Thread: Rab Neutrino Endurance Vs Mountain Equipment Vega Jacket

Widdler

Hi everyone!

I'd like to purchase a down insulated jacket and I hope you could help me making my final choice with your comments.

I've read lots of positive reviews on the Rab Neutrino Endurance jacket and was going to settle for this one. But the Mountain Equipment Vega Jacket is lighter and seems to be as warm..

Rab Neutrino Endurance / Mountain Equipment Vega Jacket

- 625g / - 535g

- 220g White Goose Down (Polish) / - 250g 93/7 Goose Down (Hungarian)

- 750 Fill Power / - 700+ Fill Power

- Stitch Through Baffle Construction / - Stitch Through Baffle Construction

- Pertex Endurance / - Drilite

Which jacket would be the warmest and most water resistant?

Which one is more durable? (They should be both good quality from reliable brands).

Thank you for your comments.

From what I can tell from looking at them in shops recently (they're lined up next to each other in Manchester right now), very similar warmth. Water resistance I think very similar too.

Durability I don't know - depends how durable the driliteloft outer on the vega is really. I suspect it must be a little thinner than endurance to explain the weight difference. Depends what you're going to do with it of course.

Fit might well make the decision for you - they're both relatively easy to find to try on.

Finally I really would look at PHDs stuff. Depending on what you want you can do the same warmth but a lot lighter (Dri shell Minimus + hood), or a fair bit warmer (Alpine down jacket) at a similar cost to the ones above.

The drawback there is that they only sell direct and make to order and things so you may have to wait/take a bit of a chance on fit - although they do do custom jobs (for a price ) etc.

Drilite - 2000mm HH

Endurance - 1000mm HH

Fabrics arepretty muchthe same in terms of weight& durability

Helpful thanks.

I wonder how the Vega ends up a little lighter then? The feature set seems the same and its got a tiny fraction more down in it and slighter longer sleeves too from the ones I tried.

(Slight surprise that - not the usual way round ).

Not a big enough weight difference to be crucial I suppose.

Widdler

Thank you for your comments.

So the ME Vega has a upper hand in terms of water resistance, it's also lighter, and the warmth is pretty similar..

Is the hood filled with down? (This could explain the weight difference).

Any Vega owners out there who could comment?

Cheers.

Widdler

Does the ME Vega packs up in its pocket or in a stuff sack?

The weight difference could be the stuff sack used by Rab..

The actual weight might be something else. Some manufacturers are 'optomistic' with their published weights.

Widdler

As a Vega owner I can confirm the hood is completely down filled for full head insulation and also comes with a separate bag it fits into. Unbelievable quality, extremely warm and the cut/ fit of the jacket is fantastic. 10/10.

Widdler

Ive had both, I think the ME vega feels warmer and for me was a much better fit. I find the rab jackets for people with long skinny arms. Also the rab has the hood stowaway system which I found actually caused a draft down my neck. Rab claims 800fp and me 750 but I hear ME have been underselling their down. The vega feels a bit loftier in my opinion

Mini Goon

Outer fabrics are pretty much the same.

Rab uses Hydrophobic down and has water resistant zips so will probably be better if it's a bit damp.

ME has, IMO, a much better fitting hood (elasticated).

ME has a nifty offset zip baffle.

ME has, IMO, a better cut (could be a reason that it is lighter) (it has more baffles in the body), the Rab feels a bit more boxy to me.

The outer fabric on the ME extends slightly onto the inside of the jacket around the lower hem to protect the down from spindrift etc.

ME often do undersell their down, the fill power they state is always the absolute minimum that is in the jacket. If you check their down codex audit thing you'll often find it's a bit higher than what they state (not by much)

If i had to buy one i'd buy the ME. Unless I wanted to wear it in the rain (as most people seem to do) in which case i'd buy the rab

Widdler

I have an ME K7, before that I had an ME Himal, I have not had a Vega & dont really rate it as a high end for the simple reason it is a stitch through baffle construction as opposed to MEs' better, no cold spots, fewer pressure points, box wall baffle construction.

Pressure points are important because they are potentialy the areas where water might (or might not) cause dampness starting to show through after an hour or 2 of steady rain & on any stitch through construction jacket the stitch through seams are all over the place, on box wall baffle there are no stitch through points except at the edges, including pocket & zip stitches, on all jackets these are areas where there is more pressure.

All that said, the ME DriliteLoft 11 or the more recent DriliteLoft1 is 1500 HH compared to the Pertex 1000mm HH, the MEDriliteLoft is second to non in water resistant down jackets & the new hydrophobic down opinions, although not veri well reviewed yet, are that it would dri out quicker if it got wet but would be little different when out in rain & getting wet, down anyway dries out very quickly once in a sound drying place, it is ater all natures bird survival fabric

I looked up the Rab Neutrino to check whether stitch through or box wall, I am surprised that on the Rab site it does not say.

My opinion for why its worth is that an ME box wall baffle with their patented EXL elasticated fiting system &DriliteLoft 1500HH, windproof (so is Primaloft windproof) is the dryest, warmest down in the market today relative to the fill powerof the individual jacket - ME uses theInternational IDFB Lorch cylinder method to get the fill power measure & its not the same as the US standard 800FP & EU standard 800 fill power claims.

Widdler

I forgot - yes the hood on the ME is outstanding, it can be fitted to exactly where & how the user wants it, no wind gets in it once fitted properly & yesterday AM I was in an exposed area with very strong, quite cold to my face, gusts & inside the K7. from head to the fitting below the waist I felt nothing but like being inside a warm, impenatrable, coccoon.

Widdler
    Considering the usefulness of a removable hood and the updated features on this year's model I'd consider a Lightline rather than the vega.

Widdler

You seem to have rather come down on the Vega/M.E. side of the fence. But if the Neutrino Endurance is still a possibility, you can get the non-hydrophobic version on webtogs.co.uk at the moment for 150... which as you're probably aware is pretty darn cheap.

Regardless which you decide on, they're both awesome jackets and would both serve you well! The finishing quality of Rab and M E jackets is excellent - you won't be disappointed either way.

Here's the URL for the 150 neutrino:

Neutrino Endurance