Thread: Packed Living -- Aether 70 or Argon 70?

Widdler

By 'packed living' I mean not only living out of my pack, but also the compressed nature of living on the road and off the grid.

I've read that the Aether 70 fits nicely in the overhead bins of trains. How much of a size difference is there between the Aether and the Argon (both 70)?

Running to catch a bus or train connection, will the Argon begin feeling like it is dragging me down? Will I be thinking "I wish I had something less bulky"? From what people say of Osprey suspensions, that seems relatively doubtful.

I don't doubt that both packs are great in the wilderness, so I will be judging them on the differences they have on the way there.

Widdler

A few other considerations:

a) I am not actually leaving the wilderness out of the equation; part of me worries that the Aether's frame has an upper limit that I might bump into in my quest to be out in the wild. b) Great deals on both! $200 for the Aether and $290 Argon. Should I just splurge that 90 and go with a more serious pack? Or is the Aether more likely to feel streamlined in such hybridized environments as those I'm envisioning?

Widdler
    c) Size large, which means a 3L difference (73L for Aether and 76L for Argon).

Hello John,

Welcome to the forum.

Where are you going and how long for? What are you looking to carry in the pack?

Aether 70 will not fit easily into overhead shelves on British trains: I have one and I've tried. It doesn't work. Many European trains have larger overhead shelves, and these the Aether probably will fit into. Don't know about the rest of the world.

Widdler

Man on stilts--

Good to know, thanks. I assume you say don't worry about the rest of the world because it is highly unlikely I will find many trains where the pack fits?

AtlasLion--

The biggest thing is--I don't know. In true nomadic fashion I expect the journey to led me where I'm trying to go. Specifically I am looking at this pack to support cross country journeys in the US and a (hopeful) pan-European adventure. In both occasions I will spend signican time in the outdoors but also there will be periods where I am just traveling from city to city seeing friends.

Basically I am only buying one pack for the forseeable future. I want it to be large enough to support a week out in the wild (quite possibly packed differently than when I am carrying it in the city). However, this will not always be the case, so it needs to be large enough to carry food in addition to clothes, a tent, a stove (small burner), a sleeping bag, a footprint, and the tech stuff I have for the city (netbook, ipod).

I need it to be versatile enough that whatever situation I need it for, it can handle. For instance, will either pack be comfortable with a much smaller load? (stuffed into airbags so the pack can compress evenly, perhaps)

John H: I'm not saying "don't worry about the rest of the world". I'm saying I have no experience of train travel outside Europe, so I don't know whether an Aether 70 will fit on the luggage shelves.

On many European trains it will fit; but it won't on a British 125 or Pendolino.

Widdler

@Man on stilts

Sorry mate, I totally misread that! My bad.