Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wild camp gear musings

You can dry some foods without a dehydrator NPC. I've succesfully dried mushrooms by laying them on a sheet of paper in the airing cupboard.

minced beef jalfrezi.

i have the westfalia deehydrater npc.i bought it cause it was cheap and if i did not like dehydrating then i have not wasted a fortune.next time i will buy a better dehydrater like the ones on bobs site.

it cost me £5 to make the jalfrezi and that makes 3-4 meals. you know you want one!

[QUOTE=Mike fae Dundee;684953]
    Quote Originally Posted by </blockquote>You can dry some foods without a dehydrator NPC. I've succesfully dried mushrooms by laying them on a sheet of paper in the airing cupboard.[/QUOTE
    Unfortunately that won't work for me as we have a combi boiler and no airing cupboard. Even getting bread dough to prove is a challenge in winter.

Ray !!!!!;684957]

it cost me £5 to make the jalfrezi and that makes 3-4 meals. you know you want one!
    It looks tasty! You on commission?

Ultra King

I've dried chillis in a warm room in my house. I tied the stalks onto a piece of string and hung it up. Worked well as I recently found one that had dropped off after about 2-3 years and it is still ok (it dropped down the back of some furniture not a case of bad housekeeping). Not using it though as the home grown chillis were not hot enough as it wasn't a hot summer and they need heat and sun to generate their heat.

Want a dehydrator as I resent buying outdoor dried food. Super market dried food does not taste too nice.

BTW - has anyone else noticed that chilli beans and rice does not re-hydrate well in the field? I am talking about the main outdoors dried food makes.

Ray - Can place an order for 2 jalfrezi and a list of your other recipes? Do you have a price list?

Has anyone tried to dry food in the oven perhaps on those tefal non-stick oven papers you can buy? I take it that it needs a fan oven to do this.

"in a warm room in my house"

Hmm, interesting concept. My house is old and only warms up in the height of summer. On Thursdays. If I'm lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Time to go View Post

BTW - has anyone else noticed that chilli beans and rice does not re-hydrate well in the field? I am talking about the main outdoors dried food makes.

Thank God it's not just me!

I love chilli con carne but it just does not seem to work very well. The flavour of the rehydrated chilli is rubbish, the beans are leathery despite being well-cooked in the original dish and the rice always seems to be gritty, despite being properly pre-cooked and rehydrated.

Pasta dishes are always excellent and virtually indistinguishable from the original dish. I did a sausage and Cannellini bean casserole a few weeks ago and it rehydrated a treat.

Any tips for successfully dehydrating chilli and rice, anyone?

God I am dithering about that bargain dehydrator.

On the one hand; I think, "It's only £26.99, if I make x number of meals and then don't use it again, I will have got my money's worth compared to the cost of bought dehy'd food".

On the other hand, I think, "Buy cheap, buy twice".

Has anyone got that particular model from Westphalia?? clicky

Or, what DO you use?

We went for the Excalibur 5 tray model (got a good deal on it because another model was out of stock). It does seem very good, and apparently it'll prove bread dough too.....

Goon

I bought the Westphalia. It's a reasonable bit of kit for the money. I bought it as 'toe in the water' to see if the concept works, how the food tastes etc. So far mine's run for about 50+ hours no probs and I now have a freezer full of dehydrated meals. It's fun experimenting with it.

http://campingcookbook.blogspot.com/

I was concerned primarily about space in the kitchen and w/p one is light enough to be put on top of a cupboard. Plus £100 ish is a lot for my solo use.

Having to use baking paper is a hassle though and it does degrade the performance - the air goes around rather than through the food. The w/p one and similar designs are primarily for fruit / herbs rather than sloppy meals.

I'm close to getting my money's worth from it, if it croaks I'll probably upgrade.

HTH

‹bermensch

Talking hot breakfasts, I like real porridge I also like golden syrup but dont want to carry it so, I take real porridge and oats so simple sachets, For breks its two tablespoons porridge add one sachet simple its really good with teriffic flavour,I often add real oats to Knorr soups this makes a full but quick dinner. On pans I pack a cheap stainless steel pan with pan grip, its clean in a flash even if burnt, weight difference 20 30 grams.

i love porridge. hate oats so simple. mix the two. genius. it's easy when you know how. thanks waldo.

I'm gonna have to try that one as well. Thanks from me too

Mini Goon
    I got the Westfalia one. Works pretty well. OK, if I was going to do tons of dehydrating I might go for something better but works fine for me. Does meals with baking paper in the tray no problems.

‹bermensch

Eh, Thanks Kate a Brownie point at last .

Quote Originally Posted by waldo View Post

Eh, Thanks Kate a Brownie point at last .
    Ah well, in case you get too smug, I reckoned you'd have to pick up one or two useful tips in your long life!

‹bermensch

I know you did,nt think much of my theory on Roman roads I can,t think why that was!You,re still my favourite though. Long life? eighty one on friday .Keep smiling..

Goon

Stop press.

My w/p one has just started playing up (it's only a month old) it's either overheating or blowing the plug fuses but it's just stopped twice in the last 10 minutes. last time new fuse but it only lasted 3 minutes.

It's a bit of a bugger as I've just loaded it up with 3 portions of rice and 1 of fish curry. It's got 'til 11.00 or all that grub has to go in the freezer. Damn!

Hope I kept the return slip

Quote Originally Posted by Rog Thedodge View Post

Stop press.

My w/p one has just started playing up (it's only a month old) it's either overheating or blowing the plug fuses but it's just stopped twice in the last 10 minutes. last time new fuse but it only lasted 3 minutes.

It's a bit of a bugger as I've just loaded it up with 3 portions of rice and 1 of fish curry. It's got 'til 11.00 or all that grub has to go in the freezer. Damn!

Hope I kept the return slip
    NOW he tells me.....
    I accidentally ordered one tonight

Goon

Actually I was going to blame you - me posting on here that it was OK put the kybosh on it.

It's overheating, not the fuse.

I've just spent the last 10 minutes trimming the edges of the baking paper circles to get more air circulating (not easy when they're covered in food!). Seems to have sorted it.

As I said up there it's 'OK' but you have to accept you're using it beyond its intended purpose. All being well I'll be in credit if you cost it in terms of bought meals by the end of this dehy session.

Welcome to the world of baking paper and anxious moments!

-----------------------

Re the point above about rice - I don't know why commercial dehy/rehy rice doesn't work. My simple at home rice works brilliantly