Thread: Old quasars vs new and spare parts

Widdler

Hello all,

I've been reading some of the great commentary on tents within this forum, but I have some missing information that would be helpful to me.

I've just bought a Terra Nova Ultra Quasar, based mostly on its weight because I want to be able to drag it around solo if I have to (usually wouldn't be the case).

However, from reading about the changes to the quasar over the years, from the old pre-2005 version where the only difference between the quasar and ultra quasar was (apparently) the flysheet (or was that an even older version?), I want to figure out if it's possible to make modifications to strengthen it.

What I'd like to do ideally is to at some point pick up either a modern standard quasar (used) or else an older quasar (possibly even a Wild Country branded one) and use the parts from that to strengthen the current ultra quasar I have in various increments. This way (if it worked) I would have a lighter version, which should I ever need some extra strength and confidence, could be mixed and matched to a higher weight.

So my main question is, how different is the current ultra quasar to both the current standard quasar and to the older standard quasar? Are the different components compatible? If not, where do the incompatibilities lie?

And just in general, which parts changed in the quasar over the years? Does anyone know how the new ultra quasar fares when compared to the old one?

A pretty complex question, which I guess is why I've had so much difficulty finding an answer. If anyone can help me, even partially, I'd appreciate it very much.

Thanks!

I have an older Wild Country Quasar but when I damaged a pole the guy at TN advised me that the newer Quasars were slightly different size so the poles wouldn't fit. He did however send me a selection of used pole sections FOC to allow me to repair mine. I think that rules out the Wild Country branded ones for your purposes.

Dave you could get another pole-set so you can dual pole your tent.

Widdler

Thanks for that R_Mac. It rules out the poles in a Wild Country Quasar, but there's also likely to be a stronger flysheet and ground sheet... though perhaps the wear and tear in a used one would cancel out the benefit, and it'd be nice to get something with both poles and a flysheet I can use.

John - How would I go about doing that? I'm pretty new to tents and have mostly done single day trekking or places where I didn't need to camp. I'm assuming you don't mean two poles in one sleeve because that surely wouldn't fit. So what do you mean by dual pole? How would you set that up?

yep I do mean two poles in one sleeve . I know you can and ment to be able to do it on a normal quasar inner.

Widdler

Oh right. Thanks!

The other thing I'd ask then is, what do you think the relative benefits of doing that are, compared to a stronger flysheet and stronger pegs? What would make the biggest difference when it comes to keeping the thing standing in extreme conditions?

I think with most new tents (before the UV gets them) the poles will be the first thing to go as at the end to day they're the thing that holds the tent up. You can dual pole hillebergs and some other mountaineering tents.

> stronger pegs

Well pegs that don't come out help alot. The bigger thing IMO is where you put it.

I have just returned from spending a night in my old WC Quasar bought in 1991. Gale force winds in Honister pass but sadly broke a pole taking the tent down. The two pole idea sounds good as when the winds gusted at approx 50-80 mph the tent did collapse slightly but sprung back when it eased. Gutted I broke a pole but seen replacements sets at £160. Can't seem to find just a single pole section for sale.
    If the newer quasars are anything like mine then you will be getting a good tent. Double poles for extreme winds as prior to that the tent has stood up in strong winds.

‹bermensch

Hi Barry

I would contact Terra Nova first to see if they could supply a replacement pole. Sometimes they can be very helpful, but sometimes not.

Other companies which can supply replacement poles -- or have done in the past -- include Hampton Works and Scottish Mountain Gear.

Widdler

We have some spare poles due to upgrading sets over the years, and then replacing the whole thing with a shiny new Ultralite Quasar.

If you're interested in the pole details we have for sale, we can email you (outside the forum) with their spec, and we could also check with Terra Nova which models they will fit if you like.