Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Bivi for a beginner?

Quote Originally Posted by captain paranoia View Post

You could play with the origami tarp.

It's a rectangle of fabric with four eyelets/attachment points along one edge. You tie to the inner two points, and pull them across to the opposite side, thus forming a shaped roof.

Needs no cutting or sewing.

Paper prototype below.

Caveat: not tried with fabric, or life-size...
    D-E-S-I-G-N-E-R TARP... I like that !!

Hang the middle from a tree and no pole..

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar

> Some hammock tarps do that on both ends.

So does the piece of paper on my desk that I used to test the idea again before I posted... The original must have been taken home...

It makes a nice hat, too. The paper one, that is...

That's the beauty of a tarp. You can make many different shelters from it.

I Had a play with the origami tarp last night. It's easier to tie the two middle grommets together than try to peg out with guys. - I've pointed this out on one of the pics.

I think itshould be named the 'Stealth'

I think I added a rear pole to photo no:2, but a rucsack would probably do the same.

Ultra King

Anyone know of a good tarp techniques website? Got a tarp recently and never used one before. I also need to know what I need to kit it out. It came with a long length of cord (about 3-4mm) with the idea that it gets used in the Ray Mears demnonstrated jungle hammock type of shelter tarp. I'll be using it on hills, probably high up to try to escape midges.

Another thing any technique needs to be very simple,I hate faff. Thats why I like single skin tents as they pitch so quickly (just stick the poles in and peg out, no threading poles through sleeves).

Mini Goon

Well my Skyehigh and Hunka arrived this morning (less than 23 hours, without the express delivery!), haven't got round to opening it yet though. Just need to get the tarp and stove/bts and bobs sorted and i'll be out testing it at the soonest possibility.

EDIT: I've just opened the package and tested them out, no worries about space in either. I got the large bag and XL Hunka and am starting to think the regular ones would have been long enough. Length wise the Skyehigh is about right, and it's very roomy (I coule probably fit two of me in there), which means it shoud be comfortable to sleep in (I like to move around a lot). The Hunka is huge, almost a tent in itself, plenty of room to put anything in it, and being black, looks like it will be very discrete.

BTW, for anyone interested, nemo is the bright blue and black bag, not the slightly greeny blue one (logical, but I wasn't sure when I ordered).

Ultra King
    XL Hunka! Please don't tempt me so. I wonder if the fabric is as good as the Rab SZ. Let us know if you get condensation inside it on a night with bad conditions Amp34.

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar

> I Had a play with the origami tarp last night.

I like it when people try my mad ideas out for me... especially when they were only invented for a bit of a laugh...

> It's easier to tie the two middle grommets together than try to peg out with guys

But my gut feeling is that it won't be as versatile or as secure. I might have to get some fabric and play...

I don't know about versatile and secure, since nothing much has changed. Just trying to get those inside guys crossed out was a right chore.. I gave up. If you're going to try it, try putting out the front guys first.

Nice pocket sleeves for some aluminium poles along the edges would be quite cool as well, just to give it that convex look and add a bit of weight.

If you invented it for a bit of a laugh - it sure worked.. Certainly got a laugh from my missus when she saw me playing soldiers in the garden !!

Quote Originally Posted by captain paranoia View Post

> I Had a play with the origami tarp last night.

I like it when people try my mad ideas out for me... especially when they were only invented for a bit of a laugh...

> It's easier to tie the two middle grommets together than try to peg out with guys

But my gut feeling is that it won't be as versatile or as secure. I might have to get some fabric and play...
    Actually try it and see.

Time to go, don't think it matters which bivi you get, you'll get condensation in any conditions. I have the SZ and it has never failed to get a bit damp on the inside. You can reduce it a little by selecting a site that allows a wind to travel across you as you sleep.

Trevor DC Gamble

Trevor DC Gamble