Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi Tec V-Lite Altitude Ultra WPi First Look

I purchased a pair of these boots last October. They are light and comfortable and seemed to be 100% waterproof - well that was until this week when I walked for a couple of hours on footpaths with wet short grass and I'm afraid to say my feet ended up SOAKING WET! it's taken a week for the whole boot to dry out completely.

To say I'm disappointed is an understatement - I really thought I'd found the ultimate perfect boot.

I know they are not supposed to need ever waterproofing but I going to have to go down that route - any recommendations on the best product to do so anyone ?

Welcome to OM Sue

Wet grass is terrible stuff, somehow gets your feet wetter than standing water. I don't think there is any walking footwear out there that is waterproof and will never need waterproofing (except welly boots if thats your thing), Waterproof/breathable linings in boots always wear out quicker than the rest of the boot and are than worse than useless. I've not tried them myself but a lot of people on OM are keen on Goretex socks, my preference is more traditional, decent quiality leather boots without a W/B lining, they need looking after but if you do that they will keep you feet dry.

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar
    I'm sure there must be some other Ion-Mask threads you can dig up...

Widdler

Hi, yeah, I fell for all the bumph in the adverts for these boots, I have worn them for six times now on a one hour walk near to where I live.

Once it rained lightly and the boots were ok and did not let any water in.

The last time it rained for the full hour of my walk....... a half mile of the walk is through agrassy field. Well my feet were soaked when I got home. What a waste of money these boots are......avoid them at all cost they are useless.

I should recallthe old mantra...'you only get what you pay for'

They are veryuncomfortable too, I thought I may be able to use them for summer walkingon the Lakeland fellsas they are reasonably light and leave my trusted Scarpas at home. One hour is enough .......

If anyone from Hi Tec would like to contact me please feel free to do so through this site............I won't hold my breath though.

Widdler
    I have had a pair of these boots for a while now and have never been let down by them.A couple of weeks ago I was in Glenveigh National Park in Donegal walking in seriously boggy ground all day and returned with Vdry feet.

Hmmm... after going through this site, I am more confused. I am currently trying to decide betweena pair ofHi-Tec Altitude ultras and Scarpa Navigators at about the same price. I have never had Hi-Tec's before but they felt a lot more comfortable wearing them at the store, and I was attracted to it breathability and waterproofness. Though after reading your comments, I wonder if I should stray away from the trusty Scarpas???I welcome anythoughts/advise??

Fit first and formost with footwear really

If they do leak - as you can see reports cf that seem markedly mixed - then waterproof socks and things can be used, whereas something which doesn't fit.....

I've been using mine on regular 4 to 7 hour walksin Snowdonia and the Lakes, through wet grass, snow and rainwithout a single issue. I've used them every day during in this snowy weather..... Perfect! Incredibly light, extremely comfortable. My only thoughts are on ascetics, how to treat scuffs, without compromising breath ability?

Check with your supplier. I ordered a pair about a month ago and when they didn't arrive a couple of weeks later I contacted the supplier whotold me that Hi-Tec have done a recall on all Altitude Ultra boots due to issues with the waterproofing. Apparently they are due to be replaced at the end of Feb 2010 with a new "Luxe" model, which will be on their way to me once in stock.

I too thought that I had found the perfect boot until I went for a walk in the wet and ended up soaked.

Back to Goretex for me

I also thought that I had found a winner, until I went for a walk in the wet and ended up with sodden feet.

I'll stick with Brashers in future

Me too! Did hours of research, lots of great reviews include WHICH? for this boot, so bought them.

Today I had wet feet, granted walking through grass not rivers, but my feet wear wrinkled when I got home, the boot is still damp now 6 hours later.

I am sending them back, very disappointed and now back to the drawing board, Brasher is next on my list

I was issued a pair of Hi Tech's through work and TBH would only wear them for walking on low level paths around country parks. But my mate loved his. Compared to my previous Meindl's or my current Salomons and Scarpa's, well... there is no comparison. You may save yourself 40 or 50 quid but its short term gain for long term misery. In my experience you really do get what you pay for.

Übermensch
    just returned from a week in the lakes, the mrs has these boots and her feet stayed dry for the whole very wet week, although gaitors are needed with these boots to keep her feet dry. she loves em as they are so light.

I should also add (and this is not because I've just sold a pair in the classifieds) that the Kids boot sseem to be exactly th eopposite. Well made, waterproof as long as you treat them with a bit of respect and a decent proofer, and according to my eldest really comfy. So much so he's now on his third pair!

Übermensch
    not sure about the proofer craig, ive followed the makers instructions and only ever washed the boots clean, no polish and no wax and after nearly two years they still work, provided gaiters are worn with them. the only time they have leaked was i reckon through the bellows especially through long grass etc hence the gaitors.

Quote Originally Posted by lfenbo View Post
    not sure about the proofer craig, ive followed the makers instructions and only ever washed the boots clean, no polish and no wax and after nearly two years they still work, provided gaiters are worn with them. the only time they have leaked was i reckon through the bellows especially through long grass etc hence the gaitors.
    Only referring to the kids boots Lfenbo.

Übermensch
    ah right craig, sorry i thought u meant the kids boots were the same make as the thread

Yeah, should have made my point a bit better.

Guys, Hunting in New Zealand you can't walk too far without crossing a stream. Hence going outdoors equals wet feet. Below the snowline, what's wrong with wet feet anyway? Your boots get soft, they warm up nicely as you walk and in my opinion it's actually more comfortable. Guys I hunt with often look for a stream to get their boots wet in so walking is more comfortable. They always dry in front of the fire. Maybe its not the boots that need changing but the idea that wet is bad.