Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alone in the Wild?

Goon

Anyone following this documentary? Initial thoughts?

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/alone-in-the-wild

I watched the first one, wasn't overly impressed to be honest. Would have been far more entertaining if it was a Ray Mears type dropped in with just the essentials to survive with, rather than some journalist with more gear than he knew what to do with. I also got really tired of all the carry-on about bears as if he was only ever moments away from getting eaten.

I was thinking about buying one of those electric fences he had ! I wonder if they sell them on backpackinglight

Quote Originally Posted by Andy D Jones View Post

I was thinking about buying one of those electric fences he had ! I wonder if they sell them on backpackinglight
    Could it be used to keep the chavs away from your tent on the busier camp sites?

It's not bad, the bears paranoia is OTT though or is that an attempt to make it better TV? He seems out of his depth and a bag of nerves. I'd be more focused on what I was doing/where I was going rather than continually worrying about bears that may or may not be nearby. If I'm not mistaken he was butchering and cooking next to where he had made camp which is a bit stupid when there's bears around and contradictory to his bears paranoia? The electric fence thing I thought was a bit odd too, why would you want to lug that around with you + a heavy battery? Mind you in his case perhaps he needs it? Does anyone know anything about this bloke, what he does etc I don't think it was mentioned in the programme? He's not coming across as an outdoors type is he?

So long as he can run faster than the film crew, I don't think he needs to worry!

By the way... how 'alone' are you... when you have a film crew with you?

It looks as if there will be a lot of focus on the psychological effects of being alone out there. In terms of the risk he was taking, a lot of steps were taken to make him as safe as possible. He had the means to send emergency messages, and was also required to send a daily "I'm ok" signal, failing which a plane would do a flyover to check on him.

From the looks of it though he finds the lack of human contact hard going and from what I read he said he found it very hard to make decisions(whether good or bad). Clearly the isolation does weigh quite heavily on him, and I'm sure that magnifies his perception of risk (and inthe case of thebears it obviously leaves him quite terrified).

It would be interesting to see how a "Ray Mears" would cope, but Ialso think there is some value in seeing this more "everyman" take onsurvival (and I'm being rather mean calling him an everyman, he has been up Everest which is more than I'll ever do!)

I'll definitely be tuningin again on Thursday, it is far more interesting than most of the %&*# they put on tv!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt P View Post

It looks as if there will be a lot of focus on the psychological effects of being alone out there.
    God only knows where that leaves me! I think I'm 'alone out there' 95% of the time!

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Dillon View Post

So long as he can run faster than the film crew, I don't think he needs to worry!

By the way... how 'alone' are you... when you have a film crew with you?

There isnt a film crew, he does the filming himself.

The question of why all the kit is easy to answer, hes pretty static, so doesnt have to carry stuff miles, he needs to stay in one place so he can get to the drop off point for his film, and I assume pickup new film / batterys. He also has a cannoe, so can shift his kit that way.I cant figure out where he expects to get the majority of his diet from, moose seems to be off limits, and there does not appear to be a lot of ground game. Fishing wise traps or multi line methods might help catch enough to survive on. Spinning is one of the most energy inneficient ways to fish.

JonC... thanks... maybe I should get a telly and watch... before jumping to conclusions.

Then again... maybe I should stick with real life!

Ultra King

JonC is correct about no film crew. The guy is a wildlife cameraman I believe with some pedigree and grew up snaring rabbits to sell to pubs in the area he lived for extra cash. So he knows a little about catching his food. You might have seen the programme where he caught and ate one of those spiny critters (forgotten the name of them).

As far as gear goes it was set-up in the beginning of the first programme as him alone for 3 months with limited gear. He did however have a stash of food that he had planned to ration out by using whatever resources he could find. Unfortunately he only found fish for a long time so his food resources dropped quicker than he had planned for.

He is based in one area and limited on his location by the trip once a week to drop off and collect his filming equipment. It is only a drop off point and he supposedly doesn't meet up with anyone. However I suppose he could contact them at the same time if things went drastic.

I think you guys are too ready to criticise, personally I am giving him the benefit of the doubt. That fence (as he admitted) is only temporary as the battery will run out and he isn't (supposedly) going to be able to replace it. I do believe the butchering and cooking was actually done away from his sleeping spot which is probably what he was trained by his "bear expert". I suspect he has had training on top of his experiences growing up in the coutry, catching stuff. He did mention a few times experts and advice he had so I think he has had training. It is a little Bear Grylls made for TV with the hypersensitivity to bears.

