Thread: Hello

Widdler
    Hi everyone. Thought I'd better introduce myself, out of politeness really. I think I'll probably be irritating you all with many questions, badly framed, that may make you scratch your heads and wonder what the hell I'm doing on a forum involved with wild camping.

Well, while I'm new to this forum I'm also new to wild camping. Fatherhood, finance and an odd line of work have caused me to leave it a bit late to start, I suppose (actually, I'm only 39 - I'm hoping there's all the time in the world, really), but since doing it for only one night last month I'm hooked.

As a kid I went to the Lakes many times and only ever wanted to see stuff, not walk to it. The last time I went there, before last month, was 14 years ago. Went back early April and it honestly felt like I'd only been a couple of weeks away. My girlfriend and I packed rucksacks and walked for 3 days from Fisherground in Eskdale via Wasdale Head, Styhead Tarn and up to Keswick. I've never felt so calm and relaxed and 'natural'.

So I'm going back mid June for 3 nights (from Kent, quite a trek), and I can't wait.

Anyway, I'll stop banging on. Think I might post a few questions now. I've noticed everyone, when discussing how things fit in your backpack, seems to have their tents inside the pack, rather than strapped to the outside. I knew I've been doing something wrong...

Ultra King

Hello Quentin,

It is addictive, so have your credit card ready

Where in Kent are you?

Hi Quentin,

Welcome to the forum.

Don't worry, unless it is unsafe there isn't a 'wrong' way to do things. Plenty of people have plenty of different ways and preferences, what works for them, what seems logical to them.

Enjoy what you do.

Widdler
    Hi Mick and Atlas,

Thanks for the welcome. I've just posted my first question - I hope it doesn't mark me out as too much of a novice!

My credit card is next to my mouse )

I'm from Tunbridge Wells. Only 7 hours from the lakes.

) was meant to be a smile. Not sure how to do smileys. D'oh!

welcome quentin. keep sanity pills near the mouse too.

oook!

‹bermensch

Welcome Quentin, might I suggest inside when it,s dry outside when it,s wet. Also make it the first thing to get at when you want to pitch, you dont want your pack wide open in the rain. Pitchfirst. Then drag your sack to the tent door open it up and throw everything inside. I have a system so when I throw, each item goes to it,s own place in the tent.Pack stays in the vestibule,I like that word cheers.

Welcome to the great OM there Quentin. Hope you enjoy it here!