Thread: Buying a tent, im lost help!

Widdler

Hi, could someone point me in the right direction for buying a tent, I plan on buying it tonight from the web and have a few in mind but cant make my mind up

Was looking at the tempest, coleman aviorx2, azrec esquina or something like that and also a jack wolfskin and the banshee.

I have around 80-100 to spend, I read a few reviews on the coleman and tempest and they both seem ok.

The tempest got some good reviews, but is there a huge difference between the two. I can buy the coleman avior from my local camping store tomorrow but the tempest i will have to wait on and id rather get away sooner, but wondering if you guys think the tempest is better than the coleman and if I should just be patient!

Anyadvice welcomed, also any other suggestions on tent would be great.

Hi Dillo and welcome to the forum .

Tents well its a minefield out there !!

It all comes down to a few important personal things like[*]1 person plus storage space inside tent[*]weight[*]porch space for cooking/storage[*]head height[*]packability[*]And the most important COLOUR red is best.....[/list]

Once you can narrow these things down it cuts out some of the competition and leaves you with less choice.

So if you know what size.

What weight

What head hieght

Etc you would be happy with then a lot of poeple can then give you a better choice to go for....

My personal choice would be the a Red Tempest as i have had one and think its a cracking tent for bad weather and roomy as hell for one with ample space to cook in the porch if the weathers not so good.

Hope this helps a little.

The Didster!!

Oh. Didd's Didd's Didd's are you still on with the red thing, make the change. Green all the way

Quote Originally Posted by G rand View Post
    Oh. Didd's Didd's Didd's are you still on with the red thing, make the change. Green all the way
    Cant do mate as this place would be so dull without the old Green/red debate now wouldn't it .

I did once have a green tempest not a red one like i mistakenly put if that helps .

If possible, don't buy until you've seen them pitched for real and had a crawl around and "test lie" in them. With tents the devil is often in the detail and you may find that waht looks the same on a diagram is rather different in the flesh. Also, seeing how easy they are to pitch to start with is useful info, and again seeing it for real is the best way to differentiate.

It's not always possible, but if it is then it's daft not to.

Pete.

Widdler

Hi, I have seen the banshee pitched and it looked pretty good. Im going to be cycling with this tent, so I have big panniers that most of my stuff will fit in and their waterproof so storage area isn't a must.

Just need some info on the tents from people who may have used them, im so tempted by the banshee and coleman because of the side door, looks like you could just lie down and have your brew on at the same time.

So anyone used these tents? whats your recommendations?

Widdler

Cheers for all the info guys, I think im going to go for the tempest, everything I have read has been positive and offers everything I need.

Does anyone know of a good site on the net that does the tent at a good price?

Mini Goon