Ultra King

I first watched it thinking he was dropped off somewhere and had to get himself out. but is it just a case of him living off the land for an extended period of time. I am sure other people have done this quite happily for longer than 3 months. Indeed I am sure there are some people (perhaps lurking but not posting on here) who would love to be able to spend time away fromn anyone else for 3 months. I am sure there are a few people I can think off that I would like to send away like that for 3 months (and longer in some cases).

Would Ray Mears do something like this? I doubt it really fits in with his modus operandi. He is more instructional then get the hell out kind of guy. Bear is a kind of entertain people in the wilds then go to somewhere safe for the night or after only a few nights. Indeed I think Ray Mears' programmes don't get made where he spends any real length of time out in the wilds. These are all different types of programme that kind of want to inspire people to just get out there. I must admit I do want to get out to where he is someday or at least up in that territory somewhere.I think MattP has it right, this guy is not like most of us who go on trips to somewhere nice and safe like Scotlang (relatively as there are even deaths in many UK wildish places), but he is a bit of an explorer / living really out in the wilds kind of guy, just he could be overplaying the bears risk. I could be totally wrong because there are areas where the bear population is quite high and bear contact is a bigger risk. And don't forget there are more than the grizzly bear that attacks humans. I heard one of the other ones is actually repsonsible for more human attacks than the grizzly (could have mis-heard though).

I ask yo one thing, which would you rather watch, dancing with stars in a come dancing styley or someone freaking out in the wilds of Canada? Are you a spangly dress kind of guy or a combats and big knife man living off the land with a big girly electric fence that wouldn't be any deterrent to a big old bear intent on a feed?

I would hate to think of any of you lot in a spangly dress do the fandango but each to there own in these more enlightened times.

Ultra King Jamie @ www.trekkingbritain.com's Avatar
    "maybe I should get a telly and watch..." I think someone broke into Paddy's place!

Jamie... Maybe I'm feeling kindly disposed to the BBC, since I've recently been paid for their crimes, and I'm expecting another payment soon, and I may well chase up a third payment. Then again... it's not really their money is it... so I guess it doesn't cause them any pain!

‹bermensch
    Who is he?, what's his background? , how much training has he had ?, how much gear has he? , how does he move it all around ?, is he still there ? etc etc. - see www.channel4.com/alone for all your answers.

The bear paranoia must be for TV. He's in the Yukon where bears are not a big problem. They mostly keep out of your way. I hiked 1000 miles solo through the Yukon and only saw three bears (and hardly any more people - none at all for ten days at one point). As long as you take the standard precautions they're not something to worry about.

Watching him carry his rucksack a few miles tonight was the biggest argument for going light I've ever seen. Carry everything you might possibly need and...get totally knackered, lose your mind, have no strength or flexibility for the important things (like finding food), and force yourself to sound as though it's enjoyable.

It seems to me like an Bear Grylls style exhibition of macho-ness. Having made those criticisms, I wouldn't have been able to last that long without any human contact ( I don't intend to try...for that long) and I have a grudging admiration for his ability to get as far as he did while making life as difficult for himself as possible.

He doesn't make walking in the wild look like fun though. He could probably have done with reading TGO or coming on this site first.

So far he seems to be a bit of a wimp. Aimless with poor motivation, sobbing into the camera and not really applying a routine to his situation.

He has shelter, a canoe, a Spot messenger, an electric fence, a gun, ammunition, an axe, knives, a fishing rod, the means to light a fire, cooking pots, ropes, climbing gear and a plane to pick up his footage at regular intervals.

Up to now the only real point of watching the series is to find out what physical and psychological effects the experience is having on him and if he'll stay the course. That may be the main point.

For me, it would have been more interesting and informative to see what someone with better bushcrafting skills could achieve in a similar situation.

‹bermensch
    Quote Originally Posted by LotC View Post

Up to now the only real point of watching the series is to find out what physical and psychological effects the experience is having on him and if he'll stay the course. That may be the main point.
    He was pulled out on August 22nd after 50 days. So no need to watch anymore !

Ultra King Jamie @ www.trekkingbritain.com's Avatar
    Watched it for first time last night and despite the scenery and seeing what effects the loneliness can have mentally it was a complete yawn fest to be honest, there is no narrative story or useful information, no emphasis on what he actually does each day which would have b een interesting to see some sort of routine and why etc? Could have been ten times betetr I thought and probably won't watch it again.