Thread: Photon Hoodie - New Version

Had a Photon Hoodie for three months or so but somehow managed to loose it so just replaced it. The one I bought before must have been last years model.

Like this year's Neutrino Endurance jacket, this one feels cheaper, a bit less compressible, not quite so comfortable, less precise stitching and detail. Also found a hole in one of the inside pockets, and the zip doesn't quite come together when you zip it up.

On the plus side though the Rab badge on the chest is in colour

If anyone else is thinking of replacing their rab Hoodie I'd advise them to ask for last year's model.

I can't send mine back now because I cut off the hanger at the collar.

So overall a bit crappy for a 100 jacket, but it does. Looks like they're going the same way as North Face in terms of quality control.

I've been told by Rab's new owners that next years model will have non-whip hood cords, but by then they'll probably be selling them with one arm missing.

Anyway, I'm hoping by then there will be some better non-Rab alternatives out there.

Teach me to loose things.

I bought one recently too and thought that the standard of construction was only just acceptable. Ditto a pair of Rab vapour rise pants I bought in the winter. The Montane gear I have is much better made than the Rab stuff.

Mini Goon

if it's faulty, you can still take it back. Same as if the stitching started unravelling. i'd say a hole in the pocket was a fault & a zip not matching properly is not fit for the purpose.

if it was a 'fashion item', they're not expected to last as long as something that is marketed & expected by a reasonable buyer to be durable. Good luck!

Oddly enough I've just found my old one - it ended up at the bottom of someone elses rucksack

stewart wright wrote (see)

if it's faulty, you can still take it back. Same as if the stitching started unravelling. i'd say a hole in the pocket was a fault & a zip not matching properly is not fit for the purpose.

if it was a 'fashion item', they're not expected to last as long as something that is marketed & expected by a reasonable buyer to be durable. Good luck![/QUOTE]

But even though the new one's faulty, I can't see how I could return it after having snipped of the hanger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve I View Post
    I bought one recently too and thought that the standard of construction was only just acceptable. Ditto a pair of Rab vapour rise pants I bought in the winter. The Montane gear I have is much better made than the Rab stuff.

Yes the Montane stuff looks good, almost bought a Prism 2 but I still prefer that quantum lining and the lighter build of the Photon, and I really don't care for elastic cuffs. Better quality though.

Just glad I got my older and better Hoodie back. Now I'll probably have to try and sell the new one.

RAB ain't faulty. ever. say that again and i'll give you a chinese burn.

OK Stewart, I'll try it, nothing to lose...

Thanks for the tip

Anyone know if thephoton hoodie in blue going for 60 onlineis last years' "better quality" model?

Rab online only shows it in black - whichretails 85-100.

I triedthe blue oninstore and it fits perfectly under the Rab Super Dru - making itseemingly idealfor extreme Winter conditions (i.e. Canada in -20).

Resurrecting an old-ish thread here, but I'm just trying to understand if the "new version" referred to is the 2009/2010 model, as shown here at Tower Ridge?

Liking the look of this one, especially the wired hood, but don't want to pull the trigger without a little fondle, if there are known QC issues with it.

Anyone got one of these 2009/2010 Photons and have any feedback?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Watson View Post

I've been told by Rab's new owners that next years model will have non-whip hood cords, but by then they'll probably be selling them with one arm missing.
    the new one is 'with draw-cord tunnels' Richard, so I guess it's not the version Tom had problems with.

I have one of the older ones with the potentially annoying hood cords - apart from that (and maybe the not well thought out velcro cuff fastenings), it's great.

Aye, that's the way I read it too Mole.

Hoping so, I'm lusting after one now. Hoping to nip down to Sleet + Stone on Thursday to see if they've got one I can stroke...

Well I'm now the owner of a 2009/10 Photon Hoodie.

First impressions.

Nice long sleeves prevent the jacket riding up, cut quite slim, so no excess flappy material.

Hood is superb, easily swallows a helmet, but can be adjusted to fit snugly without, draw-cord tunnels work as you'd expect, hood can be cinched right down to keep out the weather, but the wired peaks means it doesn't obstruct visibility.

Nice soft fleece chin guard and inside the hardwarmer pockets, which are perfectly placed. Lofts very well and feels pretty warm for the weight, which on my scales is 550g for a XL.

Cuffs seem fine, though I don't really know what was wrong with the previous version? However,the velcro is pretty sticky, which is good, but one of the cuff tab pieces already seems to be coming detached, so maybe some stitching issues still. I'll need to have my seamstress look at this before I decide if it's going back or not, but otherwise I'm full of smit.

Widdler
    So how's the jacket held out? Love it? Loath it? Lost it? Returned it?

Absolutely love mine. It's been ever present in my pack over the winter and comes out for every brew stop. I know it's 500g, but it seems lighter and so I never think twice about chucking it in the pack, which I did about my old 900g Snugpak. Seen a fair amount of non-technical bumming around use too.

I put a few extra stitches in the cuff velcro and it's been fine since, but I now know to grab the velcro as well as the tab when ripping the cuffs open. No other QC issues at all though.

I bought this as a Winter belay jacket primarily, so it ought to be going in the cupboard now for a few months, but I can still see me carrying it occasionally in the high hills over the summer. I deliberately got the XL to go over my Winter kit though, so it is a bit big over just baselayer and light water/wind-proof.

Widdler

OK, thanks

The stitching coming off the cuff velcro is a bit worrying as I tend to adjust that a fair bit on mine. Might just take the plunge though - I imagine I can send it back if it comes apart within 6 months or so.