke the pole, after getting busy with the microporous tape to keep the tent upmyself and my friend then had to take it in turns every hour or so to slap the outer a couple of times to stop water getting inside the tent...

Cheers for that Ed, I'll have a think about paying for it, or were you just talking about going through their forums?

The forums are pretty good too.

Ah members only.....

Message me your e-mail address....

Primus Etapower EF (gas) , 3 minutes, used 8g gas to boil water from 14C start.

‹bermensch
    Look at the info. on the Ballistic Brew thread, some useful info. there. Cheers.

Goon
    Cheer ken. Cheers Ed. Cheers for the suggestion on the ballistic brew thread Waldo but the only information that could be of value to my project that I can see on there is the stuff I posted, might be a sign that I should check back on this when Sober!

Mini Goon
    My msr reactor boils 1 litre in the 3 min as they said it does. Doesn't seem to matter if its summer or winter, as long as the gas canister is over half full.

Goon
    Cheers for that Yellowman, I'll pop into Wildtrak and take a look at the Reactor tomorrow as that'll be a good one to compare againts the jetboil.

Just to add to the other variables already mentioned there's 'set-up time', by which I mean the time from removing stove etc. from the pack to putting the pot over a flame. In the case of meths stoves this will vary with type.

Side burners, for instance, must be allowed to 'blossom' before a stove goes on them or they tend to go out. Even then, 'blossom time' varies from stove to stove. A White Box, for instance can take a minute, which is 40 seconds longer than a side burner made from a thinner drink can.

With a Trangia type design the pot can go on as soon as the stove is lit and benefit from the relatively inefficient flames until the jets blossom. Even here though, efficient jets blossom much sooner on a stove as described by Captain P than with a real Trangia burner.

Having said all this, who cares. Relax and enjoy the view til the pot boils.

Goon

Well, I don't know if you still need results but I just got an MSR pocket rocket so I tried it out today using a 100g Coleman canister. Air temperature was around 10C and it was gusty, so this has no doubt had an impact! I also have one of these wind-shields so I did two runs, the 1st one without it and the 2nd one with it.

1st run, without wind-shield: 9:45 to boil, 27g gas used.

2nd run, with wind-shield: 9:25 to boil, 21g gas used.

Obviously on the second run the gas pressure was much lower as it's only a little cartridge, but even then the wind-shield did bring the time down slightly and slashed the fuel consumption by more than 20% - not bad!

Goon
    Cheers man, I've got my friends stove sitting in the back of my locker so you've saved me some time with that (It's a pocket rocket as well).

Goon
    Just consider that MSR reckons it can boil a litre in 3:30 under ideal conditions and with the larger 250 canister.

It just shows how weather can affect the marketing claims I guess.

Goon
    Yeah, I've stated the manufacturer's boil times and then took the stoves outside and tested them, conditions have differed slightly between them all though so it's not a completely fair test, ah well, moderator probably won't have a clue about stoves anyway...

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar

Boil times on their own are pretty meaningless, IMHO, since you need to consider fuel use as well. You could get a quick boil time with something like a Pocket Rocket if you crank the thing up to full power, but you'd waste an awful lot of heat pissing uselessly up the side of the pan*.

A much more interesting experiement would be to try to determine efficiency of heat transfer from fuel to water, for different valve settings. You'd need to accurately measure the mass of fuel used and the burn time to achieve boil.

Then there's the thorny issue of 'what counts as boiling?'...

* much improved with the heat exchanger pans such as Primus Eta and JetBoil.

Goon
    Based on my little experiment I was actually quite impressed with the amount of energy a simple wind shield saves. For reference I was just using a fairly standard MSR aluminium pan - so no fancy heat exchanger.