Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bivi for a beginner?

Amp34 wrote (see)

How did you go about making the tabs (any good guides I can look at?), and how did you attach them on to material/make reinforced areas (as I understand it is difficult to glue Silnylon together, I assume standard PU doens't have that problem)? Also I assume I would need to sew all edges up as none of the edges will come already with seams?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

While sewing the hem (double stitched for strength)around the edge I encorporated the re-enforcing triangles into the corners and one on the middle ofeach of the 4 straight edges so it was sewn under the hem. The re-enforcing tabs then double stitched around their edges to make a strong bond, no glue used. The tabs were then stitched onto the reenforced patches using nylon webbing.

this site is a good pattern. although by putting an extra twist on the tabs to what is shown in the link they lie flat - I'll try and take some pics of my tarp to explain what I mean if interested?

Use of a sewing machine I'd say is a bit of a necessity though or its going to take a while by hand. I guess that where glueing instead of sewing comes in?

Useable space for sure R_Mac... However sleeping space in a Spacepacker is limited and not for lanky folks IMO.

I have an Akto, a Spacepacker and a Satellite Plus - I would tend to agree with Matt on this one.

Nice tarp Andy, you should post on the 'Make Your Own Gear' thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hols View Post
    I'm a tick magnet and they were crawling all over my sleeping bag when I woke up last weekend (in a tent aswell)-not fun.
    Sounds like you would make a great sacrificial friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Fossil Bluff View Post

Useable space for sure R_Mac... However sleeping space in a Spacepacker is limited and not for lanky folks IMO.

I have an Akto, a Spacepacker and a Satellite Plus - I would tend to agree with Matt on this one.

Sleeping space yes, I can see that would be an issue, not so big an issue with the Phreeranger though as it has plenty of head/foot height. It'll take a size 'Long' in a Pacific Outoors Ether Thermo 6 and has enough width for 2 standard rectangular mats side by side without overlapping which my Laser can't manage.The maximum length of the Laser inner is slightly more than the Phreeranger but only on the centerline as the inner tapers to a point at the ends unlike the Phreeranger which is square ended.

HI Amp, my vote goes to Hunka and a Golite Shangri-La 1, you can always upgrade and buy the floor. Better when the weather comes in. GWIW

http://www.shelby.fi

reccomed these guys, buying your own fabric is difficult. i am making a 1/2 nest for my shangri-la 3, which is vey difficult

These suggestions of how to set up a tarp from Parky's link are interesting GalleryTheTarp looks pretty good too.

I have a camo army basha of a similar design except it looks to be built to a heavier gauge and capable of being used as a stretcher - possibly a hammock !! - Must try that..

[QUOTE=Mole;687773]

Quote Originally Posted by Gotwhatiwant View Post

i am making a 1/2 nest for my shangri-la 3, which is vey difficult
    I'm toying with the idea of a two thirds nest, so that it can still take two people and have a useable porch area. I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that buying a second nest and adapting it is going to be way simpler, and quite possibly cheaper

That looks to be laid out quite like a DD tarp. Might have a go at some of those setups in the garden this weekend. As if the wife didn't think I was mad already..
    Quote Originally Posted by Bog Trotter View Post

These suggestions of how to set up a tarp from Parky's link are interesting GalleryTheTarp looks pretty good too.

I have a camo army basha of a similar design except it looks to be built to a heavier gauge and capable of being used as a stretcher - possibly a hammock !! - Must try that..

More basic tarp set-ups here.You can substitute trekking poles for the trees.

Mini Goon
    Right, well I have just this second ordered a Nemo Skyehigh 600 and a Hunka XL (gives me more space at the side too for clothes, thermarest insideand such, which the Hunka seems to small for?). Just need to sort out the tarp now, depends if my mum is willing to sew the seams together... (she has a sewing machine..). Then hopefully i'll be heading off for dartmoor some time after the 23rd.

Considered a Poncho? 7'x5' approx.., just tie up the head part and useful for waterproofs too.

Black OneAmerican Camo

Thanks Bog TRotter

That site also sells the cheap camo poly tarps in various sizes £4.99 for a 6' by 8'...

Does anyone put a tarp or suchlike beneath the Bivi or just all sleep directly on the ground?

Ultra King
    Anyone know if Rab do a SZ in a longer length? I like the SZ fabric and found it too short by about 2-3". I would rather get a Rab SZ in XL than a hunka XL, don't know why just would. I can heartily recommend the Alpkit Gourdon sacks, they seem to wet out a little on the outside yet stay dry inside and the outer dries very quickly indeed. This means you are not going to be carrying a wet sack like most standard sacks.

i use a groundsheet more to keep the bivvy clean than anything else. also doubles up as a shoulder wrap in the morning or if required, a tarp extension - a beak type arrangement.

Mini Goon
    Right, I went into my local army surplus this morning, and a poncho was £20, so definately not gotting one from there to test out. Mole, that looks cheap, any idea of the weight? May get that instead if the tarp is to difficult to do.

Amp The poly tarps are lighter than army ponchos for sure.

You must have come across this sort of tarp? Builders use bright blue ones all the time - on skips etc. Heavier grade shaped green ones are used to cover garden furniture etc..

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar

You could play with the origami tarp.

It's a rectangle of fabric with four eyelets/attachment points along one edge. You tie to the inner two points, and pull them across to the opposite side, thus forming a shaped roof.

Needs no cutting or sewing.

Paper prototype below.

Caveat: not tried with fabric, or life-size...

Some hammock tarps do that on both ends.