Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GR5 Alps Section

Widdler
    Is there anyone with any usful information, helpful tips etc about the northern section from St Gingolph by Lac Leman to Les Houches. I'm doing this walk next year and would welcome any constructive or unconstructive comments.

Goon
    I'm thinking of doing the same walk next year too, so can I join in please? I've got the book (Martin Collins - Cicerone) and have done the very last bit from Brevant to Les Houches as part of the Tour of M Blanc which I did in 2000.

Hello Helen & Jenny,

Well if you two do end up going together, come and stay with us in Chamonix at the end (you would be more than welcome).

Back to the point, ss for tips try and walk the route in the first weeks of July as you will miss the worst of the madding crowd and have a good chance of some fine weather. Dependent on the way the season has gone (lots of snow/no snow) you will still be able to see some fine alpine flora in the meadows too. Avoid the whole of August, its mad with tourists and day-trippers.

Book huts as soon as you can would be the advice. I have attached a link to a good site with all the phone numbers you will need for booking (note that some of the numbers in the book you have are no longer current).

Although there are more scenic walks in the alps, the section you are doing is very nice with nothing I would suggest to avoid or bypass (there are a few, I would have to show you as I'm rubbish at trying to describe things long distance...one of the ODM weekend away perhaps?). Just remember, don't take too much gear, all the people I have taken on treks in the area have all been way overloaded and has spoilt the trip for many of then.

Oh, the link...

http://grinfos.free.fr/

Widdler
    Hi Jenny
    I too have the Martin Collins book and you would be very welcome to join me next year. I reckon 2 people can have more fun than one.

Goon
    Sorry Helen, bit of misunderstanding, I meant can I join in with the useful information request. I am hoping to do the walk with my husband next year or the year after but will not know for definite yet for some time, probably 2005 now. Hope you have a great time and look forward to a report in due course?

Heidi, that link does not appear to work?

Goon
    Sorry Heidi, just tried again and it worked ok this time.

Anybody know somewhere to stay in Geneva and do boats run from there to St Gingolph?

Goon
    Can I resurrect this thread - any advice on transport from Geneva to the start of GR5, at St Gingolph, please?

‹bermensch
    Public transport details can be found on the Swiss Railways web site www.sbb.ch
    Use the online timetable. The main route shown is by train to Montreux or nearby,then steamer across the lake to St Gingolph.There will be a steamer route direct from Geneva but you will have to leave in the morning. An alternative route is from Geneva Eaux Vives station via Annemasse. This ends up at the French St. Gingolph. The choice will depend on what time you wish to leave Geneva.

Widdler
    The central backpackers hostel
    (see http://www.cityhostel.ch/English/index.html
    )
    looks quite nice and very central. Geneva is tiny and easy to get around by either walking or public transport.

Boat information and timetables are at:
    http://www.cgn.ch
    There is an english version. The trip across the lake is lovely on a nice day, I'd really recommend it as a start to your trip. If you need any more information, let me know, I'm just outside Geneva.

Emma

Goon
    Anybody done this recently staying in refuges, gites and auberges? Planning to walk St Gingolph to Chamonix in six days next year and would welcome benefit of experience.

Just got back from Evian and did some walking in the Pays du Leman (partly on the gR5 before where you're starting). The boats as they take a long time to get to St. Gingolph and the railway line through France stops at Evian (there are buses from Evian to St. Gingolph but it's a seasonal timetable and in September the earliest was midday-ish). Basically the public transport in the French part of the lakeside is nowhere near as good as the on the Swiss side.

Alternatively, you can get the train around the northern side of the lake via Lausanne & Montreaux. Though cheap accommodation is available in Geneva, you might want to get round the lake as soon as and stay nearer St. Gingolph (trains go direct to Lausanne & probably Montreaux as well as into the Valais) driect from the airport - look at the website mentioned above.

The boats are lovely though and we had a great 3 hour journey back from Lausanne to Geneva to finish off.

Goon
    Thanks for that. Hoping to get an early flight Birmingham - Geneva and then get to St Gingolph in time to walk a couple of hours or so on the GR5 to Novel where there is accommodation, all on day 1.

‹bermensch
    Which Airline is flying Birmingham - Geneva next year? I thought Duo had gone bust.

According to:

http://www.whichbudget.com/en/cheapflights.php?from=BHX

BMI Baby and Airtours (charters) will be. I've not had to rely on that site yet though, so can't vouch for it's accuracy, but it was recommended by a mate.

Goon
    or try www.charterflights.co.uk

I think I have seen somewhere that another airline is going to start flying from Birmingham to European cities but cannot remember which one or where I read it -maybe it was just wishful thinking..

Otherwise, get up in the middle of the night again to get the early Easyjet flight from Luton, which I would much rather not do.

Goon
    Just heard that BMIbaby are starting flights from Birmingham to Geneva in January. Don't yet have details of timetable or prices.

Widdler
    Yes and in addition Easy Jet now fly to Geneva from Bristol (summer timetable out in Feb I believe) so for those of us living 'out in the sticks' we don't need to drive hundreds of miles and get out of bed at 2am in the morning!

‹bermensch
    This is great IF these are in the Summer timetable. They may be only for the skiing season.

‹bermensch
    I prefer to tent (to avoid the snorers)than do the huts .Is this possible at least some of the time .A 1985 book from the library says campsites are plentiful ,is this so?I already have good earplugs.

‹bermensch
    Easyjet are taking Summer bookings Bristol - Geneva and return. One flight a day.