Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Access points for open access

Recently we hit problems here

http://www.openaccess.gov.uk/wps/por...9/.d/0#7_3_312

There was an obvious track down to a path at mill house but the owner had put up notices to go back, consult map, and follow way marks (didn't spot any).

Is there any where where you can find access points?

The site above gives you the open access areas, but does not seem to give access points.

Thanks

Jackie & Dennis

Sorry... but clicking on the link above only gets me a blank space with no map in it. I haven't a clue what part of the country you're visiting.

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar

> Recently we hit problems here

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to show 'here'. Probably because the URL is some sort of dynamic thing that represents your search criteria, and it's now defunct. Given my experience with government websites, it wouldn't surprise me that they don't make hyperlinks that are useful. In fact, there must be a govt department whose job is to go around tweaking URLs slightly all the time, so that they all go defunct rather quickly. Either that, or the department is re-organised or re-named and all the old information is now lost...

> Is there any where where you can find access points?

Sorry, don't know. You might try emailing them to suggest this.

Widdler

It was only an example - its a general question - we can find details of open access but not access points.

The area was Calf Top near Barbon in Cumbria - not far from Kirkby Lonsdale.

We did e-mail the openaccess.gov.uk nearly a week ago, but no response as yet.

That's why we posted the question here.

Jackie

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar

> We did e-mail the openaccess.gov.uk nearly a week ago, but no response as yet.

That's 'open government' for you...

You could always phone for information - 0845-1003298.

That way, they can't hide under their desks!

I've had a look at the mapping around Mill House, and I can't for the life of me see a problem. The Access Land actually touches a junction of rights of way, so I don't see how you could be barred from using that as an access point. For the next few weeks ahead, there's no ban on open access in that area, so presumably there's no problem either. Maybe you should report the notices and see if that produces an explanation.

There were to carefully created notices whichindicated no right of way through the farm to the public footpath going up the lane.

They had been made at some expense.

Basically said look at your map return up the track and follow waymarks.

We had spotted no way marks.

We were exploring for a lead this sunday - so there is an alternative way through broken wall down gill and onto footpath.

Whilst there is clearly a specific issue at that point, we were looking to find out if access points are listed anywhere.

It seems a little frustrating to have open access and no clear way of getting to,without running the risk of upsetting someone.

PS many thanks for replies.

‹bermensch
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Dillon View Post

You could always phone for information - 0845-1003298.

That way, they can't hide under their desks!
    or 02890921704 (www.saynoto0870.com)

Well... saying no to an 0870 number is one thing... but the cost difference between phoning an 0845 number and an 028 number is significant... the latter being in Northern Ireland!

‹bermensch

It is an offence to place on or near access land, or on a way leading to access land, any notice containing false or misleading information likely to deter the public from exercising the right of access conferred by the Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000 (CRoW).

The trig point on the summit of Calf Top lies a few metres outside the Yorkshire Dales National Park. I'd be inclined to contact the national park and and ask for the address of the Local Access Forum (LAF) which can take action to relolve such isues. It would be helpful if OMers would always give grid references for all queries concerning locations.

Dennis and Jackie - can you clarify something for me please?

Are you trying to use the farm access road to reach the designated 'open access' on the other side? If so, then I guess it's a private road and you've no right to be on it anyway.

Is there some reason you don't want to approach the designated 'open access' using one of the two rights of way that lead to it already, and which don't involve passing the farm?

We were descending west off Calf Top, following a well defined track down to Mill House (GR SD 635 855). This is an Open access area. Just before the entrance to the Mill House Yard there were two gates which we thought would give us our exit point from the fell. It was on the first gate that the notice was attached. We couldn't see any other waymarkson the access land so we went through the gates climbing one and opening the other.

The public right of way through Mill House approaching from the other direction along the lane was signposted.

Out main concern ishow do we know where are the access points are defined. Both on the map and on the ground this was the obvious point of access and egress from this area.

Many thanks for all your help and quick responses

Dennis & Jackie

Fair enough... if an area of open access has a gate leading onto a public right of way, then I'd expect the gate to be a valid access point. If the notice told you to follow the waymarks, and there weren't any waymarks, then I guess you did the right thing by going through the gate and joining the right of way.

As for me... my bag is packed and I'm heading off for the day to the Lakes, where open access is something that's always been available!

‹bermensch
    Us lot who live in Scotland just watch this thread in amazement and say ' you poor sods'.

Goon

I'm not so sure that is very different to Scotland, as Jackie said there was " no right of way through the farm to the public footpath" i.e someones house lies between the access land and the RoW, although of course in Scotland you could skirt round the house in the fields.

Access points were a major issue in implementing access rights, because there wasn't anywhere near enough budget to provide them where they did't exist and depend on the goodwill of the landowners if (as here) there isn't direct access from a RoW to the land.

If my geography is correct, this is in Cumbria not the national park and I've found the Council Access Team there pretty helpful, the contact details are on the Cumbria Local Access Forum site.

Thank you - we have sent an e-mail to the Cumbria local access forum.

‹bermensch
    Let us know the outcome, please!

Yes we will keep you updated when we get a response. Thanks again.