Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you all like to weigh your outdoors kit please?

Many thanks folks! All pertinent suggestions welcomed! Looked so far at the ones on the IWOOT website, two types there of digital electronic scales meant mostly for weighing airline baggage at home though prior to a trip. Anything better out there you recommend though please instead? Must remember to ask keen outdoors bloggers Baz and Darren what they use too as well for this!

get home. weigh bag with luggage scales. mutter "so that's why it was heavy"

‹bermensch

I use the kitchen scales to weigh individual items. They cope with up to 2 kg.

I'm not a devotee of weighing everything but I do put things on the electronickitchen scales once in a while. I've also got a set of portable luggage scales that are accurate to about 50g- no use for the small stuff but gives me something to weigh the final pack weight with some accuracy.

Actually, I've got pretty good at estimating luggage & rucksack weights. Usually I can guestimate to within a kilo or two in the range of 5 - 35 kg. Lets me know whether I need to bother with the luggage scales for travel weight restrictions!

John

Ultra King

I just put everything I need into the bag or rucksack and carry it onto the bathroom scales then re-weight without the bag. Subtract one from the other and you get either the weight of your bag or the negative weight of your bag which is my preferred weight as it mean my bag is lighter. I think.

Works better with a digital read out. Trying to maintain balance with a potentially heavy bag on your back (before load lightening) while bending down to read the scales with the needle moving all over the place as you try to keep your balance doesn't really work well. Certainly not a good look.

I sometimes use my kitchen scales without the bowl to weigh smaller items up to the size of the individual parts of my tent. It measures in 50g increments though so not too accurate. A lot of estimating if it is nearer say the 250g or 300g line then just calling it 275g as a compromise. Did that with my tent and decided I no longer needed the bag it came in the bag the poles came in and the repair kit. Reckon I only need the poles, fly (single skin) and the pegs in the bag. One day the peg bag will go for a lighter sil-nylon bag or a mesh bag if it is lighter.

Trev - you going lightweight or something? I do hope you don't leave your folding camp axe and bushcraft knife behind. Remind me where to find that folding camp axe I remember you finding somewhere.

At the moment, the heaviest single item in my pack keeps getting heavier...

and she won't cooperate when I try to weigh her with the luggage scales...

babies, eh?

Hence why it's a bit pointless to go on a Quixotic Quest for lightness!

Ultra King

You could always pass that one on to the other half and wait for a newer lighter one to come along. That is the ULer way you know, replace with lighter version when they come along.

Note - Usually only works for the female half of any couple this handing off of heavier stuff,but you can always try.

I'll be working on getting the current model strong enough to carry any future replacements... and get my slippers when I come home (which she's already mastered )

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar

I use digital kitchen scales that cope up to 5kg with 1g resolution.

I've been tempted by the "dope seller's scales" on the local market for accurate measurements for meths burner experiments (100g/0.1g).

Everything is measured, stuck in a spreadsheet, and then added up to find the total weight, rather than weighing the packed bag.

Stick the sac on me back, if it fells to heavy, take something out

Just a rough guestimate usually ...I guess my pack for this weekend weighs 5882g

Quote Originally Posted by captain paranoia View Post

I've been tempted by the "dope seller's scales" on the local market for accurate measurements for meths burner experiments (100g/0.1g).
    be warned, CP... Reading dope dealers are known to short-measure .

It weighs what it weighs and putting it on the scales isn't going to change that. As long as it fits right, does the job, and is comfortable to carry I'm not bothered about a few hundred grams here or there.

> Reading dope dealers are known to short-measure

Ah, that's why everyone carries their own sets of scales, then...

Weigh everything individually on kitchen scales, put it all into a spreadsheet, then write a function that triggers the total weight by whether you set it to be included or not. I used this method to try and get my base weight down without throwing any money at it.

I then threw a lot of money at it...

Incredibly sad i know but i aint got a pair of weighing scales...

OK Thanks folks! I was thinking everyone would be using some kind of luggage scales but apparently not! I asked Bazzer and he too uses a set of postal scales by Wedo Picco - 1000 model.

Like Capt P, I use digital kitchen scales for weighing individual items. Mine go up to 5kg in 1g increments. They are pretty cheap to buy andapparently they can also be used for cooking.

They are OK for most items but where you've got something bulky like a sleeping bag, which would overhang the scales and give a false reading,I shove the item in a stuffsack, weigh it and deduct the weight of the stuffsack to get the weight of the item itself.

For weighing a packed sack, I use my digitalbathroom scales. Either I rest the pack on the scales, ensuring that nothing is overhanging, or I weigh myself with and without the pack, deducting the former reading from the latter.

> I was thinking everyone would be using some kind of luggage scales but apparently not!

Mine are Hanson digital scales; £6 at TKMaxx (rrp £35)

> put it all into a spreadsheet, then write a function that triggers the total weight by whether you set it to be included or not.

Ditto. I have two addition columns: wear and carry, and sections for the different 'systems'; carry, shelter, sleep, cooking, cleaning, etc.

i'm off to count my collection of rivets.

Ultra King Jamie @ www.trekkingbritain.com's Avatar
    Weigh kit? What sort of idiot does that?...