Thread: Home-made rations

Mini Goon

A question for all you lightweight experts out there: has anyone tried makingthere own version ofReuter's ChocolateMuesli (or similar breakfast) with muesli and powdered milk? Thing is, I'd like to be able to 'eat from the bag' like the ones you can buy but can't find anything strong enough. So what (if any) bags do people use to prepare this kind of stuff so as to avoid it ending up everywhere in you pack?

Suggestions welcome )

Craig

Ziplock freezer bags are good for this - the thicker types with folds on the bottom designed for pouring soups into are tough and durable; available from Tescos and doubtless other supermarkets.

I like to buy 1kg, split into 3 or 4 helpings and add powdered milk, then just add water and eat from the bag.

Put the whole lot in a bigger bag just in case ...

Judy

'pour and store' bags are very tough and have a gusseted base so they stand up by themselves-you'll need a long handle spoon though or you can cut them down.

Mini Goon

I'll give it a shot, thanks!

Craig

Ultra King Jamie @ www.trekkingbritain.com's Avatar
    Pour and Store < thumbs up! >

Widdler

The best bags I've found are from Lakeland Plastics. You can put them in boiling water and thier still fine.

See this link.

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/boil-a-bag...s/product/1405

Good luck

Ian

Mini Goon
    Usually use pour and store, can get from sainsbury's, but put breakfast e.g. oats, chocolate, milk powder in a separate sandwich bag. That way I use the pour and store to eat supper out of, then can empty the breakfast into it in the morning.

Ultra King Jamie @ www.trekkingbritain.com's Avatar
    Don't see the point really, just take two Pour and Store bags? The pour and store is a lot less fussy or messy and safer than sandwich bags and the Pour and Store bags compress down to mm's thick if you let it all go flat and then lock them. they just slide into a slot in your bag.

Mini Goon

it's a bit tacky.....but the bins at your local climbing wall are probably full of discarded bags that used to hold chalk: strong &gusseted/stand up. Bonus: if you don't wash them out, you get a free indigestion remedy from the chalk residue*

*no, not really, probably. it'd be worse than eating bar snacks or mints from them bowls by the tills at the restauarant

Craig I use normal muesli and a sachet or few spoons of that "just add water" hot chocolate. It works ok and you can add hot water for a sort of nutty, fruity, chocolatey porridge thing.

Mini Goon

These are great for boiling etc, but they are easily punctured.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian R 23 View Post

The best bags I've found are from Lakeland Plastics. You can put them in boiling water and thier still fine.

See this link.

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/boil-a-bag...s/product/1405

Good luck

Ian
    I like the Seal-a-Meal bags - even if you dont have the suction machine. But make sure you reuse as they are plastic heavy... advantage is they can be microwaved, boiled and frozen...

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post

Craig I use normal muesli and a sachet or few spoons of that "just add water" hot chocolate. It works ok and you can add hot water for a sort of nutty, fruity, chocolatey porridge thing.

I'm liking this idea

I use ZipLoc Double Zipper?? (just normal press seal rather than a zip type) Quart freezerbags with a double seal, they don't stand up but I put them in a cozy anyway. I actually bought some Poly-Lina Pour & Store but they're pretty expensive and you only get 8 in a packet. Never had a Ziploc burst yet although Icarry a couple of spares.

I measue out my muesli/whitener/sugar and put it directly into the Ziplocks. You need a long spoon right enough. I use the GSI long spoon, with a disposable teaspoon and my penknife thats all the cutlery I need. The GSI spoon and teaspoon weigh under 15g

Sainsburys pour and stour will take boiling water as well as cold and have measure on side. 94p for 9 bags.