Thread: Bags to boil boil in the bags / lwwf

Finally found some lwwf meals at waitrose but it seems the paper labels are welded on so it looks like i'll have to boil them in another bag.

Can anyone tell me what i should be looking for in the local asda, i've never used "boilable" bags before.

Ps, are the gum and dyes actually harmfull, i don't mind weird coloured smash but i don't want to poison myself.

Sorry for the dumb questions, the missus and kids and the inlaws are all sunning it up in turkey and i'm useless with food unless it's a wayfarer.

Ultra King

Ultra King Jamie @ www.trekkingbritain.com's Avatar
    I use Pour and Store bags you can find in places like Tesco. Great things, I bought six about a year ago and use them in the kitchen all week for storing things and then some weekends take them on the hills, they last years!

Pour and Store bags are excellent for rehydrating stuff, but I think for boil in the bag I'd go with Mal's suggestion - they're more malleable and it'll be easier to squish the thing full of LWWF food into the pot of boiling water.

Thanks for the replies.

Initiate
    These are much cheaper than the Baco ones, and are fairly bombproof.

Morrissons are doing LWWF for £1.30 at the moment.

This question about the labels and the ink dyes keeps cropping up on this forum. Isn't it time someone asked LWWF for a definitive statement? I mean, for all anyone knows, the labels are harmless, but the experts are surely LWWF themselves. They might be happy to sell their packs without labels, though knowing the way the Nanny State operates, I'm sure that would be against the law and we'd all risk death by nut allergy or something.

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar

A better question to ask might be "why have a paper label anyway? why not print the plastic package? or why not use a glue that allows the label to be peeled off?".

These questions could be asked quite generically about packaging. The last one especially...

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Dillon View Post
    This question about the labels and the ink dyes keeps cropping up on this forum. Isn't it time someone asked LWWF for a definitive statement? I mean, for all anyone knows, the labels are harmless, but the experts are surely LWWF themselves. They might be happy to sell their packs without labels, though knowing the way the Nanny State operates, I'm sure that would be against the law and we'd all risk death by nut allergy or something.
    Why not check their website, it's all explained there....

Get a decent thickish zip lock plastic bag put the lwwf sachet into the platic bag, sqeeze out most of the air pop whole lot in water. when done throw lwwf bag (responsibly of course) dry and store ziplock and use again...and again etc.....simples innit

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar

> sqeeze out most of the air pop whole lot in water

I'd be tempted to put a little water in the outer bag, to encourage better heat transfer.

Ooooo I'll try that next time

Mini Goon
    ok, but is it safe to then use the hot water to make a brew? Or does no one do it cos the tea tastes plasticy?

LWWF recommend soaking in warmish water to remove the label. Then you can boil in the bag as normal.

As they say, the outdoorsuser is not their main market.

Goon
    I just boil them in the bag and use the water for a brew. Never had a problem with ink coming off or strange tasting water.

Goon
    As Grendel says and LWWF advise just soak the pouch in warm water at home to remove the labels. According to their website the contents are unaffected by temperatures up to 60degC, so just make sure the waters not too hot.