Thread: help needed with mildew!!!

Widdler
    help!!!! unpacked my outwell hartford xl tent bank holiday and to my horror there was a horrible smell and patches of mildew in the roof. have to say i was gutted, thought i put it away dry. i just dont know how to get rid of the mildew without damaging the tent. i have heard about using peroxides or 1cup salt, 1 cup lemon to 1 gallon of water. will this work on my tent or is that for the canvass types? any help at all will be very appreciated

Hi,, you can prevent it getting any worse, but you will never get the stain out. I recommend that you buy proper stuff from a caravan shop. Don't be to hard on yourself, everyones done it! GWIW

We have covered mildew treating for outdoors gear quite a lot, will see if I can dig out the links ok! A big welcome here to OM from me too Stuart.

I dooooooooooooon't belive it.

Oh! sorry missread the title

Welcome to the forum by the way Stuart.

Widdler

Iwould be very careful with caravan products - they might be designed for fibreglass or hard plastics and could damage fabric - read the label carefully.

You could try a dilute solution of 'Milton' baby bottle sterilising solution (from Boots or most chemists). This has no soap or detergent content so won't damage the waterproofing (but might bleach it a bit of left on too long). Alternatively a solution of bicarbonate of soda (baking soda - NOT baking powder) will remove the smell.

To prevent this happening again, get it really thoroughly dry next time (we hang ours over the landing stair-rail for about a week every time) and pack it loosely in eg a cotton pillowcase for storage rather than rolled up tight. Store it somewhere very dry. Sheds and garages are usually just not dry enough.

Widdler

hi guys. cheers for all your great advise. i have gone with washing it with milton fluid. with the size of the tent it is very hard to hang anywhere to dry out but i found a place now. lesson learnt about being completely dry when packing away!!!! gonna store it in sons room now that he has gone to join military. it has provided me with a dry store room!!!!!

Good stuff there Stuart! Glad we could help!