Thread: long sleeve t-shirt for summer use

Widdler

The summer is coming... and I need some new light T-shirts for walking in hot weather.

My requirements are:

*long sleeve for sun protection

*bug (mosquito) protection

*highly odour resistant fabric (very important)

I have an Icebreaker Tech Tee 140 (merino) and I can wear it happily in hottest summer days. I also have a Montane Bionic T with short sleeves and it works very well in hot weather. But I have no experience with long sleeved versions of this T-shirts.

Do you own long sleeved Montane Bionic or Terra T or some 140g/m2 long sleeved T-shirts from Icebreaker? Do you wear them in summer? Or do you wear something else for sun protection? Thanks

Ultra King

Nike Dri-fit works for me and makes a nice base layer for the winter.

For the odour ...........a Lynx bullet.

I just wear short sleeved t-shirts in summer. Like you, i love my Icebreaker Tech Tee.

Midgies/mossie only seem to bother me when i stop walking, or sitting around camp. I then stick on a long sleeved Pertex windshirt and a head-net.

I have a Patty Silkweight LS T I use sometimes in the summer; works fine.

Initiate

Andy,

Have a look at Chocolate Fish merino base layers link here

Just one thing - if you're relying on a long sleeved top + sun hat for sun coverage then the collar type does matter.

A crew cut top leaves an annoying area at the bottom of your neck which the shade from the hat doesn't cover. I discovered this over ~two weeks walking back 'last' summmer. (2006 ).

A zip neck does a better job. A fold up collar even better but they're quite rare in merino.

Icebreaker have polo shirts but I've not looked at the collars on them. Chocolate fish did just introduce a short sleeved polo shirt with a collar which will certainly fold up nicely to cover your neck. No long sleeved version as yet and 190 weight so perhaps a touch warmer than your other bits.

Outright sun protection/super hot weather likely still best done with slightly baggy synthetic shirts. Of course we don't get reliably warm weather here all that often

i have a bionic long sleeve t shirt. it's very good. i use it as a winter base layer.

in summer i always wear shirts - looser fit is cooler, can roll sleeves up or undo front for more ventilation and put collar up to protect neck. dries in no time at all, excellent brow mopping capabilities. easy to wash as it dries whilst you look at it or even quicker if you wear it.

knocks spots off ofa t shirt.

Widdler
    Chocolate Fish merino t-shirts look good. But... isn┬┤t 190 g/m2 too much? Anyone tried them? Are they good quality compared to Icebreaker t-shirts?

I've got an Icebreaker 140 weight l/s crew. Used as my winter baselayer and in some of the recent hot sunny days we've had. Found it to be excellent so far. I have a few icebreaker items and found their quality to be excellent.

As stated though, for summer neck protection you need a collar to stand up. Although I just use my buff folded round or out of my sun had draped down the neck to do this.

icebreaker half price see bargain thread.I have two Embers merino tops and are excellent

Been wearing 190s for about 3 years now (same top) and its great. Wore it through that heatwave in France a couple of years back. No problem. Thinnr stuffive wornfelt clammy more quickly (and it wears out too quick). Don't think the heavier weightmakes you feel hotter- it regulates temperature whatever. Thing is it takes up about 35% of it's own weight before it even starts to feel damp, so the heavier weight works better when its very hot cos it can absorb more sweat.

I cannot recommend the berghaus LSzip tech t-shirt enough. I have2 of them and they are super for what you are looking for and at a decent price.

Look here

Chocolate fish's stuff is very good quality Icebreaker et al no doubt good too but Chocolate fish is made in New Zealand, has nice some nice colours too, nice people running it etc

(They also fit me much better than any other base layer/shirt I've tried (lovely long arms) so I'm basically refusing to wear anything else right now ).

As I understand things Chocolate fish use some of the NZ suppliers that were left behind when Icebreaker moved their production to China.

I wore 190 weight wool back in the last hot summer we had ('06, 30ish degree heat then) without any obvious problems. Merino really does have impressive comfortable temperature range.

Ok if you know you're heading into 25+ degree heat then other options worth thinking about but thats actually quite rare.

Ialsoprefer a loose fitting shirt or polo in the summer and have a couple of synthetic ones.

ButI amthinking of going back to cotton thissummer. It still feels the best, if it's hot synthetics canfeel nasty, and cooling from sweat is to be welcomed.

I have similar requirements, Andy, I have to wear long sleeves and need a proper collar for protection from the sun. I've previously used the Berghaus LS zip Rog the rab whore recommended, but this year have moved on to Smartwool Microweight LS zip. Note these are the Microweight, not the Midweight which have been generally available in the UK (particularly through TKMaxx just over a year ago). I had to track them down in the USA and eventually got them through a US based ebay company.

My experience so far with them has been excellent - as someone else said, it's unusual to find a really lightweight merino with collar, but this one is, and has a collar and zip neck, so I can get my sun protection, lightweight pongless top. I haven't tried them yet in stiffling hot summer, so don't know how they'll cope with me sweating several buckets per second, but one did excellently on a very sunny day in the Black Mountains a fortnight ago, and so far they're beating my previously beloved Berghaus tops.

Like Martin says, the Choclate Fish stuff is goodandtheir zipneck has a high neck that you can fold down like a collar or zip up tothe chin. Got a blue one for the feller and he likes itcos its got long arms and body length too.

Mini Goon

I tend to run hot but have found that Icebreaker kit works well in warm weather, more recently I have picked up some Berghaus tech ts, both the long and short sleeved. These have also been good so far, I like the zip on the long sleeve one for temperature regulation. I've also got something similar from Montane, all good as well

Widdler
    Chocolate fish merino base layers look interesting to me. But how durable are they? Can I wear a 5kg pack directly on 190 weight merino in summer? Or will the pack damage the t-shirt? Any experiences from real life use? Thanks

I wouldn't worry about that - 190 weight merino seems pretty durable to me.

My older icebreaker tops (same weight of wool etc as Choc fish) have seen a respectable amount of wear directly under respectably heavy rucksacks and still seem to be in very good condition.

The lighter weights of wool are presumably a little less durable. I have no idea precisely when/if this becomes a real issue. Some folk here seem to be using 140ish weight stuff without it falling apart

Widdler
    Last year I tried out a silk shirt I bought cheaply from a charity shop and it worked pretty well. Cool, loose fitting with button down cuffs that can be rolled up and a collar that protects against the sun. Also easy to wash, quick-drying and does not smell even after a few days.
    However mine was mid green and after a day out in the sun there were large dark sweat patches which were a bit unsightly. I have a cream coloured one now which I'll use this summer which should look better after several hours tramping the footpaths.

For something a bit warmer, how about a trekmates bamboo long sleeved top? High zipped collar which can be opened up for ventilation, comfy, non smelling and moisture wicking.