Thread: Sockcess at last!

Having size 11 feet with extra wide forefoot and very narrow heel (think flippers), I've rarely had consistently comfortable walking socks. I get maybe about 50 miles out of a pair and they are trashed in some way. The most comfy have been Smartwool ribbed socks followed by'Commando' socks. These both are warm socks.

Coolmax liner socks are ok for summer but don't last long.

Then I read about Ray Jardines preference for 100% nylon socks.

Despite 70's childhood memories of running for fresh air when Dad took off his steelies after work , I decided to give pure nylon socks a try. In particular /forum/smilies/nerd_smiley.gif[/img]301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50]H.J. Hall's Indestructible socks which cost 3.80 from a local store.

Perfect performance. Fit well without any slippage or excess fabric/seams digging in. Haven't had complaints about odour yet - though they definitely started to turn when making them last for 2 hot days when camping...

Have had a couple of hot days in the Brecons at Easter, and a 15 mile squelch across Dartmoor on sunday with damp feet all day. Really comfortable throughout. The only downside is that they are not that warm so I need a wool pair for nightwear when camping...

Dry quickly - light too.

Been wearing them regularly for work as well (got 5 pairs now...)

They are a bit like footy socks but mid length... None of therest of the 'Indestructible' range are 100% polyamide(nylon).

If anyone knows of a suitable 100% nylon short sock, please let me know...

Hi Mole would these work well with fell shoes? Just thinking they might hold less water/drain better.

If you want decent wool hiking/trekkingsocks, try Choclate Fish socks. Wear them for days without a niff. They also do an ankle version and a lighter one thats good with trail /fell shoes. Ive waded through streams in mine and even when soaking wet, the toes have still been cosy. They dont dry as fast as synthetics, but they dry fine overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by John Martin 2 View Post
    <blockquote class="quoteheader"></blockquote>Hi Mole would these work well with fell shoes? Just thinking they might hold less water/drain better.
    Should be fine - I wear them with trail shoes/trainers too. As I say, not that warm when wet after you stop/cool off though .

These were recommended to me - haven't tried them yet though - (was put off by the logo!)

You've made me think, I've got some old rugby socks which I think are all nylon. I'll have to give them a crack.