Thread: Static elec on new sleeping bag

Mini Goon

I just got a new down bag. I unpacked it to let it expand and immediately it started to attract all the fibres and dust from the floor. I left it hanging up and thought that the static was just from being packed and would disperse but after 8-9 it is still just as bad. I have never seen static this strong tbh. I tested by laying a hair (thoughtfully left behind by my dog) flat on my hand and moving my hand towards the bag. When 4-5 inches away the hair is pulled off my hand and flies onto the bag.

Does anyone know how I can get rid of the static? I don't want to wash it or anything as it is new.

Also, what effect will static have on the loft of the down - if any? I am thinking it may make the down stick together and reduce loft but maybr itis just on the shell fabric and won't effect the down filling as it is a naturel substance?

I am a bit concerned if this becomes a future problem. I seem to generate static very badly when wearing anything made of polyester. The bag is supposed to be nylon inner and outer so hopefully it won't be too bad but it isn't a good start.

Failing a method to disperse the static perhaps someone could tell me how to wire it up to power a torch or tent lantern?

Just use it for a bit without a bag liner. Skin oils and sweat wil soon sort the static.

Euuggh - but true

Try hanging it on your washing line and let the wind toss it around a bit.

When I got my Equinox, every time I went inside it my hair floated out like I was holding a Van de Graaf generator. It was very amusing for those around me.

A couple of hours pitched in the garden sorted it.

Ultra King
    You could try holding 'bag and "earthing" yourself to something metal like a radiator or fence-post, but not near anything 'sensitive', could blow fuse if charge to high! Might work, no harm in trying. h

Mini Goon
    Thanks for the replies. I have tried the earthing approach with no success and touching it with metal. I had thought of hanging in outside for a while this evening as from research it seems that more moist air can help but thewind here is too strong at the moment for a delicate bag and it is forecast similar tomorow.