Thread: snapwires

I'm thinking of expanding my range of titanium cutlery (currently only packing a spork and a motley collection of eurohike kfs). To improve packability i was looking at the alpkit snapwires (i believe other similar items are available) but i was worried that the wire nature of the handles would make the cutlery less usable (bending/ dificult to grip etc) so has anybody used these? what do you think?

I prefer Alpkit's 'Flatiron' cutlery, but I don't think you'd have any problem with the 'Snapwire' versions. The wires are pretty stiff and they're OK to grip. Just remember that when you unfold them, the small metal slider needs to be pushed forward to make the each item of cutlery into a secure unit. If you don't do that, then you risk one of them suddenly folding and then you'd get great globs of food all over your best outdoor clothes!

I have a couple of Tibetan ti ones, spork & knife. They seem sturdy enough but sometimes the handle folds up on mine even though I've had the lock bar right down. It could well be the way I've been holding it at the time though and I haven't spilled anything. I actually just use a GSI Long Spoon now as I eat from a freezer bag and the length is useful.

I got the Ti Wires from these guys.

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Trek-Lite__W0QQ_armrsZ1

edit

See, I knew it was my fault they folded, obviously Paddy's more cultured than I am

Quote Originally Posted by R_Mac View Post
    See, I knew it was my fault they folded, obviously Paddy's more cultured than I am
    Oh yes... I'm very cultured... I don't stab visciously at my food once it's dead!

I use the Optimus folding Ti spork rather than the Alpkit one - I sent the Alpkit one back because the finish on it is a lot less polished than the Optimus (but then that shows in the price....). Provided the lock bar is properly in place it's very sturdy and reliable.

I did keep the Alpkit snapwire knife. I don't carry it often, but I'd take it on an extended trip if I expected to include fresh food in my diet. I reckon the handle would be fine because you'd naturally be using the knife to cut in a different plane to the hinge, and you could spread too with the side that would push against the hinge.

Widdler
    I got these from Millets ú5.99 They work great and finish is first class. I know there not titanium. Fairly light at 75g as opposed to 47g for the Alpkit snapwires(knife, fork, spoon combined weight). Price is good though and for my needs an extra 28g means nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Dillon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by R_Mac View Post
    Oh yes... I'm very cultured... I don't stab visciously at my food once it's dead!
    I see where I'm going wrong then, the food needs to be dead before you try to eat it

That's right R_Mac... so don't be fooled by anything that's just pretending to be dead!

Recently I found the best online course platforms! Do you have something to add?